Where do you place your equipment in the church? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Where do you place your equipment in the church?

Hello everyone. All the weddings I have done so far have been outdoor weddings. I usually place my gear near the dj. However, in a church where do you place your gear that you use? I would think you may place it in a corner. I would leave all unnecessary gear in my car, but just wondered where you place your bags? Thanks for the suggestions.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Where do you place your equipment in the church?

It REALLY varies on the church. Some have a nice side room that is not being used. Sometimes I'll stow it in the same room that the groomsmen changed in. Others, I am stuck using a pew seat in the back corner. At least once, the pastor has let us use a space where he gets ready.

Or even pack up everything I don't need for the ceremony back in the car, and have everything on my person.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Just depends on church layout!

I guess the main criteria are: (1) out of shot; (2) unlikely to be stolen; (3) accessible; (4) doesn't obstruct people.

So, yep, corners are good.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I typically put it all in the 2nd to last pew all the way towards the wall. Reason being if some late comers arrive & choose to sit right down in the last pew.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Major Player

If I'm shooting it solo, then I place everything in the last row as close to my static cameras as possible, just for ease of access in case something happens and I need to get something out etc.

I have also used side rooms for churches that have them, but I'd say 80% of the time, my cases/bags/boxes are pretty much on the last pew in the church or right behind it.
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Exactly the same as David. My main camera is at the 2nd pew from the front so my odds and ends are under the pew to keep things neat. I also have a GoPro up on the balcony which is un-attended but the 2nd cam is on my shoulder. Never had any problem at Churches. One would obviously not leave a DSLR or still camera lying on a pew at the back so I just keep my stuff all together. Shucks it IS a Church with decent people attending so theft shouldn't happen but I guess one still have to be careful and not leave stuff lying around.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Come to think of it I'd be afraid to put it in a side room. Sometimes I go out for exterior entrance, hadnshaking etc. By the time I'm back in the church the room could be locked & priest/pastor etc gone or no where to be found. I prefer a pew.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques