List your top video producers in the Wedding industry? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #1
New Boot

List your top video producers in the Wedding industry?

Hi guys....

I can't remember seeing one of these threads recently, and it's in no way meant to turn into anything but giving credit where it's due and sharing. I'm always mindful that there are plenty of talented people out there who don't get a mention or who I haven't heard of, and always love to check out what talented people are producing. So the purpose of this thread is to learn about the best in the biz, from, well... the best in the biz I suppose?

With that being said, from what you have seen online, in person or otherwise, who do you rate as the top guys in the industry. Name the guys you think produce great work...
Stevan Ostojic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: List your top video producers in the Wedding industry?

This is bound to be a tiresome tribute to quack cinematography and nothing else but here goes :- )

Joe Simon does a pretty decent job within the genre e.g.

He is of course also infamous for sailing too close to the wind with copyright music and learned the hard way; extremely hard way.

http://www.pdnonline.com/news/Weddin...her-4188.shtml

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Too simple!

All the awesome videographers that post on this forum are naturally top in the industry not the odd guy who we never hear from. They all put in the most work and deserve the credit for posting here!

Purely the fact that they are churning out plenty of weddings every season with happy brides means they must be doing something right. I vote 100% for the regular contributors on the DVInfo wedding forum

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Major Player

I do wonder... If the quality in my locality is higher than elsewhere.

There are five guys who charge more than me in my area, and thats simply because they are better. Not just better, I honestly think they are all super. And this is in NI with a population of under 2million and still competing with too many old school documentary type guys with huge cameras and nothing but tripod pans all day long.

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Bob Nicolas is my favorite: https://vimeo.com/bobnicolas
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Too simple!

All the awesome videographers that post on this forum are naturally top in the industry not the odd guy who we never hear from.
It's my impression that the videographers that spend very little to no time on a forum are usually the ones that produce the most impressive films.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Noa

That's not a very positive attitude from you? So the fact that you post quite often means that you are way below par?? I don't think so, I have seen your work and it's stunning so technically you shouldn't be posting at all

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #8
New Boot

Certainly not intending for this to be to be a debate on style of video, or a forum for critique, but rather a way to discover work which you might not otherwise come across if not for people here sharing what they appreciate. No critique or debate needed, just share :)

I for one really like the work of these guys: https://vimeo.com/cinema/videos

And Noa, I tend to agree in the sense that there would be plenty of talented people out there who don't go on forums, don't share their work or get involved in their local or broader video community. Keep em coming.
Stevan Ostojic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Wow Stevan, that dude is unreal. Look at this one...

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hey Noa

That's not a very positive attitude from you? So the fact that you post quite often means that you are way below par??
Most users that are very active on this forum in the wedding section are enthusiastics, most have a job beside filming as well and most like to share their knowledge, they also don't mind sharing what goes wrong in their business and they often ask for critique on their work in order to improve.

The very known weddingvideographers however, the ones that set the trends, that can charge a high amount for their weddings also like to share, but not here, their knowledge doesn't come for free and they organize workshops instead. I think they avoid forums because once you are very known everything you say can be used against you at some time and they are to busy building a reputation.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have to say that I never post examples of my work as I am only interested in client and potential client views. I would perhaps produce something different if I was trying to impress other people in the same video production business.

My video are are also at least 90 minutes long, so without viewing the whole, the message won't get across. I would also add though that some of the cinematic trailers that I see here are exceptionally well produced even if totally different to my own style. I also see many that are technically superb, but bare absolutely no resemblance to what my own clients would want. Horses for Courses :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevan Ostojic View Post
I for one really like the work of these guys: https://vimeo.com/cinema/videos
Cinemaworks looks a lot like Bob Nicolas and as far as I can tell they are both from the Philippines, those guys are visually brilliant though often seem less in the audio depertmant, cinemaworks don't even mic the groom and just use the church soundspeakers to capture the vows, otoh they go all the way to present a visually mindblowing piece, steadicam, cranes, 3 camera set up with probably at least 3 operators, I also see they add light in the venue, if you then see how ridiculously low prizes they charge but that is probably a lot of money where they live. I find their steadicamwork also very good, a lot better then what I do with my blackbird. Only the colors from cinemaworks video sometimes looks a bit odd but probably done to create their own look. Good thing they don't live in Belgium, they'd take away all my clients :)
I wonder how they do the ringshot with that blue sparkling background, that looks very cool.
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Igors work is also outstanding:
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #14
Trustee

As great as all these guys are. There is so much more to making money from wedding videos than just creating stunning films. (Sorry for going a bit off topic here)

I know of studios that do 50-60 weddings a year and their work is awful in comparison to members of this forum which Noa primarily says are 'enthusiasts'

If anything these videos will impress other videographers more than they will clients. At the end of the day a bride looking to get married won't cry over these videos as she can't relate to them. She will only care about price first and if the work they see is on the same level as other videographers that she's narrowed down within her budget and then only care about what you capture on HER special day.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Trustee

I always felt that the 3-5 minute film is for their friends. The hour (or more) video is just for them. That's why we settled on featuring 15 or 20 minutes into most of our creative edits - to try and balance the two. We do still make the longer hour long video for the B&G, too.

I really like Joe Simon's videos and seeing his work was what inspired us to start videography - or at least to take it seriously.

I think this stop-motion from Delphine photography has some really great ideas we'd like to learn to incorporate.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques