DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   More fun? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/522624-more-fun.html)

Tariq Peter April 6th, 2014 08:38 PM

More fun?

So we have all shot a lot of weddings and the template is set. We pretty much have an idea of how the final video will look and we will deliver what the client expects. That's all well and good but when was the last time somebody tried something different on a shoot. I find that we are all shooting to deliver what the client expects but I feel it's important that we challenge ourselves to try new ideas on weddings on each and every shoot before our work gets stale.

I am not referring to drones or slo motion booths but more in developing an individual style, I've seen a lot of the same old thing with videos and I'm trying to somehow break the mould in Muslim weddings. I'm thinking about what to do when brides and grooms sit for hours taking pictures on a stage, has any body found a good technique of talking with guests to get messages in a more original way? A Muslim wedding can sometimes be like filming a corporate event once the bride and groom are seated.

James Manford April 7th, 2014 03:12 AM

Re: More fun?

Are you talking about the long form edit ? Ive seen plenty of asian wedding trailers which look very different to traditional english wedding trailers.

Can you not just make the photo session sequence like a trailer or something to make it more enjoyable to watch i.e. focus on different ways to edit that sequence rather than filming it. As I can't see how you can get the time to film the group in a certain way because normally they would get up when the photographer asks and then run off as the picture is taken which gives you a short time to film them.

Robert Benda April 7th, 2014 05:55 AM

During family photos, I'll do some detail shots, or, we'll take VIPs off to a quiet space and do some small interviews. This focuses mostly on parents and grandparents, and asking them to tell stories about themselves, NOT necessarily the B&G. The idea is, on the DVD, I can put these stories there, not because of the wedding, but for in 5 or 15 years when they want to remember their Grandparents.

Chris Harding April 7th, 2014 06:13 AM

Hi Tariq

I do agree with you. I have only done a few Muslim weddings and apart from never being on time (so we run out of time) they tend to be quite formal, especially the women. I found the guys like to do fun photo poses but the girls seem very conservative. At Western weddings I do a stedicam shoot and get them to do fun stuff .. only one actually did a shoot with me out of all of them and then it was forbidden to show any display of affection in public so it does get very serious!! Even on the photography side they seemed very structured and just wanted tons of group photos but all very formal ...I couldn't see them clambering up a rock or suchlike for a shoot but my last group actually did manage to jump up in the air and all say "Yay" .... for video they just wanted a lot of footage of things I was allowed to film and no footage of stuff I wasn't so it seemed very restricted to me overall.

Maybe that's the culture?? so you have to abide by it??

Chris

Robert Benda April 7th, 2014 08:32 AM

Do you have anymore luck during the less formal parts of the day?

A lot of the best material we get tends to be off the cuff moments, especially when they're getting ready. It's why we have the cameras rolling so much (and like being there during prep) - we're looking for just a couple of clips where their personality really comes through. Sometimes you get that during the speeches, later, or a first look and pictures, especially if the coupe really trusts you or the photog.