4k vs in-camera stabilisation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: 4k vs in-camera stabilisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Is 4K affecting light sensitivity like HD did coming from SD due to pixel size? So 4K on an S35 sensor will have smaller pixels ergo worse sensitivity than the HD version of the S35 sensor?
Yes of course assuming the S35 sensor is not the same one and just addressing the pixels differently. The sensor in my AX1 , by all accounts, may be the same as in my HX30V Cybershot camera. The AX1 has a much better lens that accounts for some improvement but they do have similar low light performance. Compared to my NX5U with same dimension sensor and lens the AX1 is maybe 2 stops slower. It has a back illuminated sensor so noise is less and different characteristic than the NX5U but definitely not as sensitive. Not surprising since it has 4 times as many sensor elements in the same dimensions. However the NX5U has too much noise above 12db whereas the AX1 at 18db is better. In real world light when scaled to 1920x1080 the AX1 produces a much better image than the NX5U. When it gets dark neither are that good !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I read that the panasonic gh4 has a better low light performance then the gh3, have not seen any proof of that, are both not having the same sensor size?

I found a second hand Olympus omd em5 sold by a store with warranty, must say I"m tempted getting it, 4k can wait for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I found a second hand Olympus omd em5 sold by a store with warranty, must say I"m tempted getting it, 4k can wait for me.
Go for it Noa! You already have plenty of nice lenses for it. The IBIS is sensational for video but it's a lovely stills camera too.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #19
Inner Circle

My wife would kill me if I"d get another camera. Have been looking at several vimeo videos from Vadim Action made with his em5 and although I do see codec breackup on high detailed scenes, other close ups he did with a shallow dof are gorgeous.

I have said it before that shooting at 30p in pal land worries me but since I only would be using it for brideprep, photoshoot and any other closeup, shallow dof beauty shots (using a 75mm at f1.8 and a macrolens) I could just slow the footage down to 25p as sound wouldn't matter, I even could use my vintage tamron adaptall 80-210 lens handheld, that would be something. I"d prefer to get a EM1 but that's the price of the GH4 and at that price I would prefer the GH4 but the second hand EM5 I saw now sells with a 30% discount and I get a one year warranty so it's about half the price of EM1 now.

Will have to think it over a bit. Being able to shoot handheld with fast primes is very tempting.

I came across below video done with the em5, the owner also says the image breaks up on high detail motion scenes (you can see it happening at 01:11 when he pans to the right trying to follow that monkey, the image falls apart on the fence) but if you choose your image carefully and apply the right amount of shallow dof, man, the image just pops from your screen. 4K will happen anyway for me as well, sooner or later, but having pana gh3 and sony rx10 sharpness right now is plenty for me (and my clients) to go by the next 1 or 2 wedding seasons, add some shake free fast prime beautyshots that I can take on the fly and I"m all set for the time being, to convince my clients I"m on the cutting edge of camera development I could just put a 4K sticker on all my camera's, most never will see the difference anyway on their 1080p screen. ;). I guess I can always sell the omd em5 if it doesn't work out like I hope, How would that sound as a sales pitch to convince my wife? :)

Old March 24th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #20
Inner Circle

This is shot with an OM-D E-M1 but really shows what can be done with the Olympus IBIS handheld with no slider or tripod.

Old March 24th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Is it true Nigel that you can't change the exposure on Panasonic and Olympus lenses while recording on the omd-em5? Read that somewhere.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
This is shot with an OM-D E-M1
Thx for that link, it almost looks unreal and hard to believe that was all handheld, there has been some poststabilisation applied as well but even then, this is very impressive. The EM1 is the same price as the gh4 here, I have read some tests the image of that camera is a bit better then the em5 but at that price I honestly would go for the gh4 as it will give me much more possibilities when it comes to video.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Is it true Nigel that you can't change the exposure on Panasonic and Olympus lenses while recording on the omd-em5? Read that somewhere.
I just checked & this appears to be so. It's not a big issue for me as even with the 5Ds I rarely change aperture while shooting as the 'steps' render the footage useless although it would be slower to stop adjust aperture then restart if the lighting conditions changed radically.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thx for that link, it almost looks unreal and hard to believe that was all handheld, there has been some poststabilisation applied as well but even then, this is very impressive. The EM1 is the same price as the gh4 here, I have read some tests the image of that camera is a bit better then the em5 but at that price I honestly would go for the gh4 as it will give me much more possibilities when it comes to video.
The image stabilisation on the E-M1 & E-M5 is the same.
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I meant for image quality that the EM1 is supposed to have sharper image which could be because of the improved sensor I guess.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques