60 Inch TV vs Projector for same day edits, slideshows? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Major Player

60 Inch TV vs Projector for same day edits, slideshows?

So with the cost of 50-60 inch tv's coming down - outside of the obvious issue of transporting the TV, any good reasons to go with a projector instead of just a big TV? Seems a tv really simplifies things * alot*
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 60 Inch TV vs Projector for same day edits, slideshows?

I think the only things that come to mind are that it might not be big enough, and it'll presumably be difficult to hang it on a wall (if you have a large venue with lots of guests).

Other than that, sounds like a good idea. If you ever do bridal expos, I think it'd come in handy there as well. At my last one, I was envious of the guy on the other side of the room, whose videos you could see from all over the room, whereas my little display the brides had to walk right up close to see.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Trustee

We have a large TV and stand we used at wedding fairs, but transporting it was a major PITA. We don't do them anymore.

For SDE I'd probably still use the project for a couple of reasons. The first is they'll have to turn the house lights down for it to work, which automatically means people will look at the screen. If you're using a TV then people could ignore it and carry on chatting to each other (which would be annoying). A projector can also go bigger - subject to the screen size of course.
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Transporting it, hanging it, size, and a good chance of it breaking or getting damaged.

A nice size screen and projector on the other hand is no more difficult to transport, IMO easier because of the weight and size, easy to set up, large enough for a very big crowd to see and difficult to damage unless one gets very unlucky.

If it were me, I'd stick with the projector and screen.
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Trustee

It's all about size. It's pretty easy to put up a 9'x10' screen using a backdrop stand kit and by ordering 3 yards of fabric.

Some DJs are starting to offer a dual TV setup to show slideshows. Usually it's two 50" TVs on totems (the vertical box trussing with a stand), and you can place them apart. That way the smaller size is less of a liability.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a 42" LCD TV that we use on a stand for wedding fairs but that is as large as I would want to cart around. You definitely wouldn't want a plasma of any size & but even a 60" LCD TV would require two people to carry it just because of the sheer size never mind the weight.

A short throw projector of the type used for business presentations is going to be better than a high quality Full HD home cinema projector & the sheer size & novelty of the SDE/slideshow is going to have a big impact so nobody is going to be doing any pixel peeping.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Major Player

I use a 40 inch Sony LCD occasionally. Its light enough to carry on my own easily - unlike my Panny 50 inch plasma which is far too heavy. I transport it wrapped in a blanket and secured upright to the back seat of my car using the seatbelts - easy. I arrange for a suitable table with the venue.

Its far more practical to set up in many venues than a projector as it doesn't need a space for the projector and separate space for the screen. In the UK it seems normal to cram the maximum number of guests possible into the venue and so space is nearly always in very short supply. Oh and its doesn't need the lights dimmed :- )

A projector and screen can work well when visiting clients at home though. It avoids using their own possibly crummy tv and also looks the part whereas walking in with your own tv under your arm may appear a little odd!

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Trustee

Definitely projector for me. With a projector, I can create as big an image as I need, from 20 inches to 20 feet. I can project it for 500 people if I needed to. With a 50" screen, you're limited to showing around 20 people. My projector has vertical and horizontal keystone correction, so I can set up off axis to the screen and still project a perfect image. I also bring along a Bose L1 series 2 for audio, I don't like hooking up with the DJ because some sound great, others have way too much bass, sometimes you get a buzz, etc. I have 2 screens in the van, 8ft and 12ft, and use whatever is appropriate. Everything is packed on carts, and my van has a ramp. It's pretty easy to set up everything by myself if I need to, as long as everything is transportable on wheels. Once the gig is done, I push the carts up the ramp into the van and tie it down as is for the next gig.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Based on the comments above and to add my personal experience, 40" is about the breakpoint where carrying a monitor becomes more problematic than setting up a projector.

If I'm doing something where people are filing by then for sure I use the 40" LCD. For a large crowd needing a larger screen - projector. Hands down easier to deal with.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Anyone have any suggestions for a projector?
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for a projector?
There are plenty of good ones. Look for Lumens at 2500 or above, probably, so that it's bright enough. If you get it bright enough, then sunshine coming in through a window won't be a problem.

You'll have to decide what input you'll be using, HDMI, VGA, or USB, or some combination.

And you'll probably want what is referred to as a 'short-throw' projector, meaning it doesn't have to as far away from the screen. I have two projectors and to fill a 9'x10' screen, one has to be 16 feet away, the other is about 8 feet. In tiny spaces I used to bounce the projector off a mirror, then back to the screen, to get it to fill.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques