Outputting an HD disk image file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Outputting an HD disk image file?

I outputted a DVD for a wedding client, and they asked me to send them the iso file as they have their computer hooked to their tv. I thought I might rebuild this file for HD viewing. What is the best way to go about that? Source files are 1920x1080, originally AVCHD, edited and output at QT full. I guess I"ll have to look at the menu dimensions, too.
What format do you usually deliver your wedding videos in?
.. thx in advance
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Outputting an HD disk image file?

Give them the .iso of the DVD that they want, and if you wish to give them an HD version, just make an .mp4 file then.

Thanks
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Jeff,
Not completely understanding that? I want the file to play just as a disk image would - the menu, the whole thing. I was thinking I would somehow re-output the files at an HD resolution and link them up to the Encore project?
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Trustee

The problem with what you want to do is that their software would now need to be a Blu-ray player instead of DVD player. DVDs are not HD and no DVD player software is expecting HD material or knows how to interpret Blu-ray menu systems. They are totally different beasts. Blu-ray players can typically play DVDs, but DVD players won't play Blu-ray.

Unless you know they can play Blu-rays on their PC (i.e. they have the right software) I'd skip over this idea and just give them the DVD ISO. If they want full HD use other options, maybe including (and I shudder when thinking this) perhaps Flash, since Encore can make you a flash file that plays just like Blu-ray (with some limitations).

In terms of being future proof, giving them HD files as MP4 as about as good as it gets. I wouldn't want my stuff locked up in Flash files.
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks...
I'm pretty sure they can play Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, I do not have a Blu-Ray burner at this time. I did send him an email asking him what format he wanted it in. I could author a Blu-Ray file, just can't burn it . Maybe Encore will output to a Blu-Ray disc image, I'll have to check.
Apparently they have a computer hooked up to their TV but he asked if the iso file was SD and I told him that yes, it was.
I could burn them one long file with chapters but that seems like kind of a bummer - no menu...

Flash option? Never thought of that. Hmm. Okay. I will have to re-output all my files, since they were exported from FCE downsized for SD, then encoded to Mpeg2. I can output full QT files, then what is the best approach to get HD files into the Encore project and re-link it? Mp4?

Then I can just give them the individual files as mp4 as a backup.

Ok am I on the right track here? Thanks so much for your input.
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
Thanks...
Maybe Encore will output to a Blu-Ray disc image
It will output a Blu-ray ISO just like it outputs DVD ISO files. We always make an ISO file first and then burn from the ISO so that we know we have a good image. When ever we are archiving a project the ISO file, case & disc label designs are also stored in what we call our 'deliverables' folder so that if they come back for more copies it's all ready to go and we never have to rebuild anything. Rebuilding at some future date cannot be relied upon if you have upgrade software in between.

Quote:
Flash option? Never thought of that. Hmm. Okay. I will have to re-output all my files, since they were exported from FCE downsized for SD, then encoded to Mpeg2. I can output full QT files, then what is the best approach to get HD files into the Encore project and re-link it? Mp4?
When we make both DVD and Blu-ray from the same project we export both SD and HD files, then build the project in Encore (HD first). Once done we tell Encore to replace the asset (right click on it if I remember correctly) and then just build the other version. You could do it the other way around too, but then you're also have to replace the menu with a higher res version whereas it's fairly happy down scaling from the HD version for DVD.

It's a long time since I exported a flash version (we never need it) but I seem to remember it was as simple as telling it "I want a flash version now" and it did it. as long as you don't do anything to esoteric with menus and DVD/Blu-ray features it should all fly.
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks,
Yeah the menu is pretty simple, just a modified psd template file and the basic matching chapter buttons.

I figured it was similar, just have never built a Blu-Ray or HD project before. Usually it's just a single file, outputted - so I wasn't sure how to author this.

Upon researching it, I'm surprised to find that Blu-Ray uses mpeg2 files. That should relink fairly easily.

One thing I'm not clear on is, if he wants a Flash output, I guess I go ahead and build an HD project for Blu-Ray, then tell it to do flash? That seems straightforward. I was thinking I would need a different codec for flash.

Do you do a lot of weddings? If so, what are you finding in terms of customer preference for a delivery format these days?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:47 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Do you do a lot of weddings? If so, what are you finding in terms of customer preference for a delivery format these days?
You need to take what ever anyone says in answer to this with caution because different parts of the world migrate to technologies differently.

Around here it's still very much DVD but I understand that some parts of the US it's migrating very much to Blu-ray in addition to DVD.

I think we'll skip Blu-ray for the vast majority of couples and it will remain DVD for some time too come with downloads being the main alternative. I've been delivering DVD + Download for 2+ years.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Upon researching it, I'm surprised to find that Blu-Ray uses mpeg2 files. That should relink fairly easily.
H264 is the preferred Blu-ray codec (it can use both) and you'll typically get better results from the same file size with H264.

You can relink either one within Encore.
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you everyone - It's been a few days since I've had a chance to drop in!
Good to know, thanks for all the information.
In the interest of simplicity, he decided to go with just the iso file. But ti's important to know this stuff because it will come up again.
I'm curious, how do you set up the 'download' situation? And what specifically do they usually download from you? An iso file?
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
I'm curious, how do you set up the 'download' situation? And what specifically do they usually download from you? An iso file?
There are lots of ways to do downloads, including drop box, yousendit etc.

We've used our own web server and put things in a password protected area with files stored outside of the main web folders so there is no direct link to the file possible via a URL. It's fairly simple PHP coding if you know how. If you don't then it's obviously much harder.

In terms of 'what' they can download, well that's up to you to decide. I've never actually given anyone ISO files but there's no reason you couldn't do that. The problem with ISO files is that all they can do with them is play then within disc player software or make discs (assuming they have a recorder and know how). They can't put it on an iPad, Android tablet etc, which is what a lot of people seem to want to do now. With this in mind I give them the MP4 files and let them move them where they want. Of course, they don't get menus, but if you really want some basic menus then you could include an HTML page for them to run with the tablet browser with a menu to play each of the files.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques