Selling Your Service VS. Uncle Bob - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 17th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Selling Your Service VS. Uncle Bob

Chris, what GoPro do you use for weddings and do you have any samples of the footage?

I can't decided whether to use my Canon 550D as a static wider shot or get a Go Pro to do that job.

Thanks
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Hi Matt

I never ever rely on the GoPro but if you are going down to DVD the image is plenty good enough..I just use a Hero 2 Where it's really an asset is I put it on a lighting stand so it's 8' up in the air so if the photog blocks me or the MOB decides to step in front of the camera, I have a safety shot. Remember it's all auto so it cannot handle backlit scenarios so sometimes I just have to trash the footage but other times it's absolute magic!!

I figure for less than $400 it's always worth using and I know it will run all on it's own for an hour or more and just do it's thing. For interest I use the Medium FOV not the wide one as that's a bit too drastic and brides seem to love it. Hoist it up, press record and leave it!!

I also works really well in a Church on an upstairs balcony!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #48
Major Player

I figure that if the couple chooses Uncle Bob over me, then one of the following is true:

1. Their tastes are not at all discerning (and so good for them -- they've saved thousands and will be happy)
2. They don't have the money to spend -- and so its irrelevant to me anyway
3. Uncle Bob is actually really good at filming weddings (and so REALLY good for them!)

If they are happy with Uncle Bob's work, then they should by all means go with him and not spend money on me. If they can't afford me, they can't afford me -- and this only impacts me if not enough people can afford me for me to stay in business. (But if my prices are working otherwise, it doesn't impact me.)

In other words, I feel that a really quality videographer is so irrelevant from Uncle Bob that, if a couple goes with Uncle Bob, it has nothing to do with our selling our product better. It's an apples and oranges scenario.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques