DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Which color grading app do you use with Premiere Pro CC ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519831-color-grading-app-do-you-use-premiere-pro-cc.html)

Soumendra Jena November 6th, 2013 06:21 PM

Which color grading app do you use with Premiere Pro CC ?

Hi, earlier we used to use Red Giant Looks with Premiere Pro , but Looks did not have any good presets for weddings.
What app of you guys use ?
Which app can offer the best number of wedding presets ?

Dave Partington November 7th, 2013 10:50 AM

Re: Which color grading app do you use with Premiere Pro CC ?

Presets? What are those < grin > We've never used presets - preferring to get the shots coloured how we want and not how the presets go.

We've tried using Premiere pro's built in crap (sorry, 3 way) and it's err. crap.

We ended up using Colorista II but it takes forever to render.

If you're on CC I don't see why you wouldn't now have a full round trip colour workflow with SpeedGrade. Take the time to learn it - it should do everything you want to do and a whole lot more. Oh, and you'll already own it.

Bruce Watson November 7th, 2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1819741)
Oh, and you'll already own it.

Nope -- he'll just be renting it.

Dave Partington November 7th, 2013 11:01 AM

Ha ha! So true, which i why I'm still on CS6 and not on CC. I don't rent my cameras or computers. I ain't renting from Adobe. FCPX is now my go to app for editing.

Nigel Barker November 7th, 2013 12:08 PM

If you want pre-sets & have Premiere Pro CC then take a look at Lumetri Looks which are included right there in the PP interface under Effects (. There are some nice canned looks. I was editing a sequence today where the sun had been going in & out of the clouds. It looked lovely while the sun was out but a bit cold & grim when the sun went in. I just quickly dropped Warm Midtones onto all the cold looking clips to match them up.

Peter Rush November 7th, 2013 12:38 PM

How slow is it Dave? 40 weddings last year I can't afford longer render times than i already get - and my machine's a rocket!

I'm so far using Premiere's 3 way colour corrector - I only do minimal grading BTW but it requires no rendering (CS5.5)

Pete

Dave Partington November 7th, 2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1819765)
How slow is it Dave? 40 weddings last year I can't afford longer render times than i already get - and my machine's a rocket!

I'm so far using Premiere's 3 way colour corrector - I only do minimal grading BTW but it requires no rendering (CS5.5)

Pete

Well you can forget real time rendering for a start! Take a full ceremony for instance, I've had colorista II slow the export down from 40 mins with just PP to almost 5 hours with colorista II applied.

The same timeline exports from FCPX with lots (and I mean lots) of colour and vignettes etc in about 15-20 mins.

Oh, and that's with an 8 core xeon plugging away. An i7 was no faster. Cuda card makes no difference either since non of their stuff is GPU accelerated.

Steve Bleasdale November 7th, 2013 02:23 PM

Forget grading apps just get the focus, the story, the colours right and oh film the lot or else...Just use a little saturation, get the blacks whites right and white balance, then use a little contrast and brights done...

Soumendra Jena November 29th, 2013 08:59 PM

Lumetri looks very limited.

Looks in comparison has lots of effects to choose from and adjust the settings. Its awesome.

Dave Partington November 30th, 2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumendra Jena (Post 1822669)
Lumetri looks very limited.

Looks in comparison has lots of effects to choose from and adjust the settings. Its awesome.

If all you want is pre-defined looks because you don't want / can't be bothered to learn a full colouring app then perhaps you're right.

OTOH, thoroughly learning a grading app means you can make as many looks at you want, and they're all exactly as you want instead of just almost maybe nearly right.

Personally, I never use predefined looks.