L Bracket anyone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 27th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

L Bracket anyone

Hi all - for vertical slider shots I'm looking for an L plate that I can attach a 501pl plate to and then my camera (VG20) at a 90 degree angle.

I've seen this from manfrotto but it's a bit pricey - something simpler might suffice

Manfrotto announces the new L BRACKET

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: L Bracket anyone

Those Manfrotto L Plates look really nice. My supplier can get the Q5 for £109.95. I see that Amazon has it for £91.77.

I haven’t seen any alternatives. Especially one with a 501PL which is what I’d want. I do know from my photography days that L Brackets have never been particularly cheap. I’ve paid £150 upwards for a Kirk or Really Right Stuff L Bracket for my DSLRs.

The only way around it would be to get something like the Phetron L-Shae Flash Bracket for Camera (2-iece Set) and add a couple of Manfrotto 577 which would work out just as expensive.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Major Player

All stuff like that seems to be over-priced. Always has been. Its in the same family as extras you have for shooting wide-angle landscape photos in a sequence where you need to keep the nodal point spot on.

If you can live without that particular plate - a big ask I know - then the Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol grip works well on a slider. Its not cheap but it is at least more functional than a simple similar priced L bracket:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-32.../dp/B000JLK5PK

Its worth fitting an extra adapter to it so that it can be used in all aspects. The 322RA:

Manfrotto 322RA Additional Camera Plate Adapter For: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

That sort of head is also useful on uneven ground as you can level the cam much quicker and easier than by using a ball head or sliding feet in and out.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Major Player

if you really want to trim the budget...

this
Amazon.com: niceEshop Double L-shaped Bracket Holder Mount for Camera & Speedlite Flash: Camera & Photo

plus one or two of these
Calumet Quick-release Video Head Adapter

should git' er' done

but only because you're using a relatively small and light camera
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Trustee

For the cheapest, easiest solution, find a way to extend the base of any ballhead about 3 inches. Since the ballhead can mount up to 90 degrees and anywhere in between, you can leave it on and shoot horizontal, vertically, or diagonally.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Major Player

now there's a good idea.

to add to Warren, if you have a tripod with an extending center column, then you'd be in business
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks guys - I have a 501 head that is mounted on my slider (glidetrack HD) so am looking for something I can attach to that - It needs to be a quick to set up and take down solution.

I have a manfrotto 494RC2 ball head, now If I could find a way of extending it by an inch and attaching to my QR plate I've got a solution!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Major Player

i mean, if you literally need just an inch, these things come with a coupler thats about an inch

Amazon.com: Albinar 7" inch Articulating Magic Arm for Mounting LCD Monitor LED Lights Camera: Camera & Photo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques