DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   First Wedding Highlight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/51981-first-wedding-highlight.html)

Mike Flynn September 29th, 2005 08:55 PM

First Wedding Highlight

Hello all, I would like to make my prescence known on the forums by posting my very first attempt at a wedding highlights montage.

Let it be known that there definitely ARE things wrong with this video which I can certainly recognize:

-Camera work varies from shakey to very shakey throughout the video. It was all shot handheld with my XL-1, and a few shots coming from a borrowed GL2. Next time around I will most likely provide myself with a monopod or something to reduce shaking. There are a few shots which I would have liked to not use, but you know. Only the ceremony itself was shot on a tripod.

-The borrowed GL2 looks horrible, I realize. I had absolutely no time to play with the camera or familiarize myself with the manual controls, therefore the footage does not match up as well as I would have hoped. Also, a rather inexperienced friend was in charge of the GL2 and I would not have expected him to be able to use manual controls either.

-The edit and music selection seem to be rather...non-traditional(?) compared to some of the other work I have seen here. Don't know if that is good or bad, but it was a rather young and hip B&G, and I figured this style may appeal to them. I suppose I will be yelled at for not getting the rights to the music, but at this point I can say this is strictly for personal use, so please save it. I would like more criticism to be directed at shot selection, variety, etc. If I did have rights to the music, would this be worth money?

Ok enough excuses, here is the link:

http://www.definethemoment.net/video...lhighlight.mov

BTW...first post ever :)

Matt Trubac October 1st, 2005 07:06 AM

Hello and welcome to the boards.

You havn't had any response on this, and I would have to assume it is because you, in a round about way, repeatedly told people not to comment on a number of things.

Anyway, I thought the clip was very well done. The difference between the two cameras was not glaring. I watch videos before reading the original posts, I just feel I'm able to view the video through my own eyes better this way. The only thing that did stand out to me was a series of shots of the couple on the golf course had a bit of a blue tint. It didn't ruin the video, and I'd be suprised if the average bride and groom would think twice, if even once, about it. To me the difference between shots was not a big deal. You could make them even closer with some Color Correction.

I liked the shot in the beginning of the golf carts going along the curved path. Curved lines suggest beauty and peacefulness, and I thought this shot was well placed at the beginning. There was camera shake, but it was a good shot, and you can improve on similar shots next time by locking down your cam.

A couple of your shots had a lot of empty space above the subjects heads. Watch your headroom. That is unless you are composing to try to show a sky line, building etc.

I liked the faster music. The edit was tight and the shots were well selected. Your clients should be very happy!

Good Luck!

Mike Flynn October 1st, 2005 11:12 AM

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Sorry everyone if I made it seem like I don't want replies. I was just stating the things that I already knew were wrong. Please feel free to rip it apart!

David Stoneburner October 1st, 2005 11:29 AM

I thought it also was a nice job. I can't really add anything because the two cameras cut together better than you think. The most important thing is that the couple likes it and I can't see why they wouldn't.

Mike Flynn October 1st, 2005 11:49 AM

Yeah, actually where Matt mentioned some of the golf shots have a blue tint, those are GL2 shots. There are a few more but color correction helped out a bit. Thanks for the compliments :)