Labeling your Media - Final Discs for Couple at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 14th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Labeling your Media - Final Discs for Couple

How does everyone go about labeling your media?

I used to use Lightscribe, but there doesn't seem to be much affordable or any blu ray lightscribe discs, so I was wondering what everyone else uses.

Thanks
Matt
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Labeling your Media - Final Discs for Couple

What I do is:

-- 1. Get them printed by a disk replication company that does a higher quality job that I can.
-- 2. Include the cost of this in the package.

But my guess is that most people are just printing the disks themselves, which, frankly, is smarter -- they'd be able to produce the final product a lot faster and more cheaply.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Matt

Inkjet printable discs is the way I way always gone. You of course need a printer that does CD/DVD media ..our Epson 720 and 730 printers do a good job.

The end product presentation is very important as that is what she will show her friends and you do want them to book you don't you?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #4
Major Player

We print them ourselves on an Epson R800. I cant recommend this printer as it seems to like wasting ink every time you turn it on and takes a random amount of time to startup (one day its on and ready, others it spends an age squirting ink and moving and squirting some more).

We're going to move to have them pre-printed for speed and cost.

We used to use lightscribe but they took an age to print and at the time of switching they didnt do blu-ray disks.

Here is a little look at what our disks look like;
Attached Thumbnails
Labeling your Media - Final Discs for Couple-collatoral.jpg  
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Those discholders look nice Danny, do you print the couples name on it or include photo's? Currently I print my boxes and dvd's on a canon ip4900 and I have a refill set so I don't spend too much on original cartridges.

I have been thinking of designing a label, much like what I see in the photo you linked to (that's a cardboard sleeve, no?) with some fixed text and my company logo and then have a whole bunch dvd's and cardboard sleeves printed by a professional printer. If I let 500 to 1000 pcs printed it's actually very cheap and the printquality is also very good. The only thing I worry about is not having the couples name and the date of their wedding on the dvd or sleeve, I don't see that back either on the example you show Danny, is that the case and if so, don't the couple complain about this? I also think your branding (if that's what it is called) is very good, you have a very recognizable style which is the same for your website and dvd boxes and business card, did you design that by yourself or let a company design it for you?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Matt,
I've been through various dvd printers over the years, but am currently using a Canon Ixus IP7250. It is cheap and cheerful and a bit slow, but does a good job.

I use full face white printable discs, and the printing template can be set up in most DTP software, I currently use Serif Writer although I was previously using MS Publisher. I use a background pic of the bouquet or B&G if the right proportions, overlaid with their names and the wedding date. I keep a permanent basic template into which I just drop the new picture and text.

This December, we printed around 400 school nativity discs and the printer handled them without any problems. It's much more convenient than getting an outside printing company and of course you can personalise them, which you can't if you are using a pre printed disc.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Noa, we use WowWallets for the disks. It's like a fancy disk sleeve.

We were doing the whole custom image on a disk and custom printed case but in truth. It was a 10p DVD case with a printed sleeve and it looked like a 10p DVD case with a printed sleeve. No matter how fancy the artwork on it.

So after we had our branding done by Brought To You By we set about re-designing our delivery. We went for a standard printed disk and case. It means we reinforce our brand but also cut down production time by another half a day.

Complaints? Not one. Never lost a job because we dont do custom cases and no one has ever asked. If you do offer them and boast about them then yes, people will listen. But the delivery of the final product is never a question which comes up.

When I take delivery of a new £20,000 car I dont expect them to have my name and picture on the front of the owners manual ;)

We believe very firmly in branding. We've just launched a sister company which went through a similar branding treatment but by a different agency. A Hint of Mint Ltd | Wedding Video / Films | Wedding Videographer based near London UK
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Standard DVD & Blu-ray cases are horrible which is why we don't use them. If we are charging £1000-2000 for our videos then I think that it's nice for the client to have a lovely artefact that is customised for them.

We print on the Blu-ray & DVD discs with a Canon iP4850. We use Canon inks as we don't print dozens of discs so any savings using potentially less than perfect 3rd-party inks would be minimal. The image on the disc is usually based on the background image on the disc menu. I don't have a photo of a finished disc to hand but attached is a screen shot from the label design program that came with the printer with a typical disc.

The disc cases we use are from Loxley Colour & cost about £25-30 each but are beautiful quality. We do boast about the lovely cases when making our sales pitch. https://www.loxleycolour.com/cddvdfolio.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Labeling your Media - Final Discs for Couple-screen-shot-2014-01-14-15.29.07.jpg  
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Danny, how do you handle the menus within the DVDs/Blu-rays? Are they always the same as well or are those customized?
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Major Player

I've mostly printed my own discs using inkjet for many years. Usually just 2-3 copies for each wedding, though I do a few stage events each season (plays, recitals) that might require 50-100 copies each. Had an HP inkjet for years and now have an Epson, I think 720/730 type, but that is awkward to load so I don't want to do mass quantities with it. Regarding ink usage with each startup - I just leave printer on, so that doesn't bother me.

On the larger bulk DVD jobs, I've started using Kunaki -- CD/DVD manufacturing and publishing service - this may not help folks outside the US though. But I just upload the DVD and the artwork to their site and a few days later the finished discs arrived at my door. Full color printing of DVD, case jacket, card inside case (if desired), includes shrink wrap, all for $1.75 per unit. Can't beat that at home and saves me a TON of labor on the larger jobs.

If you print your own inkjet discs, look for Taiyo Yuden (now JVC) "Watershield" discs - these have a glossy surface that results in a much nicer image than typical matte white inkjet printables.

Thanks
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera View Post
On the larger bulk DVD jobs, I've started using Kunaki -- CD/DVD manufacturing and publishing service - this may not help folks outside the US though. But I just upload the DVD and the artwork to their site and a few days later the finished discs arrived at my door. Full color printing of DVD, case jacket, card inside case (if desired), includes shrink wrap, all for $1.75 per unit. Can't beat that at home and saves me a TON of labor on the larger jobs.
There are similar deals here in the UK even for quite short runs of 20 or 30 discs too. The nice thing is the very professional look in a shrink wrapped package. Unless you have invested in one of these duplicating towers and have hours to waste it's a no brainer to get these guys to duplicate your discs for you.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
We went for a standard printed disk and case. It means we reinforce our brand but also cut down production time by another half a day.
Thx for the info, much appreciated, this is actually the part that interests me most and that's how much time I can save per wedding, custom designing the prints for the case and dvd takes time. Maybe I could have a bunch pre-printed with a cardboard sleeve by a professional printing company and have the exclusive box, which Nigel linked to as paying option. Have to think about that.

Thx also for the branding company link, I probably would not invest in something like this as I will remain a one man company and have no ambitions in growing or getting my name out there, If I would have to make a living out of filming alone then definitely yes, a good recognizable brand would be the way to go but because I"m retired I just try to have fun but I end up every year doing to much weddings so timesavers are always welcome. I usually use what you and other known videographers do as inspiration to develop my own thing, very likely not as nice looking but fun to do myself. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
Danny, how do you handle the menus within the DVDs/Blu-rays? Are they always the same as well or are those customized?
Those are custom.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #14
Major Player

i used lightscribe in the past, but mostly i use print on DVDs, the printer i have is a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 which yields very good prints.
Does anyone use pre-made after effects menus that can match up with packaging cotents for an overall look?
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I like to use the same photo as a background for the menu as I use on the disc. Obviously the image has to be cropped as the disc is circular & the menu a 16:9 rectangle. Here is the DVD/Blu-ray menu that matches the disc that I posted earlier. I haven't actually done this for a client as I usually offer the leatherette, damask, silk or faux suede covers but it could be quite cool to use the same image wrapped on the DVD Folio case.
Attached Thumbnails
Labeling your Media - Final Discs for Couple-rose-menu-hd-3.jpg  
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques