DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Best Shutter Speed for 5D Mark 3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521827-best-shutter-speed-5d-mark-3-a.html)

Joseph Lau February 23rd, 2014 07:41 PM

Best Shutter Speed for 5D Mark 3?

I just curious what shutter speed do you guys use for 24f. I normally use 1/50s

Robert Benda February 23rd, 2014 08:01 PM

Re: Best Shutter Speed for 5D Mark 3?

50 is pretty standard. I don't go below that because of blurring/ghosting. When I go above, I often try to stick with the rule of multiples, even though I have never been taught it matters with shutter speed... so 50, 100, or 200.

At weddings there is rarely a reason I'd want the image to look especially sharp, so if I crank up the shutter, it's usually because it's way too bright - that happens if we're outside during winter up here because of all the snow: f/22 and ISO 100 is still too bright and washed out, so I'll jump to shutter 200.

Adrian Tan February 24th, 2014 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Lau (Post 1833598)
I just curious what shutter speed do you guys use for 24f. I normally use 1/50s

Hey Joseph,

I'm in PAL land shooting 25fps, but my shutter usage goes:

-- most of the time, 1/50, to emulate 180-degree film shutter
-- when desperate for more light, and the subject is stationary, might crank down to 1/30, but not during reception dancing (too much motion blur)
-- when faced with flickering lights at reception, will play with shutter speed till flickering is reduced
-- when trying to get shallow depth of field look outdoors, prepared to crank up the shutter speed maybe to 1/400... have found ND filters too fiddly
-- when shooting slow motion, will have shutter speed as high as I can get it, so it's easier for programs like Twixtor to interpolate
-- when filming action type scenes... eg groomsmen playing football in morning, or flowers being thrown over couple emerging from church... will probably crank up shutter, if not shoot slow motion

Dave Partington February 24th, 2014 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1833623)
Hey Joseph,

I'm in PAL land shooting 25fps, but my shutter usage goes:

-- most of the time, 1/50
-- when desperate for more light, and the subject is stationary, might crank down to 1/30, but not during reception dancing (too much motion blur)
-- when trying to get shallow depth of field look outdoors, prepared to crank up the shutter speed maybe to 1/400... have found ND filters too fiddly
-- when filming action type scenes... eg groomsmen playing football in morning, or flowers being thrown... will probably crank up shutter
-- when shooting slow motion, will have shutter speed as high as I can get it, so it's easier for programs like Twixtor to interpolate

This saved me a lot of typing since it's about where I'm at. I'll drop to 1/30 if the speeches are dark but avoid it for anything else. 1/50 for 99% of the time.

Danny O'Neill February 24th, 2014 04:49 PM

On the dslrs you don't need to stick to multiples. Use whatever you like. You had to do it on the likes of the fx1 or xha1 as it would cause weird strobing but not so.

The only time you may need to is with some led light sources.