Enquiries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Enquiries

Just had to post this still laughing.
Hi guys can you give me a price on your feature film! Love your work!
Hi yes can you give me a rough idea on times venue what you require?
Yes you won't be there long! Just film a bit of the prep not much you know! Then just film a bit of the ceremony not much you know! Then a bit of outside the church but let the photog do all that if you want a rest! Oh we need the speeches cake and if you want to stay till the first dance at 10 pm you can if you like!
Jeeez!!
Yes love you are talking about my top package at £1795!!
What!! My budget is only £500!!!
Hahahaha what he hell! F........ F you silly woman.
What's your best enquiry ha steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Enquiries

I'm not sure I get your post?! Do you have your rates listed on your page? Are they pretty easy to find via the navigation menu? It doesn't sound like she's fully trying to lowball you or be a tirekicker, just that she wasn't aware of your pricing.

You may do really great work, be in demand, or use 2 shooters etc, but I did a L to US Dollar conversion & I think it comes out to $800. Kindof a low wedding video rate but I don't think its entirely absurd. You didn't really tell her to "F off" did you??
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Are you serious read the post she just wants a few things filming then comes out with pretty much all day filming!!
Old January 29th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Trustee

We've had them too Steve.

Remember (sticking tongue firmly in cheek here) all you do is turn up, have lots of fun filming their wedding, which remember you're getting to go to a wedding for free(!) and then give them the video at the end.

How could you possibly want more than £50 or so for doing that Steve? After all her brother had offered to do it for free, so £50 is a lot :D

I said tongue in cheek, but I've actually had that said to me by some one wanting a video!!!

[Edit to add] Oh, and if you do me this great deal I'll tell all my friends how great you were and you'll get lots of extra business! Yay!

Last edited by Dave Partington; January 29th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Dave Partington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hah - i occasionally get one of these - i politely wish them well and let them go. I never entertain bargaining, never offer discounts/midweek/out of season etc as far as i'm concerned filming a wedding on a weds in january is exactly the same amount of time and effort as filming on on a saturday in august.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
i'm concerned filming a wedding on a weds in january is exactly the same amount of time and effort as filming on on a saturday in august.
Pete
...and in many ways it's harder and takes longer if the light is bad and you end up adding some noise reduction to the render time.
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Are you serious read the post she just wants a few things filming then comes out with pretty much all day filming!!
OK, I gotcha. Yeah that threw me off as I was reading it, but then I thought you were more upset with her rates. I like how it's "only a little bridal prep" :"only a little ceremony (whatever that is??)" "only a little portrait session" and "only a little reception until 10pm"... Isn't that basically a full wedding shoot? Reminds me of the Jerky Boyz prank call "I'm only burned around the head, chest, neck, throat and breast area".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post

Remember (sticking tongue firmly in cheek here) all you do is turn up, have lots of fun filming their wedding, which remember you're getting to go to a wedding for free(!) and then give them the video at the end.

[Edit to add] Oh, and if you do me this great deal I'll tell all my friends how great you were and you'll get lots of extra business! Yay!
I would scoff at the first one because how many people do you know would want to spend an entire day at somebody else's wedding they don't even know?! Let alone on their feet, running around without hardly a break, working hard and interacting with complete strangers.

The second one, ugggghhh, while there's some truth to it I have no idea how aggressive a sales pitch she's going to make for me, so it's not a huge factor. Would a mechanic change your oil for plenty of referrals?
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Trustee

David, thats OK - I scoff at both ;)

Anyone who offers to get me lots of referrals by giving them a discount now immediately gets the following counter offer: You pay full price now and then I'll give you a rebate/commission for every friend you bring to me who also pays full price. Deal?

I wonder why there's no takers. Hmmm.... :)
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

That's why I have full pricing and what you get for your money on my website. Brides with a budget can then easily see if they can afford me or not.

Oh dear..the old discount trick! I simply tell them .."That's already my bottom price" "but you can pay less if we take a few events out of the package like the cake cutting and first dance" "that will save you a lot"

They change their mind quite quickly and pay the correct amount !

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Trustee

Nice one guys, I am glad it happens to others as I thought it was just Liverpool. What else annoys me also is that question? What discount do you give please?? Mmm ok I say to myself if I buy a camera and ask for discount he does not say ok pay me in 8 months time he wants the cash now for the camera because of the discount!! Thinking the same and that's how it should be! Ok love I say, here is discount but pay me cash now as I have done you a good deal!!! Or at least pay 50%!! What she says is, I have no money till next year can you hold the date for me without a deposit! Jeez some just don't get it do they! They want discount with no money! Ha well I suppose good clients make up for It hey lads !!
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Steve?

Also remember that a lot of ethnic brides have bargaining as part of their culture. They expect you to haggle and are usually quite put out if you refuse to budge on pricing. One of the reason I don't do them.

I guess others work on the assumption that if you don't ask for a discount you won't get one. You have to applaud them for at least trying to get a top package for the price lower than what you wouldn't even consider getting out of your chair.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Major Player

When they ask for a discount, put the price up 10% each time they ask. They'll soon understand that bargaining in YOUR culture is different.
Old January 30th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #13
Trustee

Cheers guys, booked a serious client this morning. Hi would you be available on the 24 July 2014?? My friend passed your name to me? Yes sure here are my packages!! I will have the middle one please prep to dance!! Cheers!!
Now that's better wish it was as easy as that!!! Cheers guys!!
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Truly Amazing - I''ve just had a guy on the phone who got me to outline my packages/prices and then came out with - 'well really I did want the full day but my budget is not more than £400 - what can you do?'

I would love to say 'good luck with that mate!' but I'm too polite

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Major Player

Would people say it's a good idea to state your prices online or not?

I would lean not to, just because if someone sees your prices online and they think it's too high they might just forget about contacting you all together but if you don't have your prices listed they may get in touch which you may be able to convince them to up they budget a bit.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques