DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Favourite lens for evening reception (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519282-favourite-lens-evening-reception.html)

Peter Rush October 3rd, 2013 05:39 AM

Favourite lens for evening reception

Hi All - what lens do you prefer for low light receptions - especially If you're using non-IS primes what is your preferred method of stabilizing - shoulder rib/monopod/cage etc. I use a Canon 24-105 on my EA50 that gives me (with a speedbooster) f2.8 but I'm finding it not fast enough - I do like the versatility of a zoom but might try a fast prime.

Cheers

Pete

Noa Put October 3rd, 2013 05:47 AM

Re: Favourite lens for evening reception

My samyang 85mm f1.4 and my panasonic g6 with or without etc (2,5 magnification) mode, it gives me a 85mm or a 212mm f1.4 lens with the push of a button. (it's a 2x crop camera so full frame equivalent it's double)

Clive McLaughlin October 3rd, 2013 05:57 AM

Am I the only one who thinks noise is a sacrifice worth making for more in-focus depth?

I use a sigma 50mm 1.4 on my 6D at f3.5 (if possible) with my ISO at 800 I then use a Cosina 19-35mm AF f3.5-4.5 on 550D at ISO 800 on my Flycam. I also have a Sony CX370 handycam directed on the dancefloor too.

All depends on light levels though and if I'm using lights.

If its too dark, I have to abandon all hope of the Flycam, and man the Canon 6D dropping it down to 1.4.

The reception is the one time where the Sony CX370 comes into its own. Its maybe a wee bit muddy, but not bad at all, and auto focus, everything well exposed, the ultimate safety shot. Means I can relax even if other things fall apart!

Victor Nguyen October 3rd, 2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1815381)
My samyang 85mm f1.4 and my panasonic g6 with or without etc (2,5 magnification) mode, it gives me a 85mm or a 212mm f1.4 lens with the push of a button. (it's a 2x crop camera so full frame equivalent it's double)

my favorite for dances is Canon 6d and Samyang 85mm f 1.4. The best bokeh combinations out of all my lenses.

Robert Benda October 3rd, 2013 10:18 AM

We use two 5d mark iis, and a 70D.

For walking around we use either a 50mm for the 'be there' look, or a 14mm f/2.8 on a crop factor for head-to-toe coverage like if there is a dance-off or something else cool happening.

For big moments like the 1st dance we want varied coverage and use some combination of that 14mm on a crop factor or 35mm/full frame for a wide shot, 50mm on the crop factor for medium, and 135mm for medium/tight. We hope for f/4 if we can.

Peter Riding October 3rd, 2013 12:28 PM

I'd rather suffer some noise and mud than have to fight a very narrow depth of field. My Canon 50mm f1.2L works well enough especially as such a fast lens is good for focusing in poor light by virtue of the size of the aperture. But my favourite has to be the Canon 15mm fisheye f2.8 Thats the old version not the new F4. Its depth of field is so vast that you hardly have to think about focusing even at f2.8 It looks great capturing the atmosphere of the dancefloor heaving. Canon calls it a fisheye but its really not a goldfish bowl effect at all; even less so if you use a smaller than fullframe sensor.

I have some Z96 lights on brackets on lightstands ready if I think the venue lighting is going to be stupid low. I have them about 8ft high angled down and they don't get noticed. Best to weave them in with the DJs giant speakers so that they don't get crashed into.

Pete

Art Varga October 3rd, 2013 12:51 PM

When I review all my reception video, what always stands out is the footage taken with my Nikor 35 1.4 used on a 5DMll.

Art Varga October 3rd, 2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1815446)
When I review all my reception video, what always stands out is the footage taken with my Nikor 35 1.4 used on a 5DMll.

sorry- meant to say 50 1.4

Noah Ruderman October 3rd, 2013 03:50 PM

I almost always shoot the reception with the Canon 35 1.4L or 50 1.4 on my 5d3 on a monopod and the 24 1.4L on my 6D on a stabilizer (using the monocam these days.) I like to shoot shallow DOF at 1.4 when I can, especially for the first dance/speeches etc. when there isn't too much moving around.

Chris Harding October 3rd, 2013 08:34 PM

Hi Pete

You must have pretty dark receptions over there. My Tamron 17-50 at F2.8 is always more than adequate but if I'm going close in I use my Tokina 11-16 also at F2.8 ... I dunno how you guys manage stuff like first dances and dancing with any lens over 35mm!! I tried a Sony 50mm F1.8 on my EA-50 and I struggled to keep decent focus due to the DOF so I don't go faster than F2.8 now! You also have to be so far away unless you want head shots only!! I suppose we all work different ways but for a first dance on average I would mostly be around the 30mm mark on zooms and often back off to 17mm to get a wider shot. With an 85mm prime you must be quite a long way from the couple !!

Chris

Adrian Tan October 4th, 2013 01:09 AM

For receptions, we tend to use

100-400 f/3.5-5.6 (candid moment machine... assuming it's not too dark)
70-200 f/2.8 (candid moments and speeches)
16-35 f/2.8 (attached to steadicam... table shots, food shots, dancing)
24-70 f/2.8 (if we need a wide angle in addition to the steadicam)

with 5D3s. It's not uncommon for us to crank up to 5000 or 6400. We try hard not to go higher than 6400 though.

Peter Rush October 4th, 2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1815506)
Hi Pete

You must have pretty dark receptions over there. My Tamron 17-50 at F2.8 is always more than adequate but if I'm going close in I use my Tokina 11-16 also at F2.8 ... I dunno how you guys manage stuff like first dances and dancing with any lens over 35mm!! I tried a Sony 50mm F1.8 on my EA-50 and I struggled to keep decent focus due to the DOF so I don't go faster than F2.8 now! You also have to be so far away unless you want head shots only!! I suppose we all work different ways but for a first dance on average I would mostly be around the 30mm mark on zooms and often back off to 17mm to get a wider shot. With an 85mm prime you must be quite a long way from the couple !!

Chris

Chris that Tamron has caught my eye - how sharp is it? I'm guessing without IS you're using a rig/stabilizer then. How does it work with the EA50 - can you set iris from the camera or on the lens? With my Metabones adapter that 2.8 would become 1.8 (I think as the readout on the EA50 stops at 2.0) My only issue would be in crowded rooms where I spend a lot of time with my camera high up filming over people's heads - IS comes in handy then!

Yes lots of receptions are pretty dark - I've filmed lots where there are no house lights - just tealights on the tables and whatever the DJ decides to use!

Damn - just read the Tamron 17-50 is for APS-C size sensors - I could use my Fotodiox dumb adapter which would mean no extra stop - still interested though - Sigma do a 24-70mm f2.8 for full frame - that might be worth a look as well. I've never really considered tamron but they produce a 24-70mm f2.8 for full frame - again this might be woth looking at.

Pete

Robert Benda October 4th, 2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1815506)
Hi Pete

Chris, we use 2 or 3 cameras for speeches and first dance, so we can go wide, medium, and tight. For instance, Saturday, we put the 14mm f/2.8 on the 70D, and put it in a fixed spot so it got the entire dance floor. Then the 50mm on another crop factor (85mm equivalent), since we were so far away, still got mostly head to toe. Finally, a 135mm 2.8 on a 5d mark ii got a nice medium tight shot so I have good shots of their faces to cut to.

Though next time we'll probably try the 70D for the tight shot since it has continual auto-focus, but we were already at ISO 6400 and it was just too dark to put the 135mm f/2.8 on a crop factor camera.
________
RNB Weddings Videography

Steve Bleasdale October 4th, 2013 09:19 AM

Canon 50mm 1.4 set to 1.8 on monopod on the move various angles, sigma 30mm 1.4 tripod static on bride & groom. Hfg10 glidecam wide open wide angle 10db gain..

Chris Harding October 4th, 2013 07:46 PM

Thanks Pete

Yeah the lens is APSC so your adapter would make it full frame (or needs a full frame) I'm just using the Novoflex adapter which has it's own iris ring but usually at receptions I just leave it at F2.8!

It's a very sharp lens considering it's price range and for me well worth grabbing ..I also use it on my second Nikon and it's equally useful as a still lens!

Chris