Not one has booked a short form for this year?? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Not one has booked a short form for this year??

Nice one Tim.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I don't know how much my insight is worth seeing that I've only been doing this a very short time, but I offer my brides a full-day edit plus a highlight video- I don't have packages. The highlight video is around 5 minutes in length. The reason I've decided to keep a short highlight format (delivered online, not on BluRay with the full-day edit, as of now), is that in this day and age, people want to share video online above all else. And in the age of online video, it is not my believe that the individuals you are sharing it with want to watch a long video of your wedding.

My videos are short enough to maintain interest, and give the viewer a good feeling of the day's events and visuals. I currently haven't made any videos that have any sort of background voice, such as a B&G describing how they met, or how much they love eachother, etc.- it's really just a montage of the day set to music. Perhaps in the future I may incorporate that, but for now my 5 minute videos are proving to be a hit.

I've only booked 6 weddings for this year so far, but that is with $0 in advertising or marketing. I don't even have business cards or a website yet- it's pure referral. And the only material that is selling my work for me to those referrals, are the 5 minute highlight reels that my brides are showing to their friends and family. However, my fees are verrry reasonable right now.
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
And the way I see it, too, (and I've said this in other posts), if I'm going to go through all the footage anyway to make the Highlights (which I do), then I might as well include that nicely cleaned up full-footage as chapters in the disc, too. It's just part of the workflow.

The Highlights, though, is the real centerpiece. The disc starts with this (unless they navigate to running footage chapters), and it's where I put 95% of the creative/artistic effort. But there certainly no minus in leaving (in separate chapters) that running footage since it's been edited/cleaned-up anyway.
Tim (or anyone else) can you explain to me what is meant by 'cleaned up' footage. I've seen this term used in a few threads by those that do highlight videos but also supply full length cleaned up footage. I assume it's just colour matched continuous shots, but not edited as such, but don't really know. After filming and editing well over 2000 doc style weddings, it would be nice to know what others mean ;-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Hey Roger

Due to our age/experience I would say that having been thru the days where you were shooting analogue and doing linear edits we have learnt to shoot more carefully and almost edit in camera so for us a clean up of footage could be as simple as a top and tail of a clip to cut out any wobbles or extra footage. If one's WB is accurate then more often than not there is little or no colour correction either. Then again I have seen a post here last year on a DSLR all in manual done and uploaded showing an annoying photog and the poster showed just the raw footage. That one would have required many many hours of careful edits to eliminate all the out of focus bits so that would have been a lengthy process.

To me you either have edited footage or raw footage ..no in-betweens at all .. so "cleaned up" footage to me is what the bride sees from start to end ... I don't think anyone would supply long form only half edited?

Surely not?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Hey Roger,
For me cleaned up footage means whatever color correction might be needed, taking out the air especially during a ceremony...."Aunt Mary will now come forward and do the first reading..." and it takes her 30 seconds to get from the pew to the pulpit, removing background noises if possible and needed again mostly for the ceremony, reception footage is pretty simple for me to clean up. Mostly cutting heads and tails of clips. I do adjust audio levels a bit if needed but honestly 99% of what I do if it wasn't done would only make the video longer. I do most for to pick up time and it doesn't take me long to do it. Like you after so many weddings you get pretty quick at what you do in the edit bay.
Oh yeah, let me also state that since I've retired from weddings I won't be doing any of that anymore and my friend...I am a happy old man! WooHoo! ;-)
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #36
Inner Circle

So .....Editing then.....:-)

Don, my wife is fully up to speed with filming, photography, editing, customer liason etc, so as she is a lot younger and prettier than me, I confidently expect her to take the majority of the work while I spend more of my time flying and sailing. Can't wait, although I still enjoy the filming at the moment.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques