How many weddings do you do a year? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 30th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: How many weddings do you do a year?

I probably average 35 per season which is September to May over here!

Then again I'm lazy and I don't think I would want to hit the 67 mark like Don ... I prefer to do just one a weekend. Doing Friday/Saturday/Sunday is a real killer and I have to spend Monday and Tuesday in recovery mode!!

Over here we also for tax purposes have a ceiling of $75K turnover for each business. Keeping your turnover below the threshold means you don't need to charge Sales tax and that kills a LOT of paperwork plus making $75K works out neatly for paying tax too! Cos I'm an old bugger, I get lots of tax rebates so I can earn via the business up to $53K net without paying any tax at all and that, on paper, is quite feasible as a net income after business expenses which we can squeeze in at around $20K ..if I earned any more I'd have to pay the tax office for wedding income.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:20 AM   #17
Regular Crew

My body says I do to many weddings.

My bank account says I need to do more.

I suppose, less jobs at a higher rate would be the ideal place to be. But that is a plan I am still working on.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Haven't gotten my company to a large number yet, but I'd probably want to do at the most 24. 2 a month would be fine for me.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:41 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brady View Post
My body says I do to many weddings.

My bank account says I need to do more.

I suppose, less jobs at a higher rate would be the ideal place to be. But that is a plan I am still working on.
Very funny :)
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:08 PM   #20
Major Player

How about more of the low priced easy ones that don't take a toll on your body, like just the ceremony and reception part. No Bridal prep. no baby pictures, no honeymoon pictures, no interviews, no re-cap and minimal equipment to schlep around. Do more for less = do less for more. The higher they pay the more they nit pik, the more they nit pick the more you work. They can't expect a lobster dinner for the price of a hot dog.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Arthur

I used to do the "I will film your limo lights going off into the distance when you depart at midnight" and seriously by the time you get packed and home it's 1am or later and you are now wide awake so you end up going to bed at 3am and the next morning you feel awful!

A few years back I cut all my packages from "right to the end" to "end of the first dance" and it makes such a massive difference to the toll on your body...I most finish around the 9:30pm mark so I'm home "normal" time not crazy time and it makes a HUGE difference to the battering your body takes!

There isn't very much a video guy can film once the dancing starts apart from the bouquet toss/garter and maybe an exit arch or farewell circle and most brides are happy to not have that filmed.

You still make money but work a lot less and less stress too. My most popular package is what I call my "Essentials Package" which runs from ceremony to end of first dance and it saves my body!

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:31 PM   #22
Major Player

Chris, I went farther than that. How about some weddings I did that the couple wanted me to follow them to the airport and capturing them waving goodbye at the departure gate followed by the jet taking off to a very slow fade. This scene was usually done the morning after the wedding as they usually booked a hotel before departure and I would either meet them at the hotel or the airport. But there was one that was the coup d'etat. the one that takes the cake. Not only was the departure captured, but also when the plane came in from their honeymoon and they were at the arrival gate with sombrero hats waving again. Honeymoon photos were inserted between with Mexican music to the tune of " La Cucaracha".
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:59 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hey Arthur

OK, you win hands down on that one! It's a wonder they didn't want the honeymoon filmed too!!

I just find that 6 hours on your feet is a lot better than 10 or 12 and the last bit is boring too!! I actually don't mind doing prep but it's the end bit I don't like ..maybe I'm getting too old??

I still advertise right to the end as an extra but it's very overpriced for that last 3 hours so few, if any, brides take it thank goodness!!

Chris
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #24
Regular Crew

My primary work is wedding photography. I have 41 weddings on the books for 2014. Last year I did 37. When a couple wants to add video, I bring my wife along and she keeps one camera tight on the couple. I set up a second camera angle that just sits there getting wide angles. Occasionally I get a last minute video only request and I sometimes shoot that by myself.

This year we will do about 15 wedding videos.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques