DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Show (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/52145-wedding-show.html)

Derek Harkins October 3rd, 2005 10:00 AM

Wedding Show

I am about to do my fist wedding show, and I am looking for a few pointers or any ideas of how to best market my services to the prospective clients. My thoughts were to have a set up with a TV/DVD unit to show a demo DVD w/ highlights and to set up two monitors, one with a Cannon ZR (1 chip cam) to show the image uncle BOB would get and have my Panasonic DVX set up to get the same image that I would get. I wanted to use this example to show people the difference in quality. Do you think this would backfire? Any other ideas?

Don Bloom October 3rd, 2005 10:35 AM

I don't do shows anymore but I do occassionaly help a friend out at them and here's what I find.
ONE-at least here in my area the shows are very crowded so not a lot of time to talk in depth with people UNLESS you have 2 or 3 people working the booth with you.

TWO-forget putting up the cameras. Brides don't really care what you use they care about the look and quality of the finished product. Show them that on your short bridal show demo-PLUS if they have an Uncle Bob you'll insult them ;-)

THIRD-have lots of flyer/brochures and business cards to hand out

FOURTH-make sure you have a way to get their name, addresss and phone number. I know the shows give you a list of all the girls that have registered to attend but you might be talking to a B2B at the show and she wants you to send a demo to her. This way you can get the info to do that.

FIFTH-some people like to hand out demos right there some don't. Your choice.

In any case remember a show is advertising. Your name and image are out there. You may or maynot book a gig at the show but don't get discouraged if you don't. Most bookings come AFTER the show when you least expect it and after you've forgotten the show. The show is the time to get your name in front of lots of B2Bs in a short period of time. Put forward good work, fair pricing and a good attitude and I'm sure you'll do fine.

HTHs
Don

A.J. Briones October 3rd, 2005 10:49 AM

i would worry that some brides may mistake your canon zr as one of your production cameras. bridal shows are loud, noisy, and overwhelming, and it's hard for a bride to take everything in. when a bride walks up to your booth, you have their attention for about 2 minutes. if you don't get their attention by then, they are on to the next booth.

imho, i would focus on showcasing the final product.

good luck with the show! wear some comfortable shoes and have fun!

Steven Davis October 3rd, 2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Harkins
I am about to do my fist wedding show, ....

Hey Derek,

Post if you can after the show. I'm going to do one first of next year, I would be interested to hear how you liked the one you are going to.

The only advice I can give is to be personable. Make a good impression with a smile. Weddings are very personal. And if you make a good initial impression with the B&G, then they'll remember you when they look at your information later. But don't go over board or the bride will think you're flirting. Ok, maybe that doesn't happen to anyone. J/K.

Seriously though, nothing makes a better impression than a smile.

Bruce Linden October 3rd, 2005 01:27 PM

You've already gotten some good advice. I'd just add that you should be sure to have your monitor on a stand so that it is at eye level. Makes a big difference in the time they spend looking at your demo. Also it is seem by more people at once since no one is standing up close to your table and blocking the view.

Be sure to network with all the other vendors including any other video people. Get their cards and give them yours.

Derek Harkins October 3rd, 2005 02:58 PM

thanks to all your advise. I am really looking forward to the show. I was not going to do the show as I have seen many horror wedding shows with no organization but the way that this show is set up is that in order for the B&G to win any of the show drawings (they are pretty nice) the attendees have to go to each booth and get a stamp from each vender. They set the show up this way to guarantee the B&G's will come to your booth

Glen Elliott October 4th, 2005 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Harkins
I am about to do my fist wedding show, and I am looking for a few pointers or any ideas of how to best market my services to the prospective clients. My thoughts were to have a set up with a TV/DVD unit to show a demo DVD w/ highlights and to set up two monitors, one with a Cannon ZR (1 chip cam) to show the image uncle BOB would get and have my Panasonic DVX set up to get the same image that I would get. I wanted to use this example to show people the difference in quality. Do you think this would backfire? Any other ideas?

I wouldn't take that angle in regards to marketing yourself. Focus on the content rather than the technology. It shold be a "given" that your video quality is better. You want to separate yourself from every other videographer that has a DVX, do so by selling what you "create" with the DVX rather than the DVX itself. Best of luck.