Who's using ONLY digital recorders for audio? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Who's using ONLY digital recorders for audio?

I don't see the point in monitoring audio.. (pauses for effect) in a ceremony you can't do anything about it anyway. I only use digital recorders - 1 on the groom, 1 line out from the P/A & 1 ambient near the action (plus 2 shotguns on camera). I have 2 wireless systems but would never use them for live event.

the only problem I have is different recorders going out of sync on long recordings
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:23 AM   #17
Trustee

[quote=Paul Mailath;1818745]I don't see the point in monitoring audio.. (pauses for effect) in a ceremony you can't do anything about it anyway.
[\quote]

There are lots of times I'll adjust the volume coming from the groom's mic if he's speaking at wildly different volumes (louder or softer) than we expected and test for. Overloading is never a good idea, but likewise too soft and the S/N screws you up totally.

Same for speeches.

Quote:
the only problem I have is different recorders going out of sync on long recordings
That's another problem….

It's also why I use both to some extent. I never rely on a single source of audio if I can possibly avoid it.

5 wireless kits and 4 digital recorders later…. there are still times I wished I had more.
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:11 AM   #18
Trustee

This is an idea suggestion for wedding videographers:
Since wedding videographers are really good at putting together such touching eye-watering videos with that personal touch, what about making one about "Things that go wrong" that the prospective bride and groom can watch prior to their wedding? Maybe even just a trailer of sorts.

I'm constantly reading about all the PROBLEMS that happen and 99% of them seem preventable. Cel phone noises, speakers not close enough to the mic, problems with using DJ outputs, photographers, cell phone picture taking, etc. and etc.

Come up with a list of problem areas, sort them by some method (starting with worst or maybe by type, f.e., interferences). Make a short video of each problem are a and string them together to make a regular video. Show this to those who will be putting on the wedding and let them control what happens. This way they will know full well what to expect when things go bad and it will be their choice about how to handle it beforehand.

A paper checklist tied to the examples in the video would also help and this could be used on The Day by someone who is in charge of the event. A checklist is good because people tend to forget something that is foreign to them.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques