DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Objections to Catholic weddings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/522266-objections-catholic-weddings.html)

Adrian Tan March 16th, 2014 03:21 PM

Objections to Catholic weddings

Something I'm curious about -- for a Catholic wedding, have you ever actually heard the priest say, "If anyone objects, let him speak now or forever hold his peace?" I don't think I ever have, except on TV.

Come to think of it -- "till death do us part". Not sure I've heard that line either. From memory, it's normally rephrased as something like, "as long as we both shall live".

Paul R Johnson March 16th, 2014 04:42 PM

Re: Objections to Catholic weddings

Catholic Wedding Help: Catholic wedding vows

It's in that one, and the objection bit was removed from the Catholic service in 1983 (according to wiki).

Don Bloom March 16th, 2014 05:24 PM

Never heard it at any wedding except once about 10 or 12 years ago as a joke because the priest was a close friend of both the B&G and he had a very wicked sense of humor. All the parents were in on it and they all stood as if to say they had objections. It was actually quite funny especially the looks on the B&Gs faces.

Chris Harding March 16th, 2014 07:07 PM

Never heard it say here either even at civil weddings ..in my old days of VHS Anglican priests used to say it and the un-nerving silence that followed was always scary!!! I should have keep my camera on the congregation at those times just in case someone stood up and said "Yes, I'm his wife, he is already married" .... !!

Civil ceremonies here do confirm to the couple that they are entitled to be married but no questions like in the old days are ever put to the guests.

Guess it was an old tradition where it actually did happen??? Script writers still use it as a gag and in an episode of "The Vicar of Dibley" in the UK ..the vicar does ask the question and gets someone stand up and announce she is the man's wife and he is already married ..after a few seconds she looks around and say "Oops sorry, wrong Church"

Wonder if UK Anglican Vicars still use the question???

Chris

Richard Gooderick March 17th, 2014 04:53 AM

They certainly used to say it in Church of England weddings dating back to when I was a choirboy 45 years ago. I have heard it said since then. I don't know if they still do.

I am reminded of being invited to the wedding of an ex girlfriend. I was late arriving at the church.

Rather than sneaking in through the door, hoping I would not be noticed, I remained outside until the service ended.

I did not want to risk entering at precisely the moment of silence referred to above!

Rob Cantwell March 17th, 2014 05:05 AM

lol
thought the thread title was a bit misleading!!!

anyway i think what the priest says around here is "what God has joined together, man must not separate"

and

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh Happy Saint Patrick's Day

:-)

Dave Partington March 17th, 2014 05:26 AM

Interesting. In the Church of England and in all Civil weddings in England they are required by law to say something like:

"If anyone present knows of any reason in law why these two persons many not marry they should declare it now"

But I just went back to the last two catholic weddings we covered and can't find any place where it's asked. Hmmm.....

Paul R Johnson March 17th, 2014 12:01 PM

I wonder why they removed it in 83? I suppose that if there is a reason (like already married) then the marriage would be null and void anyway, so if you asked them, they'd not be honest anyway.

I remember the CofE wording from when I was a chore boy - "If anyone know any just cause or impediment why these person should not be joined in Holy matrimony, you are to declare it now"

It's always been one of the heart stopping moments for TV dramas!

Finn Yarbrough March 17th, 2014 03:53 PM

I have heard it said that the meaning of that phrase was less about an old lover standing up to out the bride as a harlot, and more to put the whole congregations on the spot, as it were, as being active participants in the success of the couple's union. In other words, if you, guests family, loved ones, support their union now, you have to stand by them forever.

We had a similar statement read at our wedding--something to the effect that, as they all bore witness, they thereby joined with us in the acknowledgment of the sacredness of our matrimonial bond. aka, "speak now or forever hold your peace."

Chris Harding March 17th, 2014 06:52 PM

Catholic marriages here actually say the same thing without actually saying those words ...the parents having Catholic ceremonies is asked here "Do you support this marriage" and then the congregation is asked the same question so I guess that if they all support the union they are no objections!

Chris