Canon 6D - Good enough upgrade from a t3i for weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Canon 6D - Good enough upgrade from a t3i for weddings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Davies View Post
If I were to get a 5d2 used I'd rather just spend the little extra and get the 6D for the extra low light capability. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a 5d3. Found a place where I can get it + the 24-105 f4 for £2195 which isn't bad...
I'd absolutely recommend the 5D3 over any of them. I love the 5D3 + 24-105 combo.

Be careful though, if the price seems too good to be true, it usually is. £2195 seems way to low for a new camera + lens, so be sure to check out reviews of the seller before giving them credit cad info.

Out of interest, where did you find it at this price?
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
I'd absolutely recommend the 5D3 over any of them. I love the 5D3 + 24-105 combo.

Be careful though, if the price seems too good to be true, it usually is. £2195 seems way to low for a new camera + lens, so be sure to check out reviews of the seller before giving them credit cad info.

Out of interest, where did you find it at this price?
That price is too good to be true. I think that you will discover that they are not in the UK & rely on smuggling the camera in to get the price without VAT. Wex are as cheap as anywhere for legitimate UK stock & their price is £2975. HDEW sell grey imports & have the 5D3 & 24-105mm at £2475 so anything less than that is well dodgy.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Its from panamoz

Panamoz Canon EOS 5D Mark III with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens Kit

I know of people who have bought from there before and never had a problem. I was surprised to see it was £300 cheaper than Digital Rev.
Ben Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Panamoz smuggle the cameras in from Hong Kong. They mark the packages something like "used tractor parts - value $15". I see that the regular price paying by card or PayPal is £2311 whereas they only offer you a price of £2195.45 if you pay by bank transfer which in terms of consumer protection is equivalent to sending used notes in an envelope.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hmm, good point. I could still use that website I guess just not get the 5% off from BACS? The site does seem to get good reviews.
Ben Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Trustee

Three places to look for what the 'real' price should be.

Wex Photographic (UK Canon Stock)

Amazon.co.uk (Probably UK stock but could be on mainland Europe - still supported by Canon UK) - so repairs under warranty are still free and within the UK.

Digital Rev - Comes from Hong Kong but includes all shipping and taxes on import (they pay them all - included in the price). DR also have local warranty support, so if there is a problem you can get it repaired in the UK for free instead of having to send it back to HK.

I usually buy only from genuine UK dealers that I know have been supplied by Canon. It's worth it for peace of mind, and besides I register everything with Canon CPS who give awesome repair turnarounds. I've bought from Digital Rev a couple of times when needing something in a hurry (arrives in a couple of days from HK) and there was no stock to be found in the UK. Never had a problem with them. I've also bought from B&H when visiting the US, or ordered from them online and paid the import taxes & VAT as they arrived in the country, but it's several years since I did this because the exchange rate no longer favours this route.

Others? Beware. If it comes from outside the EU then the bodies will not be supported by Canon UK. Lenses will be supported but not under warranty. You could easily get stung for import charges and if there is a problem it's your responsibility to ship it back to them (at high cost).
Old September 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm going to buy the 5dmk3 body only for £2,329 from Clifton Cameras. Its a UK company, so won't be a grey import and it'll be a UK warrenty. They have a 12 month interest free option which is ideal for me.

Will buy the 24-105 for just over £500 from Digital Rev.
Ben Davies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques