Why do brides value photos more than video? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 9th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Why do brides value photos more than video?

I recently saw a video posted by a Belgian bride on her photoblog, she was a professional wedding photographer and hired a videographer form the states to cover her wedding, won't mention his name but it was a team of 2 persons and the resulting video was very "artsy fartsy", it was visually very creative, not documentary at all, for me it didn't show how the day felt, it looked more like a photoshoot in motion (they did the photoshoot when it was dark in a forest with a very bright and big light spot to create big light contrasts)
It must have cost an arm and a leg to get those guys from across the ocean and it was also the first time I saw a weddingvideo from a Belgian bride investing that much to get exactly the style she wanted.
That is a very big exception over here, if all brides where like that wedding video business would be booming and you could charge accordingly. Unfortunately not happening.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #47
Inner Circle

George

Sadly you have to not only delete the cache but also all your cookies ..then it works.

Now what happens to me is that the "remember me" part never works so I have to log in each and every time ..big pain if I need to post!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I recently saw a video posted by a Belgian bride on her photoblog, she was a professional wedding photographer and hired a videographer form the states to cover her wedding, won't mention his name but it was a team of 2 persons and the resulting video was very "artsy fartsy", it was visually very creative, not documentary at all, for me it didn't show how the day felt, it looked more like a photoshoot in motion (they did the photoshoot when it was dark in a forest with a very bright and big light spot to create big light contrasts)
It must have cost an arm and a leg to get those guys from across the ocean and it was also the first time I saw a weddingvideo from a Belgian bride investing that much to get exactly the style she wanted.
That is a very big exception over here, if all brides where like that wedding video business would be booming and you could charge accordingly. Unfortunately not happening.
Both this case & Adrian's previous post about the Filipino nurse hiring Jason Magbanua are part of a modern trend for people who want to appear in a high quality music video. It's almost irrelevant that a wedding is involved although that is the hook on which the video hangs. It's a fantasy fulfilment thing that is far far away from documenting the wedding day unfolding. There is someone who posts on this board (name escapes me for the moment) who shoots engagement videos with a Red that would be in the same genre.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #49
Major Player

"It's a fantasy fulfillment thing that is far far away from documenting the wedding day unfolding."

Nigel, that's a fantastic explanation of cinematic vs. doc style. It really gets to the heart or purpose behind the two different styles. I've tried to express that difference to people myself, but my explanation always came out more convoluted. Since I named my company "True View", it's not hard to guess which style I prefer. Sure, it's okay in my book to get a little creative on a short highlight. But I wouldn't want to go too far. I feel we should be focused on "their wedding." I suspect that some cinematographers have fantasy fulfillment wishes of their own and independent filmmakers should just come out into the open and either write their screenplays or team up with a screenwriter.

It might be natural that brides with a fantasy fulfillment thing hook up with those cinematographers if they can afford them. Too often, those brides of more meager means try to fulfill the wish with a Bollywood wannabe that fits their budget. Some of them starting out do have real talent, and the bride lucks out. But there are also those disaster wedding videos starting to go viral and even make the broadcast news.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques