DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Yes, thats much better! Much more... romantic... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519687-yes-thats-much-better-much-more-romantic.html)

Clive McLaughlin October 28th, 2013 03:54 PM

Yes, thats much better! Much more... romantic...

Don't you just hate it when...

Password - dark

and for the record I had discussed the lights with the management - all was agreed - I didnt therefore set my lights up. This was done by another member of staff either using his/her initiative, or at the behest of a guest.

David Barnett October 28th, 2013 04:49 PM

Re: Yes, thats much better! Much more... romantic...

Ouch! On the other hand maybe the "guest" was a parent of the bride, in which case, well that's a tough one. Ashame, how did it play out, wish it kept going a little while, you didn't stop recording did you?! Oh well, imho videographers just capture the night, it isn't a video production or stageplay. I would think the couple would laugh it off & say "Oh yeah, remember when they turned the lights out on the videographer?!" when they watch it weeks later.

Out of curiosity, do you move in that close mid song or something. Wondering how it plays out with the photographer being that close in.

Chris Hewitt October 28th, 2013 04:53 PM

This happens a lot, usually the DJ breaking his promise....what can you do?
Great when they give you a white spot though.
I always check with the DJ regarding lighting and usually they're good for their word but once in a while they do this.

Chris Harding October 28th, 2013 05:03 PM

...and more often than not they don't even do a gentle fade! One moment we have lots of light, the next moment total blackout!

Hmmm maybe the couple turn the lights off because their dancing is so awful they don't want people to see??

I all cases I still have my trusty light on the cold shoe of the camera so if that happens I can at least fight back with 6 ultra-bright Power LED's!!

Chris

Clive McLaughlin October 28th, 2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1818440)
Ouch! On the other hand maybe the "guest" was a parent of the bride, in which case, well that's a tough one. Ashame, how did it play out, wish it kept going a little while, you didn't stop recording did you?! Oh well, imho videographers just capture the night, it isn't a video production or stageplay. I would think the couple would laugh it off & say "Oh yeah, remember when they turned the lights out on the videographer?!" when they watch it weeks later.

Out of curiosity, do you move in that close mid song or something. Wondering how it plays out with the photographer being that close in.

David, I'm only in this close for a little while - its nice for the highlights trailer, but I'm usually wide enough to see their full head to toe. Dont want to annoy the togs any more than necessary!

Luckily I shoot with a few static cams as well so i just pulled back from the dancefloor, knocked down to 1.4, and up to 6400 and carried on with a fair bit of noise. What else could I do?

Yea, its one thing for a couple to notice the lights went out, but most regular joe's will not understand how professional expensive cameras can't 'auto' adjust even in pitch black...

Noa Put October 28th, 2013 05:35 PM

Happens to me more then I"d like to, just a few weeks back, the first entrance of the couple, all lights where on, I had the camera at 1600 iso and when the couple got announced and walked in (I was following on the steadicam with a 12mm f2.8 lens) they killed all lights leaving me with nothing but candle lit tables. I had to stop following them as my screen went black, quickly changed to 6400 iso and continued shooting, needed to apply some neatvideo love but missed the first part of their entrance.

I am looking into a small but powerfull light solution for my steadicam, I hate blinding the guests and will only use it as a last resort but often, there is no other choice.

Don Bloom October 28th, 2013 06:17 PM

Guys...this is the lighting that was chosen by the couple OR someone close to them or the DJ. In any case there isn't anything you can do about it except roll with it. IMO there it is, you work with what there is. It looked pretty real to me and I'm sure the couple will love it. They got a representation of the lighting as it was on the day of their wedding.

Chris Hewitt October 28th, 2013 07:39 PM

I agree with Don on this...we film what happens. I wonder if we get too caught up with the small stuff.
I filmed a ceremony last year where the fire alarm went off and no one had the key....forty minutes it went on for. The couple insisted it made the edit because "that's what happened" (the bride's words).
Clive, you could have smothered that shot in Neat and the couple might have been upset because you changed the story.
If it happens, go with it and who could blame you for something outside your control.

Paul Mailath October 29th, 2013 05:32 AM

I set up lights on stands and mention it to the couple - I've only ever had 2 that wanted lights down - I find it's the venue staff or DJ or guests.

I was shooting at a wedding recently (I was only filming the band) they had their own videographer who asked that the lights be left up - a couple of drunken guests kept turning them down and when the venue staff stayed by the lights the drunks found the videographer and stood in front of him and gave him the finger - what a night - glad it wasn't me.

Nigel Barker October 29th, 2013 11:13 AM

The wedding that I did last week the DJ came over to the photographer & I to ask how we wanted the lights for the first dance. I was initially taken aback as I have never had that before but was very appreciative in thanking him for his consideration.

Katie Fasel October 29th, 2013 01:04 PM

A few weeks ago, we shot a wedding where twice the lights were brought down right in the MIDDLE of an event. I don't understand why the "reception lady" couldn't wait 30 more seconds. One was right in the middle of the dinner blessing. The other was during the bouquet toss.

We always touch base with the reception coordinators and ask them to keep the lights up through the entrances and toasts...we use our lights for everything else. Even though we had our lights on for the bouquet toss, it is still going to look very abrupt right in the middle of the bouquet toss. Since that wedding, when we touch base with them, we specifically ask not to touch them mid-event.