delivery option for ipad at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Inner Circle

delivery option for ipad

How do I deliver a wedding mp4 to a client who wants to view it on their ipad? Ipads do not have USB slots, correct? Do I give them an SD card? I am clueless with Macs, any help apppreciated.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: delivery option for ipad

maybe you can use dropbox and share the link with so they are able to download it. that is what i would do. another option is to post it privately on vimeo and allow them to download the file.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Good ideas, Chris. I am hoping however to find a way to physically hand them the product. My full wedding videos are typically 3-4GB plus a highlight clip. So while Vimeo is a nice option, it's not ideal in this case. Of course is there was no other way, your suggestions might be best.
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Jeff, could you just give them an mp4 on a USB stick? Is that what you mean?

They won't be able to plug the USB into the iPad, but they'll be able to use iTunes to add it to their iPad's video library.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Adrian, sorry, I don't understand. How can customer get it onto the device if they do not have a USB slot? I routinely give USB sticks, so that's not an issue.
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Trustee

Jeff,
Most ipad customers have other computers besides just the ipad. If so, they'll be able to download the contents of the usb stick from their computer to their itunes account, and sync it to their ipad. That is why and ipad doesn't need a usb port, it downloads everything from the cloud.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Ohhhh, I get it. Thanks for clearing that up, Warren! Thanks Adrian, I appreciate your advice.
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Major Player

I hope one day Encore will be able to encode for iPad compatible virtual DVDs.
Or maybe it does now? my version only
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

IPad users can also get a USB adapter from Apple (as normal it's a crazy price!) but that's not your problem. For iPad people I simply deliver the USB to them and then it's up to them to get in onto their iPad ... you have supplied the product on a USB stick and that's where it ends. They must attend to the upload/download themselves.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Trustee

Share vimeo link or you tube then uncheck under the video for anyone to download file then ring client she downloads to computer raw file then as soon as she has downloaded then check the box so that no one else can download raw file.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Share vimeo link or you tube then uncheck under the video for anyone to download file then ring client she downloads to computer raw file then as soon as she has downloaded then check the box so that no one else can download raw file.
That's a bit of a convoluted workflow. Why not use Dropbox or similar cloud service?

I can thoroughly recommend Copy.com who give 15GB free (in comparison to Dropbox 2GB) & if you sign up with this referral link you will get an extra 5GB for 20GB in total (plus I also get another 5GB free when you use my link). https://copy.com?r=7Cadj6
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #12
Trustee

Yes Nigel but the client then has the raw file and then can upload it to her pad to show friends rather than trust internet connections for dropbox. If there is no internet how can she show her video? So that's what I do then the client can have the video anytime she wants on her pad.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Yes Nigel but the client then has the raw file and then can upload it to her pad to show friends rather than trust internet connections for dropbox. If there is no internet how can she show her video? So that's what I do then the client can have the video anytime she wants on her pad.
I put a copy of the video file into a client sub-folder in my copy.com folder then that synchs with the cloud & I share the subfolder with the client. They don't play the video from the cloud (although they can) they download it to their computer or iPad or wherever. It's the same for Dropbox. It's far simpler than using Vimeo & switching download on/off.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #14
Trustee

Then that is a good idea Nigel nice one, I will look into that cheers man...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques