DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Australian Workshop ~ Exposed Down Under 2014 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519421-australian-workshop-exposed-down-under-2014-a.html)

Rochelle Morris October 10th, 2013 02:45 AM

Australian Workshop ~ Exposed Down Under 2014

An Exclusive Event with Masters of their Profession

Exposed Down Under Presents in Sydney, Australia 2014

At your doorstep!
An internationally recognised workshop!
Take advantage of investing in your professional development!

DON'T MISS OUT!!!

Our latest newsletter detailing Speaker Presentations

Exposed Down Under // Learn :: Share :: Grow :: Network :: Experience ~ A Workshop for the Imaging Community

Adrian Tan October 10th, 2013 01:26 PM

Re: Australian Workshop ~ Exposed Down Under 2014

Incidentally, the word "cinematographer" is highlighted in the advertising -- "A Workshop for Wedding Event Photographers & Cinematographers" -- and Rob Adams is lecturing on "Finding Story Where There is No Story - A Cinematographers Guide to Making Average Weddings Great". "So how do we as Cinematographers, give our clients what they expect from our awesome work when the wedding doesn't give us gold material to work with?"

I suspect "cinematographer" in this sort of sense is really a sort of admittedly pretty awkward and presumptuous back formation from "cinematic". I mean, people's hackles are probably less raised by videographers presuming to call their work "wedding films" or "filmic videos" or "cinematic videos". But what word do you use to describe a maker of "cinematic videos"? Would "filmmaker" do it justice, for instance, or does that bring its own problems?

Rochelle Morris October 10th, 2013 04:22 PM

Hi Adrian,

It's an interesting discussing what a person calls themselves & their work. In Australia, wedding clients still use the term 'videographer' (am sure this would be worldwide) yet sense the cinematic feel & difference to that of past wedding videos. I had read some of the comments in the discussion of the term 'cinematographer' and my thoughts are that a term to describe oneself is an individual decision - we produce wedding films, I call myself a wedding producer, yet would call my partner a cinematographer...

Our company produce corporate and wedding films, and to a client it could mean something or jack squat - lol. Ultimately in selling and differentiating oneself to competitors, I've always felt that the work speaks for itself rather than the words to label it...people latch onto a buzz word and everyone then uses it

Hope you can come to EDU next year!

John Knight October 12th, 2013 04:19 PM

I produce wedding videos with a cinematic price tag.