Average price of video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Average price of video

Had to leave a comment because I disagreed as well. No way it's that high. Must of asked some of their vendor friends lol.
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Long story short my friends (bride/groom) hired a company for $900 although as a gift I had a buddy shoot it as I attended and later I would edit it. Next to my buddy the company shooter looked like a joke. A guy with a Vixia on the end of a long broom stick pole (no joke), with camera mount duck taped to it. He would just hold it up in one spot throughout everything. I could'nt believe my friends hired this company. Did they bother to look at their work? Geez its all about the money and "fake" reviews.
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Technically Sean they have supplied a wedding video...Hmm maybe a GoPro on a piece of PVC pipe would work for me and save a fortune in Pro Cameras?? On our local talk-back radio last night they were talking about "pop up weddings" being offered by a venue. You get a one hour slot and they provide the officiant, cake, bouquet, flowers and photographer for $1000 .. I would assume that video would have no part in these but if they did it would be a camera on a stick too. It wouldn't exactly be a classy wedding would it??

Prices vary a huge amount ...obviously a posh hotel and church would expect to pay for a higher priced video whereas a country self catered wedding bride at home is not looking to pay $5K for a video!

A median price would have to also be specified for an area too as the median price in a rural area is going to be way lower than a wedding in LA.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Chris, this is the video they released of my friends wedding:

Well my thoughts are, if this is what people think of when thinking wedding video, then I don't blame people for not wanting to spend a fortune. I had a friend think exactly this until I made her watch something I edited, she was blown away and hired someone a week later.
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Sean

You make your point!! I cannot imagine a ceremony without any vows audio! Where is the sense in that!

No wonder brides say "we won't bother with a wedding video" ... not that bride's tend to be too fussy about quality but I reckon I could have done better with a Gopro purely for clarity ...Probably a guest with a cell phone would have done a better job.

Videos like this just do damage to the industry and after seeing that people think that's what all wedding videos look like so they pass on it!!

Thanks for sharing

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #21
Major Player

I think it's a bit unfair to post someones video on here without their knowledge or permission just to have it criticised and mocked without any sort of context or right of reply by the unsuspecting videographer.
Not very professional especially when members value and try to protect copyright and usage of their work.
The place to make comments if you need to is on his youtube channel where the person can defend his work and style if he feels it's necessary.

Last edited by George Kilroy; June 11th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #22
Inner Circle

There is no copyright infringement as the video has not been posted here on this forum as all that has been posted is a link to where the video IS posted i.e. YouTube. It was posted in the public domain so is not some private video that has been uploaded.

I also don't see that discussion here amongst us video guys is unprofessional at all. The point being made was that there are some crap videos produced by alleged professionals so why shouldn't an example of a crap video be linked to?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #23
Major Player

It's no just a link, it's been embedded so that it's plain to see it playing on this site but it isn't the copyright situation that I am concerned about it's the way that someone has grabbed someones work without as far as I'm aware telling them purely to pillory them because they don't do it the way the poster thinks it correct, or doesn't charge a price he thinks is acceptable, and as far as I know the videographer is not in this forum to reply to any criticism, though I may be wrong.

I realise that by posting work on youtube (or anywhere on the internet including your own site) you by default, or at least by common practice, loose any copyright control . My point about copyright and use is rather to suggest that anyone here might well be annoyed if they found that their work had been taken into someone else's site to be singled out for a beating without them knowing.

We all have opinions on the quality of other work we see and the concerns about the way 'professional' video is described and priced but I don't think that a professional forum is the place for personal attacks on someone's work who hasn't offered it into this forum for that purpose.

For what it's worth I don't think it's too bad if that's what the couple wanted and felt it value for what they paid. Its not my style or taste, but then I wasn't asked to do it.
Not everyone making wedding videos aspires to be the likes of Still Motion, nor does every couple expect that.
It is noticeable that the person who posted that video on here is not so forthcoming with allowing his work to be seen and commented on so that it'd be possible to see the stand from which he is criticising.

Last edited by George Kilroy; June 12th, 2014 at 12:08 AM.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques