How many of you pay commission to get a job? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 14th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: How many of you pay commission to get a job?

10% more or less but no more than 15%
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #17
Major Player

Those that pay out the ridiculous high percentage rates are those that have very little bookings and are starving for work. I know a few saps here that do just that, one gave $400 to a venue manager to get a cheap booking of $1200. I personally know the manager and we had a discussion over that one recently. There are venues here that charge $20,000, yes 20 thousand for one to be a house videographer, but wait..it get's better. There may be another 2 or 3 videographers that are ALSO house there too. It is not uncommon for a very popular venue to have 3 house photographers with NO guarantee of minimum bookings. One might pay out the 20 grand only to have less than a dozen bookings there. I know, I freelanced for a studio that did only 15 photo and 9 video jobs there. Like Ripley would say " Believe it or Not"
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #18
Major Player

There is also the question of 'Do you want to be tied to a venue?'

The common practice here in the UK is if you pay to be in the venues brochure they give to couples (really you and the other suppliers are paying for their brochure) then you get to be recommended. One photographer I was speaking to who had a 2 page spread in the venue brochure gets 70 jobs at this one venue a year.

Great, he's busy but man, Can you imagine filming at the same venue EVERY TIME! It meant all his photos on his website were all identical, just different people. He also operated pretty much on autopilot and saints preserve the video guy who messed up his workflow.
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #19
Major Player

With 70 jobs a year at the same venue, I would not mind at all as I would do the cookie cutter method and have a routine worked out like no other. Eliminates stress as I would know where all the best places to shoot, lighting situation, perhaps even have my own dedicated parking spot. Part of that routine is laughing on my way to the bank. I already do almost that many gigs a year and the traveling to different venues kills me, especially when they are a few hours drive away. Man, that would be a blessing.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #20
New Boot

I pay 10% if necessary, never been asked for more. I'm very happy to pay it since the clients and events are very high end.
John Summerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #21
Major Player

This is clearly an ugly side to the business... I would hope my work got me the jobs, rather than anything else... I would go as far as to say that I would refuse. I don't see why a commission should be paid, but then I wouldn't want them to recommend me unless they wanted to for the quality.

Naive maybe, but I'm not part of the business yet.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques