DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Unguarded timelapses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/520923-unguarded-timelapses.html)

Adrian Tan January 6th, 2014 06:03 AM

Unguarded timelapses

A question for anyone who takes outdoor timelapse shots of venues -- are you just leaving the camera there unguarded?

If not, what's protecting it? Is there any sort of alarm or chain on the camera? Are you trusting in foliage to conceal your gear (no lewd reference intended)? Or are you designating someone as the timelapse babysitter for half an hour?

I've got a beach wedding in March where I'm planning on going back the day after to get a sunrise timelapse. I don't see myself risking an unmanned camera on the wedding day itself.

Colin Rowe January 6th, 2014 06:42 AM

Re: Unguarded timelapses

Early alarm needed

Nigel Barker January 6th, 2014 08:05 AM

I have found doing a time-lapse more trouble than it is worth. For the usual sort of usage like clouds whizzing by it's much easier to film for 10 minutes then speed it up in post. Even with a sunrise over 30-60 minutes I would be tempted to do the same. Obviously this won't work for hours & hours of a marquee being erected but even using a little consumer camcorder shooting for an hour or two should cover most requirements.

Mark Williams January 6th, 2014 10:25 AM

I don't have the patience for doing time lapse. Usually buy stock video when I need this type shot.

Robert Benda January 6th, 2014 11:17 AM

I've never done a time lapse so long that I left it alone, including a sunrise. Magic Lantern+HDR+10 minutes=happy shot

I do wish I had set up two different cameras to catch the points of view I ended up using. Instead I spent 40 minutes or so, but was VERY happy with the results.

Christian Nachtrieb January 6th, 2014 10:02 PM

I do it all the time. One time even left two cameras time lapsing a beach night scene with the stars over the bay down at the Wychmere.

Cole Prine January 7th, 2014 10:14 AM

The only times I've done timelapses, the camera stayed in sight the whole time. I think it's probably a good idea to do it the next morning if you have the time. Besides not having to leave your gear alone, it'll also take the extra pressure off of having to set it up and tear it down and being worried about it the whole time.

Robert Benda January 7th, 2014 11:19 AM

The next morning makes sense as long as the weather will be similar.

I have gone back to film church exteriors, when I realized that neither of us had actually gotten the main church shot for our primary establishing.

Byron Jones January 9th, 2014 10:51 PM

Can't afford to leave it. I like the shots, so I normally do it the day or two after.