What do you charge for making extra BluRay discs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you charge for making extra BluRay discs?

Right now, I offer my clients delivery on BluRay. Yesterday someone asked me if they could have two extra copied for their parents. What are the rest of you charging for making extra discs for your clients?
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: What do you charge for making extra BluRay discs?

How many were included originally? If they only want a couple extra I'd do it for free. The good will you would generate would out shine the $$$$ you could charge. just my $0.02
Steve Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, right now I'm offering one disc. But that's only because my fees are extremely low, as I'm starting out and I need the introductory business. I don't upcharge for BluRay in the first place, but I did tell my client that I would make them two extra copies in cases with the same custom labels that I made for the original, for $50. I figured any less wasn't even worth asking for, and any more would have been sucking blood from them for something where most of the work has already been finished. I just wanted to cover the cost of a couple of discs, cases, and time for re-encoding the bluray files (I don't keep the conformed files after I'm done, just to save space) and putting together the cases. She had no problem with it.

I think in the future when I am charging more money, I may offer up to 3-4 copies at no upcharge.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I decided this year to charge for an upgrade in packaging, no the disk. For my workflow, I'd rather do blu-ray since you can fit more footage on it, so less printing in the long run.

Now finding quality printable blu-ray disks, that's another topic entirely.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Trustee

If you already have the BD master and supplied them one copy, $20 - $25 per extra copy is not unreasonable.

You're running a business and while giving stuff away for free 'may' get you the extra brownie points it doesn't pay for cameras, put fuel in the car etc. Its also unlikely to make any real difference between them recommending you or not, since recommendations would be based on your overall service and their satisfaction towards the final film.

They are asking for extras and should expect to pay. This is business, not charity. We charge £15 for DVD and £20 for Blu-ray, but things always seem to go £ for $ ;)

FYI, the one thing we do keep around are the 'deliverables', which means the ISO file and the files required to print the disc and case inlays. If some one comes back for more copies these are what you need instead of spending hours rebuilding them only to find they don't work because you updated software and/or OS and now there's a problem with the old files.

If you opened up your project to try re-encode new discs and it was missing files etc then you'd be screwed. Always always keep what you need for quick production of copies rather then all the effort of rebuild from scratch.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm looking at my options for packaging, once I bump my prices and want to deliver a higher-quality physical item. I've been using glossy inkjet labels for my discs and case covers, but I'd eventually like something better. It would be nice if there was a disc-printing solution that wasn't too expensive.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Trustee

Same as Dave... £15 and £20 Blu-ray..If they kick up a fuss I give one disc for free, I have been recommended on that basis.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I ask 50 euro for the first blu-ray and 30 euro starting from the second, I also charge 90 euro extra for the digital HD files which include a usb stick. (basic packages is dvd's only)

I think out of 50 weddings maybe 2 ask for a extra blu-ray and 50 ask for the digital HD files.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques