DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Evening receptions running late (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/520752-evening-receptions-running-late.html)

Peter Rush December 24th, 2013 03:11 AM

Evening receptions running late

Twice this year I've had evening receptions run very late and I'm never sure how to address it. At yesterday's wedding the first dance, which should have been at 8:30 was at 9:45 because the wedding was running late (bride 30 mins late to the church) and the band were late to the venue. (don't get me started about late brides!)

It clearly states in my terms that the first dance should be concluded by 8:30 and I'll allow a 'grace' period of 30 minutes after in case things are running late and to film extra dancing after the first dance - but after 9pm I charge £££ per hour.

The last thing I want to do is hassle the couple on their big day with warnings of an extra charge, neither do I want to bill them without giving them an option of not having their dance filmed (unlikely I know) - and when does late become 'late' - if the first dance takes me until 9:05 do they pay extra? - should I charge 'per extra hour or part thereof'?

I'd like your thoughts on this one cheers

Pete

Roger Gunkel December 24th, 2013 06:03 AM

Re: Evening receptions running late

I film weddings until the first dance and if everybody is having a great time maybe a bit longer. My price is for me to film their wedding day from preps to first dance, which could be 9.00am to 10.00pm or it could be Mid day to 7.00pm. Sometimes you draw the short straw sometimes the long, but personally I wouldn't dream of charging a couple extra because they were already unfortunate enough to have their day soured by the band arriving late. If I was already there for at least 10 hours anyway, I can't see that an extra hour is going to make much difference to me or involve me in extra costs that I need to pass on. I want a happy couple and lots of recommendations for being a good company to deal with.

Looking at it realistically, if the wedding turned out to be a couple of hours shorter than you expected, would you be giving them a reduction? I think that there is a danger in charging extra time in those circumstances as it can provoke anxiety over costs and also lead to disputes, but if it is something that is important to you, then stick to the contract that they have agreed to and charge them for every bit of extra time, otherwise that clause in your contract becomes pointless.

Roger

Chris Hewitt December 24th, 2013 06:10 AM

Hi Peter, the way I approach this is to go with the averages. Most first dances are on time, occasionally you get an early and once in a while, you get a late one. I'm amazed whenever a FD is on time really but my very first wedding, everyone drank too much and the FD eventually took place at 1am.....four hours late.
That is taking the **** in my book and I would definitely charge them at the going rate. ..if they have a problem then I'm gone. Anything up to an hour is a fair grace period.

Chris Harding December 24th, 2013 06:33 AM

Hi Guys

Basically I am screwed if the wedding runs late because I work by event rather than by the hour. However if it was really bad I do have a maximum hours clause in my packages!

I did a wedding "up to the first dance" and they had the dance at 11:00pm!!! However it was an easy wedding and close to home ..you win some and you lose some ..most I win at the first dance happens close to 9pm

I work "by event" to stop brides "calculating" my hourly rate by doing the simple math like $1500 and he's here for 6 hours so he's changing me $250 an hour! They forget about the consult, editing and delivery hours that the bride never sees!!!

Maybe the next wedding will finish early????

Chris

Rob Cantwell December 24th, 2013 08:55 AM

im the same, i contract by event, if that means getting up at 7 am to get to the bridal preps so be it, same goes for the first dance, here it's normally around 22:00 so im reasonably happy to be home before midnight, but if things are later I accept that too.

I'm doing one on the 30th Dec - hope they're on time

Happy Christmas to everyone!!!

;-)

Chris Harding December 24th, 2013 09:52 AM

Hey Rob

I have one on the 28th which is normal as it's a Saturday but I too have one on the 30th which is a Monday.. weird ?? My Monday one has no reception so it's simply a civil ceremony and video shoot in a park and I'm done. Burmese weddings are quite neat ..they get married at 1pm and then start the reception at 4:30pm ..they eat and have a first dance/cake cutting and everyone goes home at 7:30pm!

I gave up the stay until midnight ones about 2 years ago ..it's really nice getting home at 10pm and in bed before midnight rather than arriving home at 1am and seldom in bed before 2:30am!!

Chris

Robert Benda December 24th, 2013 10:05 AM

IT depends entirely on the kind of person you are.

My wife wouldn't tolerate being stuck at a reception for an extra hour or two, and so would want to charge extra. In that case, you talk to them with plenty of time left and be nice: 'I'm just giving you a reminder that I'm done at 9pm, and that's in only an hour. IF you'd like me to stay longer, it's .....;

It really depends on how long it's going to be, though. 30 minutes is nothing. Heck, even 60 minutes wouldn't bother me too much. That seems to be my line though - an hour. After that, it's their poor planning and not my responsibility.

John Knight December 24th, 2013 12:38 PM

I used to get really wound up about events running overtime. I met a photographer who advised me that I should be charging an overtime rate of $250 p/h and then I wouldn't stress.

I did for about 2 years and have only recently stopped. It caused quite a bit of anxiety on the day and had a couple of tense negotiations with bride's Mums, M.C's and wedding planners which I did not enjoy.

I just bumped up my package price by $100 and now market myself as "No Time Limit - Enjoy Your Day Without Stress"

Like Chris said... definately win some, lose some.

Kyle Root December 24th, 2013 01:20 PM

I don't stay past 10 PM and make the abundantly clear up front and in my contract.

I've found that when it starts getting that late, there is a very very small percentage of footage that can be used in the video, unless like blackmail is needed or something. lol

Arthur Gannis December 24th, 2013 09:43 PM

Hey people, it's Christmas eve, don't you ever leave this site at least for a break ??
Merry Christmas to all. !

Chris Harding December 24th, 2013 11:15 PM

Hi Art

For me it's long past Christmas Eve as it's Christmas Day afternoon here!! I've been on here this morning BUT the cameras are lying dormant!! We are going to Dinner with family later this evening (too hot in Oz for a traditional hot lunch!!)

OK, I'm done now..time to relax

Chris