DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Stupid question!! Editing Soreness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519191-stupid-question-editing-soreness.html)

Steve Bleasdale September 28th, 2013 08:36 AM

Stupid question!! Editing Soreness

Stupid question maybe? Ok for seven years not had a problem, now my right hand fore finger is throbbing with all the editing this year. Anyone else suffering? Is there a top mouse wheel out there that will give me comfort? Learning the short cuts in cas6 prem pro but keep forgetting.

Donald McPherson September 28th, 2013 08:49 AM

Re: Stupid question!! Editing Soreness

I have the contour shuttle and am very happy with it.

Steven Davis September 28th, 2013 09:35 AM

I use this on every machine. It took almost all my issues away. Logitech - TrackMan® Wheel customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

I have four of them.

Warren Kawamoto September 28th, 2013 12:38 PM

Ditto with Steve's trackman....I have them on all my computers, including my laptop when editing SDEs. I love it because my hand lays flat at all times, and only my thumb is used to navigate, allowing me to edit tirelessly all day and night.

Nigel Barker September 28th, 2013 02:31 PM

Apple Magic Mouse. All the advantages of a trackpad & then some. Being able to scroll back & forth along the timeline in Premiere Pro just by strokining my finger L/R over the top of the mouse is great.

Steve Bleasdale September 28th, 2013 03:52 PM

Wow thanks guys brilliant!!! Cheers

Josh Bass September 29th, 2013 07:43 PM

My zillion safety-related shoots for my major energy client would tell you to make sure youre sitting in a proper ergonomic position, elevating your wrist in that special way, taking breaks the way youre supposed to, etc.

James Manford September 29th, 2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1814884)
My zillion safety-related shoots for my major energy client would tell you to make sure youre sitting in a proper ergonomic position, elevating your wrist in that special way, taking breaks the way youre supposed to, etc.

Elf' n safety first!

When I was working in an office a few years ago, they would promote healthy seating positions, having short breaks away from the screen etc etc ...

Now that i'm self employed, I do NONE of these things.

The funniest thing was people whinging to Maintenance asking for a more comfortable chair and for a table fan etc.

Chris Harding September 29th, 2013 10:03 PM

I take plenty of breaks during editing so no issue there and yes, the Shuttle Pro also helps. I seldom sit for more than 30 minutes so there are no pain/soreness issues.

However after 10 hours on your feet at a wedding my feet are sore and my right arm as well from lugging around the second camera.

For me soreness related pain all comes directly after the event not during editing

Chris

Josh Bass September 29th, 2013 10:14 PM

I won't lie, I don't do those things either! I have a wrist pad but that's really it. I slump, slouch, lean, whatever. However I'm never really at it 8-10 hours a day.

Jeff Harper September 30th, 2013 07:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Trackman Marble Mouse is my choice, because it can be used on either the right or left hand. I also use a spring type hand excercise device available at most sporting goods stores. I keep it in the car and use it while driving on the freeway. The device eliminated my early carpal tunnel issues years ago, and continues to build strength in my hands and forearms. Can be bought for under $5. They come in pairs, but I use on one hand at a time, and switch off.

Steve Bleasdale September 30th, 2013 08:07 AM

Cheers jeff