DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Turkish wedding on the gh3/g6 and sony handicam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521573-turkish-wedding-gh3-g6-sony-handicam.html)

Noa Put February 9th, 2014 05:46 AM

Turkish wedding on the gh3/g6 and sony handicam

This was a fun wedding I did a few months back, at times very chaotic where run and gun got a whole new dimension and there my sony handicams did not let me down, most of it was shot with my new gh3/g6 with the 12:35mm f2.8 and the 14mm pancake. I was limited in the number of lenses I had back then as I just purchased the camera's and a few shots where done with a samyang 85mm which has now been replaced with a 75mm olympus lens, a 7,5mm, 12mm and 25mm lens has been added to my list of m4/3 lenses as well but was not used at this Turkish wedding, also about every shot was done handheld, with exception of 2 shots done with the 85mm which where done on a tripod.

I was very surprised about the cheap g6, I noticed a slight resolution loss in 50p compared to 25p but it doesn't notice when mixed with the gh3, that cheap g6 is a small powerhouse, the music you hear in the video was recorded with the onboard mike of that camera at the centre of the dancefloor and I can tell you it was loud, very loud as the musicians where standing right next to me. Also the shots at 00:17 where music and image is live that was me handholding the g6 with the 14mm pancake in front of me like uncle bob would but as I wanted to capture the ambience up close without scaring people of and this tiny combo sure performs. it also shoots a very clean 3200 iso.

Light conditions at the venue where also very hard to deal with, there was a very bright blue light pointed at the centre of the dance floor which made setting exposure and whitebalance very difficult but again I think the result is more then sufficient.
My blackbird steadicam has been a very valuable asset to create this trailer, some guests came up to me during the dance part asking how the camera remained so steady, they thought it was attached with a wire to me :) A problem though at Turkisch weddings is that a lot of people will pose in front of you if they see you carrying a dslr as all think you are the photog, that's why I liked my steadicam so much as they didn't have the opportunity to stand still in front of me.

I would not want to do a Turkish wedding every weekend as they can be stressful because I don't always know what to expect meaning I have to stay extra alert all the time, often at these kind of weddings they want a lot (read hours) of dancing footage but luckily this couple wanted more of a typical Belgian wedding video, just with the highlights and a bit more of the dancing. I"d work cheaper if I had a couple like that every weekend, very easy going, friendly and made you feel like you are a part of the family, makes your working day, even when you need to push your way through a crowd to get your footage, a lot more pleasant. :)

password: test

Nigel Barker February 9th, 2014 06:55 AM

Re: Turkish wedding on the gh3/g6 and sony handicam

Very nice. We photographed a Turkish wedding a couple of years ago & that was a lot of fun. They didn't want video but without them knowing I shot some clips of the confetti throw & some of the dancing & they were delighted to have these souvenirs. I am surprised that more photographers don't at the very least shoot a few seconds of video of moments at the wedding that really demand video e.g. dancing

I am really impressed with my G6 especially as I got one without the 30 minute recording limit. It is great in low light & very cheap. It has everything you need really except perhaps a headphone socket. It's neat to be able to control it from your smartphone or tablet.

I am now a big fan of MFT cameras as using these small light cameras is very liberating & it's so much less gear to lug about.

James Manford February 9th, 2014 07:01 AM

Very nice, that wedding was begging for a steadycam so that was definitely a good thing to have!

John Knight February 9th, 2014 01:43 PM

Awesome images. I had to turn the sound off thou :)

Noa Put February 9th, 2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

I had to turn the sound off thou
haha, that "sound" was ongoing at least for 2 hours, they also had a dj that played on a synthesizer and sang live in the beginning of the reception, also for about 2 hours, around midnight they had a dj playing cd's with Turkish music. It just shows how different cultures can be, that constant drum and flute playing seems like a very important part of their celebration and many man and woman grab eachothers "pinky" and by that everyone on the dancefloor is connected and everyone dances in the same rhythm, after a while it gets quite hypnotizing. I would not be listening to that kind of music on a cd for longer then 5 minutes but I have to say that at the wedding it didn't bother me at all.

Noa Put February 9th, 2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1831480)
that wedding was begging for a steadycam so that was definitely a good thing to have!

Yes, for the dancingpart my blackbird was a perfect tool and here i used it much more then usual, the couple was thrilled to have their dancing part recorded that way, they told me that Turkisch videographers usually come with 2 big videocamera's, put it on a tripod, point it towards the dancefloor, set it to record and then they go outside to smoke a cigarette. That was the reason why they hired me, a Belgian guy instead, as they didn't want a typical Turkish wedding video :)

Noa Put February 9th, 2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1831479)
I am now a big fan of MFT cameras as using these small light cameras is very liberating & it's so much less gear to lug about.

I believe you did (or still) own a canon c300? Is it only the size of the camera that makes you prefer a m4/3 camera or do you consider the g6 as a good b or even c camera? The c300 should be a much better camera overall, no?

Nigel Barker February 10th, 2014 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1831530)
I believe you did (or still) own a canon c300? Is it only the size of the camera that makes you prefer a m4/3 camera or do you consider the g6 as a good b or even c camera? The c300 should be a much better camera overall, no?

Keep up! I sold the C300 about a year ago basically because the image was too good & it was difficult to cut in with 5D2/5D3 footage. It was also bigger & heavier & less mobile compared to the DSLRs. It has staggeringly good image quality not just the resolution but wonderful dynamic range.

I shot the last couple of weddings last year with a G6 & OM-D alongside the 5D3s & found that the size & weight of the MFT cameras was a revelation. The image quality is definitely there as is the low light performance. The OM-D is now my 'go to' camera for both stills & video as it is so ridiculously easy to use & produces great images. I have been using the 14-42mm kit lens off the G6 but will have a long hard think about what lenses I will need for this year's wedding season. The new Olympus 12-40mm F/2.8 looks good as an alternative to the Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8.

Noa Put February 10th, 2014 06:00 AM

The olympus lens doesn't have any stabilization which makes a big difference, worth the price difference if you ask me. Unless ofcourse you are going to pair it with your olympus camera :)

I have been reading on some reviews about the omd em 1 which seems to be quite good, would love to be able to slap on the 75mm oly lens or a macrolens and just shoot handheld and have stable footage, for quick eyecandy shots that camerabody should be a good investment.

Nigel Barker February 10th, 2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1831623)
The olympus lens doesn't have any stabilization which makes a big difference, worth the price difference if you ask me. Unless ofcourse you are going to pair it with your olympus camera :).

I would do exactly that.