GoPro hero 3+ good B-cam for xf300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 17th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #1
New Boot

GoPro hero 3+ good B-cam for xf300?

Hey everyone, I own a canon xf300 and have shot one wedding with only it. It turned out OK, and could have turned out much much better if I had a second angle and not have to be running around so much. I was considering a GoPro hero3+ as a possible option for a second cam, but apparently the difference in image quality/sharpness would be fairly extreme? Is there any way to fix this in post? What would be another potential option for a B-Cam alongside the xf300

I'm also wondering if such a large camera like the xf300 isn't my best bang for the buck in terms of weddings (and low light performance, etc).

Any thoughts/help/direction are greatly appreciated.
Aaron J. McFerran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GoPro hero 3+ good B-cam for xf300?

Hi Aaron

Your problem isn't the quality of the Hero but the angle ..it's really only going to be a wide angle shot of the wedding so for B-Cam work it's not really suitable ...you are going to need stuff like guest cutaways, ring closeups and such on your B-Roll so that needs to be a camera you can control. I use a Hero as my C-Cam up on a light stand so no-one can block the shot and set it at medium angle so the whole ceremony is covered. Maybe look at one of the lower Canons as a handheld B-Cam?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A GoPro is brilliant if you want to film action sports & it's designed to be fixed to a surfboard/helmet/snowboard but to be honest it's not the ideal B/C camera for weddings. You are probably better off with a small consumer camcorder that will have better image quality & low light performance at less cost.

I am seriously tempted by a Sony CX280 which here in the UK can be found for under £200 (a GoPro Hero 3+ is about £300). Full HD 50p 27x optical zoom (30mm-950mm FF equivalent) back-illuminated Exmor sensor, OIS. The Sony CX220E looks to be the same camera without image stabilisation for under £150.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I can't fault the Sony CX cameras for locked off work - I use a CX730 and CX700 - they match my NEX EA50 and NEX VG-20 footage nicely. I only use my GoPro in well lit venues and like the extra dimension it adds - not great low light capability and lack of some control discounts it from being a dedicated B Camera for me.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The CX220 is probably quite adequate as a locked off camera as you don't need the stabilisation if it's going to be on a tripod/stand anyway.

Just for interest the CX220 here is actually a fraction cheaper than a GoPro White 3 which is amazing!!!

However I still always take my little hero 2 to weddings and run it ...nothing beats the super wide shot that you get of the ceremony and ours are normally outdoors or well lit too. It would be neat to have something like the Sony that would be wide enough to match the GoPro ... 30mm is OK but you still be pretty much a normal FOV and not the ultra wide one ... I need something that would match the Hero's medium FOV setting.

On the B-Cam story I still prefer matched cameras so hence my preference for two Sony EA-50's at all shoots .... extra locked off cams are simply a bonus.

However I don't think the OP is going to buy another XF300 any time soon at Canon prices!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Trustee

I wouldn't even consider the GoPro as a B cam to an XF300 (maybe a D or E). Maybe an XF100 or an XA25 as a B-cam…. though the budget would need to be much higher.

Mixing brands also causes some colour profile differences too. I've found matching the 5D3 to XF range much easier than I did matching the 5D3 to Panasonic.

Not sure how Sony's colour space compares since it's a while since I've used them, perhaps others can comment. Panasonic's colour profiles used to drive me nuts!
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Major Player

XF100 makes a great stationary/balcony wedding camera for the XF300 and the image matches nicely when used as such.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I use a Hero gopro 3 black on a light stand high in the back. Even the narrow angle setting is really wide. It does not match my G30 video but it does work and sometimes you just need the footage from the rear to cover while you move or someone gets in the way..
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The CX220 is probably quite adequate as a locked off camera as you don't need the stabilisation if it's going to be on a tripod/stand anyway.

Just for interest the CX220 here is actually a fraction cheaper than a GoPro 3 which is amazing!!!
Here in the UK it's relatively even cheaper at £149 for the CX220 & £199 for a GoPro Hero 3 White.

I do see the attraction of the GoPro as it's so tiny & there are no controls besides an on/off switch so it is very simple to use. I have used my GoPro 2 for 'interesting' shots e.g. up in the frame of the chuppah at a Jewish wedding but have stopped using it as a wide safety shot as the image in low light is poor & it doesn't match in so well with my other cameras. I am definitely going to get a CX220 or similar to use instead. I hadn't realised that the entry level consumer camcorders had plummeted in price so much. I may even get two.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Trustee

What a great idea. £149 for a point & shoot, who needs a GoPro? And at least it has a screen that I can use for framing etc., unlike the guesswork or dodgy WiFi of GoPros. Light enough to mount on a bracket anywhere too!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I have used my GoPro 2 for 'interesting' shots e.g. up in the frame of the chuppah at a Jewish wedding but have stopped using it as a wide safety shot as the image in low light is poor & it doesn't match in so well with my other cameras.
Same here - only comes out of the bag now for 'unusual shots' such as on the top of a monopod for a whole group shot or recently attached to the side of a train engine of a mini railway all the guests went on.

Sony CX cams for locked off work fine for me
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Sorry if this is a little off topic. Can anyone tell me if the Sony CX110 (no hard drive - just memory stick) IMAGE QUALITY (ie sensor size) is any different from the CX220 or CX700 etc (Purely for single cam, locked off shot)

From the specs, they all appear to be Carl Zeiss and Exmor 'R'
John Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques