The Quickdraw Lens Belt - Opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 20th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #1
Major Player

The Quickdraw Lens Belt - Opinions?

I remember seeing this a year or more ago. It was a kickstarter campaign, and as a result it is still a very basic 'company' which tends to manufacture in batches, sell to pre-order, then reinvest in more manufacture.

You can only pre-order at the minute.

I have to say, since changing my shooting style lately, I am switching lenses quite regularly during a shoot. The concept of this belt seems perfect!

But I do wonder how often I would accidentally knock the lenses against door frames etc...

Anyone else tempted?

Should I just get a belt holder with lens pouches?

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The Quickdraw Lens Belt - Opinions?

He seems to conveniently forget to mention the lens bag such as the shootsac.

Ours is invaluable. Holds lenses, bottle of water, memory cards, business cards and the all important mobile phone :) Same concept, remove, bag, attach.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That Shootsac lens bag is hellish expensive though - $179 and then add UK import tax and post office charge!

I swap lenses a lot during the day and am looking for a similar solution but I haven't found anything yet that can accommodate a lens plus attached hood. I don't like over the shoulder bags as they get in the way - I would love a belt type solution.

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; May 20th, 2014 at 04:45 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #4
Major Player

I swap lenses a lot during the day and am looking for a similar solution but I haven't found anything yet that can accommodate a lens plus attached hood. I don't like over the shoulder bags as they get in the way - I would love a belt type solution

Think Tank have two belt pouches that can take a 70-200 f2.8L IS with or without the hood.

The Lens Changer 75 Pop Down:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-L.../dp/B0069S2NH0

And the Skin 75 Pop Down:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-S.../dp/B0069S2HLW

I have 1 of the former and 2 of the latter :- )

If you don't need them to be long enough to accommodate the hood you just use a clever zip function to shorten them. Both pouches can go on a belt or you can attach any normal shoulder straps.

Its good practice to put the rear lens cap on when you can because otherwise dirt can easily transfer into the cam body. The front element is not nearly so important - it can take a lot of grime before anything shows up.

Both have front pockets as well - handy for lens caps and stuff.

The Lens Changer 50 is shorter but will still take a 24-105 f4L IS with hood attached:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-L...hink+tank+lens

All these are unpadded so they are not bulky and allow you to move around in crowds without catching on people and furniture.

I don't like the system Clive has linked to or similar products at all. A hood would be easily dislodged for starters and we all know how much of a racket they make when they hit the floor during a ceremony!

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
That Shootsac lens bag is hellish expensive though - $179 and then add UK import tax and post office charge!

I swap lenses a lot during the day and am looking for a similar solution but I haven't found anything yet that can accommodate a lens plus attached hood. I don't like over the shoulder bags as they get in the way - I would love a belt type solution.

Pete
I can assure you, its worth it. Build quality is exceptional, its uses are numerous and unlike all the other lens bags I've seen it doesn't stick out a mile when you have the 70-200 in it.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:28 PM   #6
New Boot

Looks great. I was using the Lowe Pro Deluxe Utility belt with the sliplock lens cases but I found it just too awkward to use at weddings, having to unzip and swap. This looks very streamlined.

John Summerfield
Summerfield Films | Toronto Wedding Videography

Last edited by John Summerfield; May 22nd, 2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: duplication
John Summerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Currently I'm a stasher I'm afraid!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Currently a bagger - Billingham Hadley Pro & the Billingham Hadley Digital.

I honestly think the way the Billingham stores lenses is fantastic, although I'll admit to finding it a little slower than what is displayed here. Ultimately though, when I 'bag it' I know that it's safe, cushioned and available should I need it again.

The belt clip thing worries me because I might drop my lens - a cost I cannot afford and I may bash my lenses - quite possible on a shoot when you're rushing - nobody is ever going to walk around as calm and as confident as he/she displays in the video.

As suggested by others, the shootsac interests me the most - but I still dislike the idea of leaving a lens without a body cap - no matter the protection that the bag offers in terms of ridding dust.

So that's why I went Billingham - I can live with a slower workflow if all my gear is safe and comfortable. I'm going to be shooting two bodies from now on, so I can have the 25 f1.4 on one body, with the 75 f1.8 on the other. I may leave the 12mm on the OM-D (my third body) for any steady cam stuff that will eventually fall into my workflow. Otherwise, I think I'm pretty set swapping bodies, rather than lenses - even if that means sorting settings.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Odd. I went to their website and they are only taking backorders with scheduled batches (which made sense to me). But then when I went through the order process, it said "out of stock" (not taking orders) which seemed to be a red flag.

Would love to hear if others have better luck. (This is regarding the original post for Quickdraw Lens Belt).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques