iriver or what? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Well I just got back and went to order the giant squid mic's and I cant find the gentlemens phone number. I wrote him an e-mail with my order and asked him to call back but like always its crunch time as the rehersal is friday. Anybody have Darrens number? Thanks TAG
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Major Player

Darren's number: 1-989-753-1607
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #18
Wrangler

If you're worried about getting it in time, you could borrow mine for the shoot. :)

Your location looks like either California or Nevada. If I popped it in today's mail you'd have it in two days.
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Lorinda that was a very kind offer. And thanks Mark for the number. I did receive the mic's today and went down south monday and picked up the 795's. All systems go for now, I'm striping tapes as we speek. I shot the Love story interviews last night and found I need a shotgun mike and a portable light source, possibly a small soft box. Seems like I'm always wanting something, maby a XL2 hd next month ( boy now I'm dreaming). Thanks again for all the help and support. TAG
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #20
New Boot

on the giant squid site they list a right angle adapter. is this something i will need? im purchasing 3 iriver 790's, and three giant squids. one i will get in white, also what does everyone recomend for the cord size????
thnx
Dan Trojanowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:03 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey John, I did go to B&h's site and downloaded the spec's of the MT. It looked awesom and definately would like a couple of those in my bag. Right now cost was a factor and I needed two so I thought I would give the irivers a try as I could afford them. I usually lean toward professional gear so this feels a little awkward. Thank you though as that was what I was looking for in my origional post. Thanks again TAG
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #22
Major Player

Overstock.com has the 895T IRiver for $79

Just a FYI..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
Overstock.com has the 895T IRiver for $79
Hmmm.... they don't seem to have this. Got a link perhaps?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #24
Major Player

this iriver thing has me intrigued. So far the only reasonable gripe I've heard is the inability to monitor the audio. (other than synching in post which is really no big deal). If one were placed on the groom and the other on the minister it sounds like a backup is in place.

It'd sure be nice not to have to worry about all the potential problems with wireless mics - not to mention the cost.
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Hmmm.... they don't seem to have this. Got a link perhaps?
My bad... 890T not 895T

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1534173

Also
899 for $154
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1652767
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #26
Trustee

It looks like the 800 and 700 series of Iriver may be cancelled per Iriveramerica.com. It looks like the T30 series may be the new model. It uses a AAA battery instead of a AA and it does not seem to have FM radio. It looks like a small 700 series without the FM radio. The mic and headphone plugs are both on one side like the 700. The good thing is that it is a few dollars cheaper and should be quite small with a AAA battery. The bad thing is that the battery probably won't last as long.

Get the 795/799 for Christmas if that is the model you like! They aren't available at Iriver's site anymore, but many online retailers seem to have them still. The T30s are $149 and $99 respectively at Iriver's site for the 1GB/512K models.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:26 AM   #27
Major Player

I have heard that the "T" series does NOT have mic input, so be careful before you buy one of those.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:26 AM   #28
Trustee

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...roducts_id=760

I just confirmed that it does have line-in and a built-in mic. It does not have FM. The user reviews say it has great quality audio, but they do not mention recording. The site review says it has line-in as well as the spec. page. They also say that it is the replacement for the 700 and 800 series, as I suspected from looking at iriver's site. I just wish that iriver would come out and say it.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:21 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
The user reviews say it has great quality audio, but they do not mention recording.
I wondered the same thing but couldn't find anything so I emailed Darren at "Giant Squid":
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm

He assembles jacks/cables/lav mics and one specifically for the iRiver that keeps it recording in mono mode. (thereby doubling the recording capacity).

Darren said that "he had heard" that the "T" series was not very good for voice recording. I'm trying to be careful because again, he said it's what "he heard" and I assume he has no first-hand knowledge.

Not willing to take a chance I found a couple of new 895's for $100 each and ordered two lav mics from Darren. I've decided to use these for now and add a wireless system down the road (which I can't afford for now).

It seems there's a lot of ultra-compact MP3 players out there with an external mic jack that might work as well and I'm just wondering how many folks really use them for this purpose.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM   #30
Major Player

Marcus ,that is correct.However the "T" series doesn't have the ability for mic level input.
Only line level.The built in mic is not great.
The 700 and 800 series DOES have mic level input.
Rick ,good choice.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques