DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DSLR Users - Resolution/Frame Rates (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519043-dslr-users-resolution-frame-rates.html)

Peter Rush September 19th, 2013 02:37 AM

DSLR Users - Resolution/Frame Rates

Hi DSLR users :)

I'm interested to know how many of you are shooting FULL HD (1920X1080) at 25p vs HD (1280X720) at 50p

I look at some wonderful DSLR videos online with beautifully smooth motion and think 'no way is that 25 fps' some of you must be shooting at 50 but then how can you deliver HD? or are some of you delivering blu-ray 720 as opposed to 1080?

My 5DIII is gathering dust and I may get it off the shelf for some upcoming weddings to see if I can get on with it again!

Pete

Adrian Tan September 19th, 2013 03:31 AM

Re: DSLR Users - Resolution/Frame Rates

Full HD here. Some slow motion during photoshoot because I'm desperate for anything remotely visually interesting during that part of the day.

Are there advantages to 1080? Unless the clients are viewing it on full HD, I'm not sure to be honest. Hopefully the scaled down result is more detailed for DVD or for 720 Vimeo display and maybe the extra pixels lets you cheat more easily if you need to scale up to get rid of camera gear at edge of frame.

I know some people here do shoot the entire thing at 50 or 60fps so that they can slow mo any part of the day and so that their steadicam work can more easily be smoothed.

Another random advantage of 1080p25 -- 50fps, given that you'd then need 1/100 shutter speed to match, is usually too dark for covering receptions for me.

Danny O'Neill September 19th, 2013 04:48 AM

Full 1080 here. Occasional 720 @50fps and then upressed for 1080 output.

Why dont you ask the people who are achieving what you are looking at what they do. If its on vimeo just drop them a line in the comments.

80% of our clients take a blu-ray copy. Last few have asked for BD only.

Noa Put September 19th, 2013 05:31 AM

I shoot 1080p 50p with my dslr's now, eventhough the "rule" say's you need to apply 1/100th of a shutter which I do when light is sufficient I also shoot at 1/50th at the venue without a issue. For blu-ray and HD delivery to the client I do export to a 1080p 25p file however but still have the possibility to have smooth slowmotion.

Dave Partington September 19th, 2013 05:31 AM

Full HD. 1080p/25

Steve Bleasdale September 19th, 2013 06:11 AM

Full HD here at 25p, even if you slow it down in the timeline you can get 50% slow down pretty smooth. If I know im going to do a lot of Slo Mo on the day then I have done in the past gone 50i or 50p, but still use 50 shutter no need to go to double at a 100...

Danny O'Neill September 19th, 2013 03:48 PM

You can slow 1080/25p down A LOT and have it look awesome. Check out the opening shot of this one of ours. 1080p, 25fps, shutter was in the thousands.

Noa Put September 19th, 2013 04:08 PM

No post treatment involved? Based on the deformation around her upper arm and his vest I"d say some twixtor alike plugin has been at work, works "ok" if you don't have to much movement and detail in the back but I rather start with 50p as it contains twice the amount of data. 25p slowed down 50% in post stutters too much for me while 50p slowed down 50% looks silky smooth with just some basic slowing down in post.

Nigel Barker September 20th, 2013 02:27 AM

Whatever the frame rate a fast shutter speed will freeze the motion & make any slow motion better. If there is the normal 1/50 second motion blur the the result will not be as smooth looking as if it were 1/100 or 1/250.