Video and Photos -- why do I need both? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 236
Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Got this idea earlier this year and just now have time to put it in action. Obviously that's always a question we get, at least around here. I have even had a couple of wedding planners contact me, frustrated that their clients think they just don't "need" a video, and if I had any insight on how to convince them.

Flash back to October at the end of a ceremony...minister says "you may kiss the..." and the groom was so dang excited he grabs his bride and kisses her and then the minister finishes "bride" and everyone laughs. I thought THAT is a moment that is just NOT going to be the same in photos!

So now I'm scouring my footage and finished videos from this year and have come up with several more examples.

My reason for this post is, that I was looking for a video someone posted a long time ago on a topic like this...I know they were from down under, because I had sought out the video a few times because I thought it was so brilliant. The video was a series of stills that he/she "brought to life" when they were put in motion. I just wanted to watch it again, if it is even still online, just to get some inspiration, and see what ideas it might spark for my own video.

I've searched but seriously can't remember who posted it, or even what the original topic was. Anyone remember this?
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Hmm... can you recall the site that hosted this video, Katie? Was it us, or YouTube, or Vimeo perhaps?
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

A number of years ago I took a line from one of the top wedding guys in the country and I'm sure he is still working. I won't mention his name but the line I took was this: 'If you could see your grandparents wedding album OR their wedding video and could only choose 1...which would it be?' In almost every case the potential client told me 'The video'. I would ask why and here's is what they almost always said...'I'd be able to hear what's being said'.
Having done both stills and video in the wedding business I found the answer is right there. Tell the client to LISTEN to the still photographs. Hear the vows, hear the sweet moments that they didn't know were being captured and to see the story unfold. They'll look at you like you're crazy. You can't hear anything in the still photographs. RIGHT and while the still are very important think about how important the video is.

A well crafted video with GREAT audio will tell the story in a way that still can't. BOTH are important but try this....watch a TV show and turn off the sound. What do you have?

Just one reason IMO why video is so important. There are many more.
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: York, England
Posts: 1,323
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
A number of years ago I took a line from one of the top wedding guys in the country and I'm sure he is still working. I won't mention his name but the line I took was this: 'If you could see your grandparents wedding album OR their wedding video and could only choose 1...which would it be?' In almost every case the potential client told me 'The video'. I would ask why and here's is what they almost always said...'I'd be able to hear what's being said'.
Having done both stills and video in the wedding business I found the answer is right there. Tell the client to LISTEN to the still photographs. Hear the vows, hear the sweet moments that they didn't know were being captured and to see the story unfold. They'll look at you like you're crazy. You can't hear anything in the still photographs. RIGHT and while the still are very important think about how important the video is.

A well crafted video with GREAT audio will tell the story in a way that still can't. BOTH are important but try this....watch a TV show and turn off the sound. What do you have?

Just one reason IMO why video is so important. There are many more.
Brilliant Don, absolutely brilliant. Thank you.
__________________
Qualified UAV Pilot with CAA PFAW
Aerial Photo / Aerial Video | Corporate Video Production
Dave Partington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 236
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Unfortunately I don't know exactly where it was hosted...it might have been Vimeo, but definitely not on Youtube. I want to say the person posting was a female videographer, if that sparks anyone's memory.

The grandparents' video vs. photos is an excellent point Don!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LIncolnshire, UK
Posts: 2,051
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Great line Don!

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,148
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Fasel View Post
My reason for this post is, that I was looking for a video someone posted a long time ago on a topic like this...I know they were from down under, because I had sought out the video a few times because I thought it was so brilliant. The video was a series of stills that he/she "brought to life" when they were put in motion. I just wanted to watch it again, if it is even still online, just to get some inspiration, and see what ideas it might spark for my own video.
Has Chris Harding not chimed in yet? I'm pretty sure he has something like this at his website!
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 236
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

I actually found it! It was from Paper Cranes back in 2010! I also watched Chris' video too. Kind of what I'm looking to do! Hopefully I can get it done soon and share
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 8,222
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Give me a break Adrian.. I'm still waking up!! Remember you guys are 3 hours ahead of us.

Yep that expression from Don is solid gold. I think with heads together we could come up with a whole bunch of expressions that could convince the bride that she does need video too.

If you search YouTube some clever video guy got a couple (or actors?) to tell his camera "Why we should have had video at our wedding" - I couldn't find the video with a quick search but it is good and tells new brides "Don't make the mistake we made"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Fasel View Post
I actually found it! It was from Paper Cranes back in 2010!
Aha! So... link, please?
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 8,222
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Their website is at Wedding Video Sydney | creative@papercranes.com.au | Paper Cranes Productions 1300 99 66 10 | If a picture is worth a thousand words? What about motion picture?

I think the expression that was talked about was this one on The Knot

"If a picture is worth a thousand words then what about a motion picture"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 8,222
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Katie ?

This is the YouTube clip I was talking about ..not sure how genuine it is but it sounds convincing!!

Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Since I didn't make that line up but "stole" it from someone else, you are all welcome to use it. However I am charging a $1.00 royalty and licensing fee for every time you do. You can however contact me to purchase a lifetime license for only $10,000. USD not payable thru PayPal unless you are will to pay the fee.

Now for those of you that don't understand my cynical and somewhat sarcastic sense of humor I am kidding of course. IF however you would like to send me money feel free. This would help insure my retirement from the wedding industry.

Honestly I feel if I have to work that hard to CONVINCE to hire me to do their wedding I probably don't want the job anyway.

Let 'em eat cake!

O|O
\--/
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 236
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Sorry, I should have shared! It was actually part of their 2010 show reel...


I had no idea it went that far back, but so glad I found it! I think it's really great!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Luckey, OH
Posts: 192
Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

I love the idea! Now I'm going to have to make one too...
Byron Jones is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network