List your top video producers in the Wedding industry? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: List your top video producers in the Wedding industry?

+1 for Bob Nicolas. Amazing work from them, always inspires me.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
+1 for Bob Nicolas
Eventhough it's just a very small, almost negligible part, of the video, but I have no clue how they do their ringshot each time, it almost looks as if some after effects is involved or they just try that shot 20 times just to get the timings right. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #48
Major Player

I just watched the Roland Mihalzsky movie. Beautifully shot. beautifully edited, but what use is it as a wedding record? I found myself flicking through it to find the interesting stuff!

Speaking as a potential customer rather than a wedding videographer, what we really want is Autie Mabel spilling trifle down her cleavage or cousin George getting his face slapped for propositioning one of the bridesmaids, a true record of that momentous day in our lives.

Of course, I may just be a bit old-fashioned! :)

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Eventhough it's just a very small, almost negligible part, of the video, but I have no clue how they do their ringshot each time, it almost looks as if some after effects is involved or they just try that shot 20 times just to get the timings right. :)
Haha I was thinking the same - at least 100 times surely! It's almost like CGI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
I just watched the Roland Mihalzsky movie. Beautifully shot. beautifully edited, but what use is it as a wedding record? I found myself flicking through it to find the interesting stuff!

Speaking as a potential customer rather than a wedding videographer, what we really want is Autie Mabel spilling trifle down her cleavage or cousin George getting his face slapped for propositioning one of the bridesmaids, a true record of that momentous day in our lives.

Of course, I may just be a bit old-fashioned! :)

Dave
It's an incredible film, but I agree completely - I also skipped the film and it brings back the saying that I hear most videographers say - audio is more than half of the video. Sure, his shots hold up and if I'm watching from a cinematography perspective, I'm incredibly impressed, but when trying to learn about their day? I found it inadequate. Also, he jumps between having already seen the bride at the altar and before... I don't think he quite captures time-shifting. It should be progressive... whereas his brings the story forwards, then backwards etc. I don't think it's quite there... that said, it's a million times better than what I can do! Incredible footage.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #50
Inner Circle

I agree with Dave

Sure the images are stunning and very cinematic and romantic BUT for a bride there is virtually no storyline. To me it's simply a very very good example of the videographer showing you. Look how great I am, I am the greatest but content wise for the bride she comes second best ...it's all about the videographer so as a portfolio it's awesome but as a wedding video that the bride wants for memories, to me it fails completely.

A very impressive piece to show off your skills but sadly the bride was purely the model here ...it would, of course, impress the pants off other videographers but if I was the bride I would have said "What about me ..who's day was it anyway.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Just saw another video from Bob Nicolas, his videos have such a smooth flow in camera movements and their eyecandy shots are from a level I have not seen before, just check out that ring shot at 01:00 or that weddingdress shot at 02:00 or just the openingsshot, I know they are a multicam operator team but they sure all know how to operate their dslr's, their videos are really fun to watch.

Ed and Chimene on Vimeo
Anyone know who the song is by?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #52
Major Player

Good thread guys.
That song is Colbie Caillat - I Do

Does anyone know any of the tracks from the other Bob nicholas video on this thread (Echo and Kim)?

Bob Nicholas work is fantastic. I think the work done by Roland Mihalsky, while obviously being very stylish and the guy is seriously talented. i think its risky stuff. It just seems to me if I took this arty type approach to the point that he has taken it (taking shots out of context and creating a new storyline basically) that I wouldnt be able to please all of the people all of the time. Thats the key to a successful video business. 100% percent client satisfaction to allow us to keep moving on and through the jobs to make as much money as possible.
Its so subjective and becomes the type of stuff that some people like and some people don't.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Thought I recognised the voice - thanks
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #54
Inner Circle

"I do" from "Colbie Caillat" and "Hurricane" from "The Fray"

I wouldn't bother trying to use those for your video as they don't appear songs that you can license for that purpose.
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Actually Noa you can get that Colbie Caillet song on Songfreedom - The Fray I doubt very much you would get a licence for.

https://www.songfreedom.com/share/song/4611/I%20Do

Pete
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #56
Major Player

I've thought myself from time to time about producing just a highlights clip of a wedding.
Hovering around (as a single camera operator) getting lots of varied shots thoughout the day and within reason building the story as i go. The intention would be to produce a nice highlights clip (5- 10 mins) with editing only taking up a few hours of my time. Charge nearly what Im charging now. Wouldnt that be nice.
What wold be lost would be all that is real. Actual speeches etc but Im not sure the client would care.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #57
Inner Circle

I wouldn't buy a song from songfreedom if they would pay me, they have popular and known songs in their catalogue which are supposed to be licensed for worldwide use but they aren't, they lied to me once but not a second time.
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #58
Major Player

My biggest hurdles I'm finding with taking my videos to the level of these guys/gals...

1: Skilled Second Shooters - I haven't really found too many people who could say, go out and get these incredible shots without me having to storyboard them out or something.
2: Faking it - I find it hard to believe all these amazing videos don't do a lot of "hey hold on, lets redo that one more time, give me more smile okay"
3: Charging for it - Having all the extra gear and skilled hands to use it is going to get expensive.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #59
Major Player

Whilst these videos are great to look at I'd imagine they represent only 1% of wedding videos. They are super over produced and that's not possible or desired in most cases. If 3000$ is more or less a yearly wage in the Philippines then imagine what you could do with the equivalent in you country! For around 12000 euros I'd send out 3 cameramen and a sound guy and I'd just direct! Sounds great!
Back to the real world!
I'd be really interested to see what people are achieving for more modest budgets. Single shooter weddings, how to get enough quality footage to make a 40 min doc and a 5 min trailer, etc. Something like a list of top end video producers, mid end video producers and budget producers.
And maybe a list of 30min plus video edits.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #60
Inner Circle

I think that's a great idea Andrew, you might start a seperate thread for that in the "SPC - Single Person Crew" category? Although I don't consider myself a top end videographer at all I wouldn't mind sharing a film with additional explanation what I focus on at the wedding and what I use to achieve that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques