Video and Photos -- why do I need both? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Got this idea earlier this year and just now have time to put it in action. Obviously that's always a question we get, at least around here. I have even had a couple of wedding planners contact me, frustrated that their clients think they just don't "need" a video, and if I had any insight on how to convince them.

Flash back to October at the end of a ceremony...minister says "you may kiss the..." and the groom was so dang excited he grabs his bride and kisses her and then the minister finishes "bride" and everyone laughs. I thought THAT is a moment that is just NOT going to be the same in photos!

So now I'm scouring my footage and finished videos from this year and have come up with several more examples.

My reason for this post is, that I was looking for a video someone posted a long time ago on a topic like this...I know they were from down under, because I had sought out the video a few times because I thought it was so brilliant. The video was a series of stills that he/she "brought to life" when they were put in motion. I just wanted to watch it again, if it is even still online, just to get some inspiration, and see what ideas it might spark for my own video.

I've searched but seriously can't remember who posted it, or even what the original topic was. Anyone remember this?
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Video and Photos -- why do I need both?

Hmm... can you recall the site that hosted this video, Katie? Was it us, or YouTube, or Vimeo perhaps?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A number of years ago I took a line from one of the top wedding guys in the country and I'm sure he is still working. I won't mention his name but the line I took was this: 'If you could see your grandparents wedding album OR their wedding video and could only choose 1...which would it be?' In almost every case the potential client told me 'The video'. I would ask why and here's is what they almost always said...'I'd be able to hear what's being said'.
Having done both stills and video in the wedding business I found the answer is right there. Tell the client to LISTEN to the still photographs. Hear the vows, hear the sweet moments that they didn't know were being captured and to see the story unfold. They'll look at you like you're crazy. You can't hear anything in the still photographs. RIGHT and while the still are very important think about how important the video is.

A well crafted video with GREAT audio will tell the story in a way that still can't. BOTH are important but try this....watch a TV show and turn off the sound. What do you have?

Just one reason IMO why video is so important. There are many more.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
A number of years ago I took a line from one of the top wedding guys in the country and I'm sure he is still working. I won't mention his name but the line I took was this: 'If you could see your grandparents wedding album OR their wedding video and could only choose 1...which would it be?' In almost every case the potential client told me 'The video'. I would ask why and here's is what they almost always said...'I'd be able to hear what's being said'.
Having done both stills and video in the wedding business I found the answer is right there. Tell the client to LISTEN to the still photographs. Hear the vows, hear the sweet moments that they didn't know were being captured and to see the story unfold. They'll look at you like you're crazy. You can't hear anything in the still photographs. RIGHT and while the still are very important think about how important the video is.

A well crafted video with GREAT audio will tell the story in a way that still can't. BOTH are important but try this....watch a TV show and turn off the sound. What do you have?

Just one reason IMO why video is so important. There are many more.
Brilliant Don, absolutely brilliant. Thank you.
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Unfortunately I don't know exactly where it was hosted...it might have been Vimeo, but definitely not on Youtube. I want to say the person posting was a female videographer, if that sparks anyone's memory.

The grandparents' video vs. photos is an excellent point Don!
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Great line Don!

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Fasel View Post
My reason for this post is, that I was looking for a video someone posted a long time ago on a topic like this...I know they were from down under, because I had sought out the video a few times because I thought it was so brilliant. The video was a series of stills that he/she "brought to life" when they were put in motion. I just wanted to watch it again, if it is even still online, just to get some inspiration, and see what ideas it might spark for my own video.
Has Chris Harding not chimed in yet? I'm pretty sure he has something like this at his website!
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Major Player

I actually found it! It was from Paper Cranes back in 2010! I also watched Chris' video too. Kind of what I'm looking to do! Hopefully I can get it done soon and share
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Give me a break Adrian.. I'm still waking up!! Remember you guys are 3 hours ahead of us.

Yep that expression from Don is solid gold. I think with heads together we could come up with a whole bunch of expressions that could convince the bride that she does need video too.

If you search YouTube some clever video guy got a couple (or actors?) to tell his camera "Why we should have had video at our wedding" - I couldn't find the video with a quick search but it is good and tells new brides "Don't make the mistake we made"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Fasel View Post
I actually found it! It was from Paper Cranes back in 2010!
Aha! So... link, please?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Their website is at Wedding Video Sydney | creative@papercranes.com.au | Paper Cranes Productions 1300 99 66 10 | If a picture is worth a thousand words? What about motion picture?

I think the expression that was talked about was this one on The Knot

"If a picture is worth a thousand words then what about a motion picture"

Chris
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Katie ?

This is the YouTube clip I was talking about ..not sure how genuine it is but it sounds convincing!!

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Since I didn't make that line up but "stole" it from someone else, you are all welcome to use it. However I am charging a $1.00 royalty and licensing fee for every time you do. You can however contact me to purchase a lifetime license for only $10,000. USD not payable thru PayPal unless you are will to pay the fee.

Now for those of you that don't understand my cynical and somewhat sarcastic sense of humor I am kidding of course. IF however you would like to send me money feel free. This would help insure my retirement from the wedding industry.

Honestly I feel if I have to work that hard to CONVINCE to hire me to do their wedding I probably don't want the job anyway.

Let 'em eat cake!

O|O
\--/
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Sorry, I should have shared! It was actually part of their 2010 show reel...

I had no idea it went that far back, but so glad I found it! I think it's really great!
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I love the idea! Now I'm going to have to make one too...
Byron Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques