Advice for large editing monitor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Advice for large editing monitor.

I'm a PC guy. I'm not interested in a thread full of people telling me to go Mac.

I use a mac at work however, and one thing i envy is the large screen.

Can anyone advice me where to look for equivalent quality/size monitors? But obviously, like most people, i don't want to break the bank.

My current monitor is 22”. Are there any bargain options out there above that size. I’m hoping for less than £200 ($250).

Also, is there a likelihood that my graphics card might limit my ability to make use of a larger screen in terms of resolution?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advice for large editing monitor.

Clive,
are you looking for screen resolutions above 1920x1200, or just that sort of definition on a panel larger than 22-24 inches?
A good range of monitors at reasonable prices is available from Overclockers UK - Computer components, hardware & gaming PC and the associated monitor forum has a lot of useful information.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

I guess I am maybe wanting a larger resolution - I'd like to see more of my timeline tracks for instance in my editing suite.

But is that potentially limited by my graphics rather than the monitor?

I'm looking at 27" options.

Argos have what seems to be a good deal here...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...referrer=COJUN
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Good review here AOC Q2963PM Monitor Review: 2560x1080 Is A New Way To Play - AOC Q2963PM Offers A New Way To Work
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the older version of this one and I quite like it.

PA279Q - Monitors & Projectors - ASUS
Old November 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

the Dell Ultrasharp monitors are still the best bang for the buck, if you want an adjustable monitor, higher resolution.

The cheaper monitors generally give you what you pay for. I've tried others, you get what you pay for. the Dell Ultrasharp use a higher quality panel and can be purchased on Amazon for reduced prices.

My 30" is 2560 x 1800 and the screen is fully adjustible. I've tried the HPs and Samsungs and was not at all impressed.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Major Player

I've had an LG Flatron W3000H for a few years now, it's a 30" S-IPS panel DVI-D (Dual Link) with a resolution 2560x1600 WQXGA. Its Its great to work with I also have a Dell 22" as a secondary TN monitor, so lots of space. It has tilt, swivel and height adjustment too.
:-)

this site Monitor Specifications gives a good idea about all the different types of panels.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Trustee

I have a couple of Hazro 27" 2550x1440 that look identical to my iMac 27" monitor (colour, sharpness etc). They even have the same glass front, although I think those are now out of production and only the ones without glass are available.

I've run them on both Mac and Windows PCs, no problem.
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Major Player

You seem set on a larger monitor so I'm a bit hesitant to suggest it, but have you thought about getting another one or two 22" monitors instead?
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Since you specifically mention wanting to see more of your timeline how about an extra wide monitor like this 29" Dell UltraSharp U2913WM Ultra-wide Monitor Black:

29" NEW Dell UltraSharp U2913WM Ultra-wide Monitor Black 3 Yrs WTY

The vendor is fine, I've bought several monitors from them over the years.

The Dell Ultrasharps are fine now for colour critical work. I used to buy much more expensive monitors but there's no point doing that any more.

My personal preference is to work with two monitors particularly as I nearly always am editing multicam.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I like the LG's as well .. nice bang for buck and they work pretty well.
I still stay quite small compared to some of you guys but I use an LG 23" for my NLE and then use my old monitor LG 19" for the video preview which takes the preview off the 23" so I have more edit space.

Something I did find a long time ago is most monitor have different profiles so I use the 23" in "normal" mode and then the 19" in "Movie" mode so my previews have a nice bright optimised picture.

I'm using Sony Vegas which allows you to drag any window on the software to a new monitor and it will remember the configuration when you start up the next time.

I have seen others who also use a triple screen system so you can have a middle screen with just the timeline on it, a left hand screen with all your source media and then a right hand screen for preview which gives you a huge amount of acreage but without huge monitors.

Just remember that sitting at a desk in front of a massive monitor is a killer on the eyes as technically you are too close for the size so that's another reason why I would rather have more screen in the dual screen format.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #12
Major Player

I think theres been a little confusion. What I want is to see more tracks, not a longer length of the tracks.

Thanks for all the options though! But can someone answer me - is screen resolution potentially limited my my graphics card? Is it therefore a potential waste of my money going for high resolution options?

Also, can anyone comment on this?
By far the cheapest price on the net with £110 off. Any good? £200 really is my limit.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...referrer=COJUN
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
I think theres been a little confusion. What I want is to see more tracks, not a longer length of the tracks.
I'm with you on this one. I have a couple of 27" 2550x1440 and an Apple 30" at 2550x1600. It's amazing how much I miss that extra vertical space on the 27"monitors when looking at lots of tracks!

Most recent graphics cards will support higher resolution monitors but of course it's worth checking what you have before you buy ;) 2550x1400 requires dual DVI (or display port) for instance.

Looks like your link to argos is dead.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Clive

Dunno about your NLE but with Vegas if I shift the window with all my source media to another monitor (say on my left) then the timeline (usually in the bottom third of the screen now has space to show double the number of tracks and the viewing length remains the same so it's way easier to see the project that may have say 6 or 7 video tracks and 3 audio tracks ..they remain the same size but because space has now been provided above the time line you can easily view all the tracks.

It that what you are looking for?? With a bigger monitor you would still only view the same tracks as on a smaller one unless you shrunk them .... then you obviously can still have them the same physical size due to the bigger screen.

I still like making space with my NLE and increasing my monitor numbers ... while you are busy on the timeline you seldom need to be looking at your source media collection as it's already there!!!

I guess each to the method they prefer??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Two monitors would certainly work just as well. Do you need a dual graphics card though, with like two outputs or something?

i’ll have to look into my graphics card later and check what it supports.

Here is the argos link btw…

Shop Online with Argos.co.uk - your Online Catalogue for Home Shopping
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques