Do you protect your ears? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you protect your ears?

Silly question, you might think, but a while back I was the videographer for an Asian party, and the music levels were INSANE!!! I dont know if this is the norm (I have never done an Asian wedding but they seem pretty wild from what I have seen online!) Seriously, if I walked past the speakers it almost knocked me over. After 2 hours of shooting in this environment, I had the craziest ringing in my ears that lasted well over 24 hours, I actually thought I had permanent hearing damage! Thankfully it got better and I am back to normal now, but I know exposure to loud music can cause you hearing issues, so from now on I will be bringing ear plugs to all weddings!

Have any of you encountered painfully high music that caused you problems?
James Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Do you protect your ears?

Earplugs at receptions. Always. For me at least. I have a pack of them on hand. Some receptions are crazy loud especially when the DJs start yelling.

And as a side note, I always have to feel very badly for older wedding guests when the B&G seat them right next to the PA system. I actually consult a lot of my couples about considering that move differently.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:33 AM   #3
Major Player

After many years I gradually lost my hearing to less tan 40% and have to wear a hearing and also there is a constant high pitched ringing in both my ears that drives me insane if I stop to think about and listen for it. After every reception when I got home, it was like my hearing "volume" went on the low mode and gradually got back up in the morning, but my hearing ability gradually got reduced to the point that I could not hear my cell phone at 10 feet away. You definitely need to put on them earplugs.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I second and heartily agree with Arthur. I also didn't pay too much attention to loud noise at receptions and for the time I filmed rock bands on stage, loud noise was part of the excitement. After about ten years the ringing in my ears that I had for sometime days afterwards started to stay with me for longer and now like Arthur I have a permanent high pitched sound in my ears day and night - it's called tinitus - and my ability to hear high frequency sounds is greatly reduced especially if there is a deep bass sound present. This hearing loss is irreversible.
So my advice is ALWAYS use ear plugs of some description if you'll be in a loud noise environment.

Oh, and by the way Asian receptions are always VERY LOUD.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Major Player

I've seen photogs wear them. Thought about it myself. Myb I'll take the plunge and try em out this year. .
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What? I can't hear you! ;-)

You bet I protect my ears. After years of beating them up and NOT using protection at all times I started wearing my headphones about 20 years ago at all times at weddings. All times being ceremonies and receptions. Once the dancing starts I turn the monitor level down to 0 on them and just watch the bars but otherwise I use the headphones just for protection and while they are exactly great for that they do cut the noise down by probably about 80%. Of course I still have selective hearing according to my wife but that's more a function of being married for 45 years! ;-)
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

At my wedding last Saturday for the very first time I saw the DJ putting in ear plugs !! I guess if he does it then it's worth doing.

Must get myself a set I think ..headphones would get a little hot surely?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

This is an interesting topic, I'm thinking a good set of active noise cancelling over the ear headphones may be a good investment for this type of environments.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Trustee

I have tight fitting rubber earbuds in my ears, but I use them as ear plugs. My monitor level is zero during dancing.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Trustee

For any of us who came home and hear ringing in our ears, that is (often) permanent hearing loss - once that ringing goes away, you will never hear that frequency again. Unless, like Arthur, the damage was so traumatic that you get tinnitus (a kind of nerve damage). It's well worth it to wear ear plugs. (some drugs, like ibuprofren can cause a temporary and brief ringing our sound in ears, though, unrelated to hearing damage).

When I DJ I ALWAYS wear earplugs. I haven't when helping filming, because we don't usually film very much of the dance and weddings aren't usually so loud as to cause problems that early.

At weddings, the drug store style for $1.95 a bag will work, because it's still reducing the sound by 15dB, which is huge and at most weddings, should be enough to prevent damage, unless you stand right in front of the speakers for a long while (or if the DJ has it turned up to some ridiculous level).

When I work something really loud, like a school dance (or a concert), I wear a pair of custom made earplugs. They were made at a hearing aid shop and weren't very expensive, but cut out 36 dB, so I can't really hear what people are saying, even, but at least I keep my hearing.

Ironically, after DJ'ing for 16 years, most of my hearing loss wasn't from the job, but from sitting with my grandpa when he was on Hospice care. He would have the TV on max volume, and I'd sit with him so long, that the damage would happen. Worth it, though.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post

You bet I protect my ears. After years of beating them up and NOT using protection at all times I started wearing my headphones about 20 years ago at all times at weddings. All times being ceremonies and receptions. Once the dancing starts I turn the monitor level down to 0 on them and just watch the bars but otherwise I use the headphones just for protection and while they are exactly great for that they do cut the noise down by probably about 80%. Of course I still have selective hearing according to my wife but that's more a function of being married for 45 years! ;-)
That's good advice sensei. I should start doing that.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
For any of us who came home and hear ringing in our ears, that is (often) permanent hearing loss - once that ringing goes away, you will never hear that frequency again. Unless, like Arthur, the damage was so traumatic that you get tinnitus (a kind of nerve damage). It's well worth it to wear ear plugs. (some drugs, like ibuprofren can cause a temporary and brief ringing our sound in ears, though, unrelated to hearing damage).

When I DJ I ALWAYS wear earplugs. I haven't when helping filming, because we don't usually film very much of the dance and weddings aren't usually so loud as to cause problems that early.

At weddings, the drug store style for $1.95 a bag will work, because it's still reducing the sound by 15dB, which is huge and at most weddings, should be enough to prevent damage, unless you stand right in front of the speakers for a long while (or if the DJ has it turned up to some ridiculous level).

When I work something really loud, like a school dance (or a concert), I wear a pair of custom made earplugs. They were made at a hearing aid shop and weren't very expensive, but cut out 36 dB, so I can't really hear what people are saying, even, but at least I keep my hearing.

Ironically, after DJ'ing for 16 years, most of my hearing loss wasn't from the job, but from sitting with my grandpa when he was on Hospice care. He would have the TV on max volume, and I'd sit with him so long, that the damage would happen. Worth it, though.
Robert, That's a good idea. I went to Guitar Center and they've never heard of 'selective ear plugs'. I'd like to hear what people are saying but block the loud noise. I'll look around my area for a store.

And Don, I've been married less than you, it doesn't take long to get 'selective wife' hearing.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:48 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Robert, That's a good idea. I went to Guitar Center and they've never heard of 'selective ear plugs'. I'd like to hear what people are saying but block the loud noise. I'll look around my area for a store. .
The regular foam ear plugs at Walmart or the drug store, will cut out 5-15dB, which will make it easier to hear people talking to you, because the overall noise level is lower. It's part of what is called the 'cocktail party' effect. Your brain can usually filter out what you don't want to hear, but once it gets too loud, you have trouble. If you have hearing damage, you may notice it's harder to understand people if a room has a lot of ambient noise (other people talking). My hearing damage is bad enough that I find all the noise of a 'cocktail party' very frustrating and irritating, if I can't focus on my subject.

-----------
Robert
RNB Wedding Videos
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I use these. The HD ones provide even more protection.

EarPeace | The Best Ear Plugs for Loud Entertainment | Order Yours Now
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Major Player

Add me as another who now wishes he had used ear protection.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques