Passing wedding video jobs on at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 17th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #1
Trustee

Passing wedding video jobs on

Hey guys we are so busy that I have made a contact with a couple wedding video guys that are decent in the area as we have a lot of clients coming through our wedding shop and we like to keep them happy. So when we are booked on the date I can now pass them on rather than just ignore the brides! It does work passing back as these guys have now introduced clients to me for next year as they are busy that day. So it does go to show being nice in the industry to your competition does in fact in the end work!
Anyone else refers competition? Does it work for you? Or in the end do they stalk your work stalk you and then rip you of?
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Passing wedding video jobs on

Us photogs have been doing it for years and yes its solid :- ) Its also useful in a couple of other ways 1) you can discuss issues and get genuine feedback rather than guru crap and 2) you can find yourself shooting alongside others where a 2nd is required and its interesting to see how others work.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Cool peter nice!!
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I refer both video and photo jobs if I'm already booked and of course it pays off as the other person will do the same for you. I think however it's important to make sure that they have a similar price structure and coverage as you and possibily style too so the bride still gets what she is looking for.

Works well for us and no bad feedback either

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Great point Chris...
Old May 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #6
Major Player

We had a similar situation.

We use Tave for our bookings. EVERY lead goes into it automatically and when we close a job for whatever reason we always log it i.e already booked, unavailable for whatever reason, gone stale or exceeded budget.

We pulled up a report a year or so ago and were taken back just how much work we turn away from being booked or how many were on a small budget.

We've always referred others and those we do often thank us for filling their books. So we took that data and had a decision. Do nothing or see if we can make more money.

So with a little bit of investment we took the leap and launched A Hint of Mint Ltd | Wedding Video / Films | Wedding Videographer based near London UK so now we refer the work to ourselves. We still have plenty to hand over to others as some dates you could just sell a million times over.
Old May 18th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #7
New Boot

I have a couple of people I refer filled dates to, as long as it's reciprocated, it can only be a win-win situation.
Old May 18th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
We had a similar situation.

We use Tave for our bookings. EVERY lead goes into it automatically and when we close a job for whatever reason we always log it i.e already booked, unavailable for whatever reason, gone stale or exceeded budget.

We pulled up a report a year or so ago and were taken back just how much work we turn away from being booked or how many were on a small budget.

We've always referred others and those we do often thank us for filling their books. So we took that data and had a decision. Do nothing or see if we can make more money.

So with a little bit of investment we took the leap and launched A Hint of Mint Ltd | Wedding Video / Films | Wedding Videographer based near London UK so now we refer the work to ourselves. We still have plenty to hand over to others as some dates you could just sell a million times over.
Nice one Danny mate
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I have one guy not too far away that I refer work on to - he does the same for me too!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
so now we refer the work to ourselves.
So that means you hired extra people to take on those double bookings? Why did you have to start a other company for that, could you not just hire or employ an extra videographer to cope with the double bookings and handle it through your current company?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #11
New Boot

If you both get one extra booking from referring, it's got to be worth it.
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
So that means you hired extra people to take on those double bookings? Why did you have to start a other company for that, could you not just hire or employ an extra videographer to cope with the double bookings and handle it through your current company?
Setting up another company also allows you to have different pricing structures and also means you're not having to deal with who is expected to turn up (see other threads on here about that!).

It also gives you two entires in google etc etc.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Setting up another company also allows you to have different pricing structures and also means you're not having to deal with who is expected to turn up (see other threads on here about that!).

It also gives you two entires in google etc etc.
Bingo! We also upgraded our gear to c100 and handed down the old gear. They also don't get steadicam. The final packaging is cheaper, product is less bespoke and all aimed at keeping the initial cost down.

We were turning people away as we were booked but also loosing some due to price. So the new studio model was to capture those people. It also acts as a training ground to bring people upto a certain spec to bring into the MintySlippers brand.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Ah, I see, thx Danny for explaining and sharing. Great if you are looking for ways to expand your business. Only if you don't have any expanding plans just referring clients to other videographers in the hope you can get the same referrals back seems like a great way to fill any empty weekends you still might have.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques