Smart Phones & Weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 1st, 2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Smart Phones & Weddings

I steadicam everything but the ceremony, so I can move around/block/run interference for my tripod camera if needed. Again,we are the professionals, so if I see someone come to a ceremony with a dslr etc, I'm going to speak to them. Also what I said before about clauses, announcements, speaking the b&g is important.

I once had someone sit on the front pew with a windup disposable, that i could do nothing about other than reinforce my standard of no photos or video during the wedding. And yes, I had a bride not book me for it. Her loss, but if someone sees your video with a million cell phones etc, in the back of their mind may not blame you, but is destroys your shots and degrades your product.
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Funny, I used to think that it was "bad manners" for a photog/video to "ban" all other cameras, but now that everyone has a "camera" in their pocket, I'm reconsidering...

Perhaps an announcement that "if you aren't being paid to shoot photos or video, please keep your camera off" is in order nowadays.

Still can't fix stupid though, I've had people walk up to the groom or whatever at completely inappropriate times (like as the service is starting!!).

I had one time where as I went around to my remote cams to reframe, a little lid was using the tripod as a jungle gym...his dad says "is the camera on" - I believe the look he got cleared up the confusion... I felt bad for the kid...

It's a tough call, family and friends understandably want to take pictures and such, but sometimes when they interfere with the professionals, it's a real problem. No one would bring a boom box to the reception and compete with the DJ, or bring their own cake or flowers... guess this is one more "we don't get no respect" situation! As long as we don't go all "grumpy priest" in the process I suppose!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
..... As long as we don't go all "grumpy priest" in the process I suppose!
I hear that's the hottest Halloween costume this year!
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM   #19
Major Player

I agree it's a nuisance but as others stated can't fix stupid. I hate when they crowd around & get in my way during the cake cutting, which seems the most common. Fortunately I've had some DJs/MCs mention to give the pros room.

I did like the video, that videographer really captured alot of it, though we all probably could come up with a highlight reel of it as well. I do wonder tho, the people who record it on video, do they really do anything with it? Do they think they're doing the couple a favor by recording it themselves because they're closer, or think they have a great shot even tho it's shaky as heck & has terrible audio?! Or will they post it to youtube and on their FB page so it get 15 likes and 7 views, none of which go past 30 seconds. In their minds do they think "You're videographer sucked. I got a much better shot than they did!".

People taking pictures during the first kiss & introduction of the Mr & Mrs at the end is to be expected anymore. Banning cams seems a bit over the top imho unless its the priests/churches policy. We're just the videographers, not the rulemakers for the day. I wouldn't/don't edit audio tho, especially ambient stuff. Nor whatever anyone says inappropriate during interviews, I tell them whatever they say may make it into the video. That said, if I bride asked I take someones interview out I guess I would since it's fairly simple. Never had it happen, and I don't play decisionmaker on inappropriateness of comments.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:33 AM   #20
Trustee

I have a clause in my contract that basically says I'm not responsible for missing any shot if people get in the way. I'm not going to push and shove guests ... they hired a videographer, not a wrestler.

You always get the enthusiastic family member whipping out the camera to get a better shot than the videographer ...

He comes home, leaves the footage in the camera never transfering it onto a PC. He/she maybe connects it up to the TV from the camera to view the raw footage once with the rest of the family.

And that's the end of it. He/she was obtrusive and ruined lots of shots for the paid camera man.

Anyone going all the way, coming home spending hours / days editing it all, WHICH IF the outcome is good and the rest of the family like it, will more than likely end up becoming a videographer/freelancer and start digging and doing more research on the topic to get paid for it!!

I know because that's how I started !
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:54 AM   #21
Major Player

I worked recently with a registrar who was just a dream!! she asked my name (and remembered it) and outlined exactly how she'd conduct the ceremony, she even suggested that we set up the signed register with some flowers etc. and take photographs of it, (the shock was almost too much!!) she also said she wouldn't allow any other photography, phones tablets til i was finished!
and true to her word she announced to the room that "Rob is the only one allowed to take photographs or film during the ceremony and that there would be ample time for everyone to get shots after"

my partner whos still learning, has been caught by guests squeezing her out a few times i've been suggesting things like stepping on people's toes and the measured use of an elbow here and there, to stamp your authority on your position on a shoot!!

I also have a section in my contract regarding over zealous guests, and i usually discuss the situation of smartphones/tablets etc. and their potential impact on the footage with the couple, some listen some don't, thats life eh?
:-)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:49 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I do think a lot of the problems can be overcome by being polite, but firm and assertive and knowing when to expect problems. Most people getting in the way are caught up in the moment and don't realise they are causing a problem so usually a gentle tap on the shoulder and friendly smile will move them as they realise.

The other thing is to assume people will get in the way and pre-empt it. The post ceremony walk down the aisle is the most common, so I always wait until they are about to move and everyone is stepping into the aisle with their phones, then I move quickly to within a few feet of the couple, muttering sorry to the guests as I gently push past. I then move back as the couple start moving and by then, all the guests are aware of my presence and keep out of the way.

Confetti throwing is another one that can be organised by the professionals to give them filming room. Generally at a wedding, guests like to be politely organised so that they know what's happening, so don't be afraid to raise you voice and inform them that something is about to happen that requires a bit of space, just do it in a friendly and non aggressive way and it will normally earn their respect. It always helps to work with the photographer on this, as you will both have similar requirements.

With cake cutting I normally liaise with the photographer and the MC/DJ to announce that once the official photographer and videographer have taken their shots, the couple will hold the pose for all the guest shots. That invariably works very well.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Major Player

At this point if I can't find a work around I don't sweat it too much and just let the client see in the video their friends and family ruining the shots and paying more attention to their phones and ipads than the once in a lifetime event.

I counted 12 audience devices in this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Smart Phones & Weddings-screen-shot-2013-10-01-11.36.03-am.png  
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Are you counting the priest? Hopefully he's not shooting that angle with the iPad...

But seriously, it's getting a tad out of hand - considering the image quality of MOST of these "devices" (but they're getting better!), most of these "shots" will be a waste, while ruining the "paid for" photo/video...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #25
Trustee

I don’t shoot weddings for a living, I’m a corporate guy. But I have done enough of them. I do weddings for friends and family, and occasionally for a paid gig. So I have been there, done what you do. But not as often so take me with a grain of salt.

I think trying to “ban” everyone but the pro is ridiculous. Especially today. Some of those guests are really into their FB page. You can see them running around sharing their instant uploads before the event is even over. Telling them they can’t do that will take away from their enjoyment of their friends/family members great day. And, many of them, everyone from the young brother with his cell phone up to Uncle Bob, the serious amateur with a Canon 5D, do give the B & G copies to supplement what you do. Amateur candids can help capture the day in a way that you are not going to put in your reel. That does not mean they are less valuable to the B&G. I think it would be pretty arrogant of me to say no one can shoot anything but me because “I’m the Pro”.

For me the answer is communication. The announcement before the ceremony is critical and then again by the DJ at the start of the reception can help too. I know we can’t do much about the clueless that jump into the middle of the isle at exactly the wrong moment but the announcement to stay seated and not get in the pro’s way helps a lot. For any staged shots or mandatory reception events l have no problem being pretty aggressive and taking control. I am nice about it at first, and don’t usually need to be rude. I find the biggest offenders are usually repeat offenders, those few that are really into getting their shot. So, I try to find them as early as possible, not hard to do, they are in your shot! And I look for Uncle Bob before the ceremony starts, he is always there, you can spot him if you try, before he becomes a problem. Anyway, I talk to as many of those people as I can as early as I can. I tell them I will even help them get there shot, but I come first. I try to establish professional dominance early. And then I do help them after I get my shot, even Uncle Bob. I am not intimidated by anyone, if I can’t out shoot him I should not be charging for my work. I do not want him shooting over my shoulder, getting in my way, so I tell him what he can do. I offer him tips or try to be helpful. I find what he really wants to do is pick my brain. He wants to hear that his 5D is worth every penny he paid for it even though he never bought an external microphone for it. And he knows he paid more for it than the ring on his wife’s finger ;)

Steve
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:24 PM   #26
Major Player

It would be nice if we could a least educate iPhoneographers about the benefits of using horizontal format for their videos, at least until we all have 9:16 HD TVs in our lounge rooms as well as our 16:9 one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques