DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Field Monitor with peaking (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/520171-field-monitor-peaking.html)

Peter Rush November 20th, 2013 06:09 AM

Field Monitor with peaking

Hi All - I've started to use my 5DIII for evening receptions as my EA50 doesn't really cut it in low light - despite using Canon glass at f2.8 I still need an on-camera light, which is something I hate!!! One problem I'm having however is focus, my Sony cams have great focus peaking but with the 5D I'm constantly checking my focus. I use a lilliput 5" field monitor that helps but what i really need is one with good peaking - can anyone recommend one in around the £300 price bracket?

I should point out I have a Swivi viewfinder but I shoot from a variety of angles and having my eye against the loupe restricts me.

This from IKAN is looking promising at only $224

Pete

Donald McPherson November 20th, 2013 02:20 PM

Re: Field Monitor with peaking

Have you thought about putting Magic Lantern in the Canon as it has focus peaking that comes through the HDMI.

Peter Rush November 21st, 2013 03:52 AM

ML doesn't work with firmware 1.2.3 unfortunately

Dave Partington November 21st, 2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1821570)
ML doesn't work with firmware 1.2.3 unfortunately

Correct. But unless you need clean HDMI (not really required for a monitor) you can down rev to a lower version that does.

Steve Bleasdale November 21st, 2013 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Peter Rush;1821436]Hi All - I've started to use my 5DIII for evening receptions as my EA50 doesn't really cut it in low light - despite using Canon glass at f2.8 I still need an on-camera light, which is something I hate!!!
Jeez just about to pull the trigger on a 5d iii, Pete??

Peter Rush November 21st, 2013 01:53 PM

I really hate it Steve - I love the quality of the footage but the form factor!!! I'm old school and although I embraced short form cameras such as the Sony Z1/FX1 over traditional shoulder mount I struggle with the 5D. I hate that I have to be a meccano expert just to have a usable mic and monitor lol!

Joking aside I find myself more and more uncomfortable using an on-camera light during evening receptions and this is where i hope the 5D, for me, will shine - coupled with my 24-70mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 I can just about get the footage I need without p*****ng off half the guests. DOF at 1.8 is a little tricky without focus peaking though.

For the rest of the day my EA50 and Canon lenses do the job - it's when the lights go down I struggle!

Steve Bleasdale November 23rd, 2013 02:41 AM

Ha Gotcha Pete, still the 5d looks the best for low light so I am getting one, just worried it was not that good!! Cheers mate all the very best.

Les Wilson November 23rd, 2013 01:59 PM

I had the same problem using the 5DM2, once you start rolling, it's hard to focus using the LCD and Loupes are restrictive.

I used the SmallHD DP4 that optionally has a flip-up loupe and can swivel up or sideways or both when you want a more comfortable angle. It's very light so mounting it on the shoe is tolerable. The SmallHD focus peaking technology is fantastic. Watch some of their videos about it.

I know what you mean about the ergonomics of shooting with a stills camera. I bought the Edelkrone Handstrap to restore the traditional grip missing from stills camera bodies. You can build out a whole system that gives you a cage for all the things missing from a stills camera. It's modeled after the XL1. Not cheap but had I stayed with the 5DMxx line, I would have gone with it I think.