DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   24 or 30? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/522274-24-30-a.html)

Jeremy Lee March 17th, 2014 09:25 AM

24 or 30?

I started filming weddings about two years ago and have been learning by trial and error as I go, When I first started I started shooting at 24 fps, but lately I am wondering what other wedding filmmakers are filming at. I use a 6D, 60D and EMOS all at 24 fps and 50 shutter speed and I am happy with my results but when I look at other films I feel like they are setting their camera slightly different. I would appreciate seeing what others here are using.
Thanks
JDL

Jeff Pulera March 17th, 2014 09:34 AM

Re: 24 or 30?

Hi Jeremy,

It really comes down to aesthetics - a personal preference for one look or another.

As you've probably figured out, you have to be careful when shooting 24p to avoid jerky pans and zooms. For many shooters, 30p is a compromise that avoids both the "video" look of interlaced and the jerky motion of 24p, while still looking somewhat like film (color grading plays a role in "the film look" as well).

Thanks

Rainer Listing March 17th, 2014 03:10 PM

The only reason ever to shoot 24p is if its going to film.

Nigel Barker March 18th, 2014 03:08 AM

A lot of nonsense is talked about 24p being less fluid motion than 30p. Which would mean that all us poor souls in PAL land who are obliged to use 25p would also suffer from only 4% less jerkiness than 24p.

Jeff Harper March 18th, 2014 07:16 AM

Jeremy, I would suggest you shoot an event using 30p rather than your normal 24p. It will help you to decide for yourself.

You might prefer 30p once you try it, you won't know without actually doing it.

I shot for 24p for a year but switched to 60i and am very glad I made the switch. It just works for me. I could change later back to 24p if my needs dictate it and I want a different look.

Jeremy Lee March 18th, 2014 09:48 AM

Thanks Jeff.. I have a project coming up so I plan to experiment shooting 30fps. Years ago when I was filming wedding with a Sony DSR-PD100A I will shoot with a shutter of 30 instead of the default and I really liked the look compared to straight out of the box video. Thanks for all the replies!
JDL

Jeff Harper March 18th, 2014 10:36 AM

Great! Keep us posted on what you think after trying 30p, love to hear how you feel about it after you've tried it.

Justin Molush March 18th, 2014 03:05 PM

You could play with 1/50th shutter in 29.97 then conform it into 23.976 timeline with a 20% slowdown... Its a trick Ive been using on a LOT of stuff to get a smoother look. Obviously during talking parts you bring it up to full speed, but it gives you some flexibility.

Finn Yarbrough March 18th, 2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Listing (Post 1837275)
The only reason ever to shoot 24p is if its going to film.

That's not true at all! That's like saying the only reason to shoot 60p is for slow motion.

Jeff is right, you just have to decide what look you like better. Also, your normal shutter speed is slower at 24, so you can eke a little more low light performance out of it. But the pans are a little tougher, too, especially if you're shooting pulldown instead of native.

Jeremy Lee March 18th, 2014 08:49 PM

Today I filmed my daughter playing on her jungle-gym at 30fps and a shutter speed of 60 so I could see how my footage compared. The only thing I didn't do was switch back over to 24fps so I could have a side by side. I have been filming at 24fps since I got my 60D back in 2011 and I am just now venturing past that frame rate. I don't feel like I did anything wrong, it is just that I want to explore a new look for me. I am grateful for all the input here for my simple question!

Rainer Listing March 18th, 2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough (Post 1837434)
That's not true at all!

I should qualify. It is, unless you're not doing it to get a "film look", e.g. saving space, bandwidth or low light. To clarify, some people shoot 24p under the misguided impression it will look like film, their reasoning being that film (generally) is shot at 24 fps. Although film is shot and shown at 24 fps, it's displayed differently: frame A, 1/96 sec, Black, 1/96 sec, frame A, 1/96th sec, black 1/96th (which adds up to 1/24th second for the frame), then frame B, and so on. This is where the film look comes from. 24p video can look like film, but only if you transfer it to film and show it with a film projector. Ordinary video technology isn't yet up to the task.
Some people seem to be under the delusion that 60p shown normal speed at 30p (which it typically is) looks smoother than original 30p footage shot at the same aperture and shutter speed. Of course there's no way it can be. Apologies if your intent was satirical.