Switching from Vegas to Premiere Pro CC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 16th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Switching from Vegas to Premiere Pro CC

Clive, do you use Mac or PC?
I used to use Premiere years ago on a PC then 8 years ago I changed to FCP 6 which I really liked. My old G5 ppc was getting tired so I bought a new top of the range iMac last month. I thought I´d give FCPX a try. I´ve been really impressed with it. It´s really fast, intuitive and a joy to use so far. I have the latest version and if you have a capable Mac then I reckon it´s worth trying out.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #17
Trustee

Since the OP is using Vegas now it suggests he's on a Windows PC since that's where Vegas runs….
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Yea guys, sorry about the delay. I appreciate all the feedback. My Vegas crashes a fair bit, but the autosave tends to mean I rarely lose more than a minute or two of work. Still - far from ideal. I also have three different cameras with their own type of format compression. When I use all three of them in a project, Vegas struggles. I’ve heard Premiere Pro CC is very good with pretty much every compression type going. Am I right?

I also don’t have a suitable stabilising plugin (I’ve tried the usual - they just don’t seem to work for me, and I’ve given up trying to figure out why). I’ve been externally stabilising on Virtual Dub. Premiere Pro CC stabilising looks great. As does the colour grading.

Is theres something different re clips on the timeline. What is a ‘sequence’? Is it not as straight forward as dragging and clipping on the timeline?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Since the OP is using Vegas now it suggests he's on a Windows PC since that's where Vegas runs….
He could look on this as an opportunity to buy a Mac if he intends to run Premiere Pro or even FCP X
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #20
Major Player

ah, i didn´t know vegas was pc only.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
He could look on this as an opportunity to buy a Mac if he intends to run Premiere Pro or even FCP X
I completely agree, but I never try to talk people in to my way of thinking (we're all Mac now) since some people truly love windows and don't see the value in a Mac. No problem, keep going with Windows.

PP CC has lots of good things going for it. As I've said, if they hadn't forced the CC rental model on us and allowed CS6 people to upgrade their perpetual license I would have done so.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques