DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   42nd St photo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/520912-42nd-st-photo.html)

Kiflom Bahta January 5th, 2014 02:41 PM

42nd St photo

Hey guys, I am in market to update my gear and 42nd St prices are lower than b&h. I am bit worried cuz they are selling the cam 1000 less. Have you guys bough anything from them?

Scott Brooks January 5th, 2014 03:19 PM

Re: 42nd St photo

I haven't, but have you looked at their reviews and ratings? Does it make sense that they could sell the same product for $1000 less? I would be very skeptical.

Kiflom Bahta January 5th, 2014 05:12 PM

The reviews are good but even the shady stores have good rating.

Jeff Harper January 5th, 2014 05:40 PM

Compare B&H and Adorama prices and you'll see the lowest prices around. There are a few that occasionally sell for less, but not much. There are others that will have sales that are legit, but not $1000 lower.

Generally the crazy sounding low price places will push to sell you a "package" of stuff, not just the camera. You cannot get a camera that cost $3000 at B&H for $2000 by any reputable dealer. If you can it's gray market gear which I doubt you want.

Seth Bloombaum January 5th, 2014 07:33 PM

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...-new-york.html

The Yelp ratings don't look that good.

Robert Benda January 5th, 2014 08:23 PM

At a glance they appear semi-legit. Some folks get their real items, some have issues. Anyone offering that huge of a discount and claiming its new... well, I wouldn't believe them.

Garrett Low January 5th, 2014 08:25 PM

I had one experience with 42nd St. Photo. BAD!

My advise would be to not go near them. Typical bait and switch. Despite being promised that the equipment I was purchasing was US under US warranty, what I received after a delay in shipping, was an open box grey market pieced together camera kit. Then, I had to threaten to take them to court before they would refund my money.

For major equipment buys there are only a couple of placed I purchase from, B&H being one. I also have purchased from Adorama without any problems. I've also purchased from other DVINFO sponsors with success.

Just my experience. YMMV.

Good luck.

Phil Goetz January 5th, 2014 09:30 PM

Have you seen this website that shows some of the places that advertise on the internet?

Brooklyn Camera/Electronic Dealer StoreFronts

What equipment are you looking for? Consider contacting Omega Broadcast.

sales at omegabroadcast dot com

Darren Levine January 5th, 2014 09:41 PM

Thats a pretty cool list!

for any seller, always check resellerratings.com

i wish the food grade system would be applied to camera stores, would love to see them have to list a 'D' rating in their windows

Chris Harding January 5th, 2014 10:40 PM

Bottom line is always if the price seems unrealistically lower than other suppliers and seems to good to be true then it probably isn't!!

Do they actually have a store front?? Can you go inside and view stock? At worst they might take your money during an online transaction and then give you delayed shipping dates and finally vanish off the map!!

That price even sounds low for a grey market unit! Check and see what GlobalMedia Pro are selling the same camera for ? Some of theirs are grey market (but still good) but still nowhere near $1000 less than a retail dealer

Sounds really fishy to me!

Kiflom Bahta January 6th, 2014 01:35 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to stay clear :-)

Kelly Huffaker January 6th, 2014 06:35 PM

I bought a curved camera slider from 47st.photo from their ebay page for 100 dollars cheaper than what amazon charges. Works just fine to me. You think they have multiple stores with similar names?

Shaun Roemich January 6th, 2014 09:44 PM

Kiflom: depending what exactly you are looking for, right in your own backyard is DVEStore and Guy Cochran is AWESOME and a DVInfo sponsor. All my money goes to DVInfo sponsors (or former sponsors) in fact...

DVEStore and B&H being the two in the U.S. that I deal with.