Any camcorders out there with shallow DOF? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 8th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Any camcorders out there with shallow DOF?

I was absolutely delighted when the EA-50 came out... here was a video camera with a shoulder mount and everything that a video camera needs (and more actually) but it shot like a DSLR without the hassles of a DSLR!

I tried DSLR's when the hacked GH1's came out and never could get to grips with the tiny form factor and limitations. The fact that with a simple adapter I can use the entire range of my Nikon still lenses too so I can buy lenses that will not only shine with my Nikons but also with my Sony's is also a huge asset for me .. Pete uses Canons and Metabones make a speedbooster too for the camera !!

It was a stroke of genius from Sony to design this hybrid and at an affordable price too!!! With the right adapter you can also use vintage glass (really top stuff) from ebay for a bargain price and get outstanding results.

If you want a handheld camera then the shoulder pad simply slides under the camera (I keep mine out!)
One small word of warning though ... it IS front heavy especially with a big fast lens hooked on so if you are shooting hand held it's quite tiring! I use a support rod under the lens to sort this out ... details are on the EA-50 forum here and it solves all weight issues.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The EA50 looks like a really great option, somehow I've missed it. Appears to be an amazing value. Just looked it over and it appears to be a tremendous camcorder.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Major Player

But the EA50's stock lens is awfully slow… 3.5 to 6.3...
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Didn't catch that. That is very slooow. I think I did look at the camera when it came out, possibly, and ruled it out because of the slowness of the stock lens. That seems like years ago, maybe it was a different camera...
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Once you use the stock lens, yes it's not the brightest penny in the pile but I will say that 99% of Church weddings I have done have been on the stock lens and I had no issues. In most Churches even zoomed up F4 or F4.5 isn't too shabby! Then again if you are a "shoot from the back guy" then yes it will be too slow but then again I wouldn't like to have to play with tiny DOF at long distances in a Church anyway!

It's perfectly usable up to say 50mm zoom in a Church. At receptions on goes my Sigma F1.8 18-35 and even dim venues look like the sun has come in so you are certainly not stuck with a slow lens. Just for interest the EA-50 is available as the "K" model which excludes the lens so then all you need is the adapter of your choice and your own lenses

Chris
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Sorry I haven't posted much but since the server crash here I can only access the newest topic in the weddings forum, not anything else!!

Chris
Chris ~

Have you cleared your browser cache and deleted your cookies? Gave me my access back :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris

All fine now. I just forgot to re-enable cookies so I ended up having to log in each visit which was a pain but everything is 100% sorted now thanks

Chris
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #23
Major Player

Lots of good cams mentioned previously. I too was in this boat... technically I'm still in this boat, but I've found a temp stop gap solution to get me by for a while.

For a while, I've been debating between a Canon C100 and Sony FS100, but over time, I think I've got the C100 more in my mind. Mostly because I'm seeing a trend in a lot more outdoor weddings in my area, and I really need NDs and the fact that the C100 has them built in is pretty nice.

Right now, the EA50 (one I had considered) is $2,725 which is a great price, but for me, it's too big, and I'm really trying to downsize some and bring less with me to gigs. Lugging in lots of bags and cases and tripods use to not bother me a bit, but these days, I'm trying to be more efficient.

Ea50 | B&H Photo Video

I'm going to see how the rest of this season goes and maybe by next year I'll get a new camcorder.

In the meantime, I've been using my Nikon V1 mirrorless camera with the FT-1 adapter and my F2.8 lenses and have been more than satisfied with the video quality out of it for wedding work. It 100% meets my needs to shallow DOF shots when I need them (which is typically just a few for eye candy and slider shots etc)... so for a base price of $300 for the camera, I'm 100% satisfied with that solution.
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #24
Trustee

Will any or all of these camcorders record AND send a live signal out on HDMI for live streaming?
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Robert

Most decent pro video cameras will have an HDMI out plus a composite out as well so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The EA-50 as an example has HDMI or Component output as 1080p or 1080i, 720p or 720i and also 480p and 480i

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques