Quick Poll - Charging for mileage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Quick Poll - Charging for mileage

Hi folks - just wondering how you calculate you charge for weddings 'outside your area' Currently my prices include a 2 hour round trip and I charge £xx for each extra hour of travel - it equates to about half what I would charge for extra filming or editing time.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Quick Poll - Charging for mileage

If they're booking our full day package, mileage (generally $1 a mile one way) may include hotel room for one or both nights. If we have to start at 9am at a location 2.5 hours away....
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

I just do a lump sum calculation for them which includes travel time, mileage and hotel accommodation in one extra price. We have it quite easy for costing as there is pretty much nothing between our local area for area (60km radius of city) and our South West (250km away) All our SW venues are also bunched together on a peninsular so we can cost a blanket rate for that area. Within our local area mileage is included of course and we don't need to sleep over.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Major Player

90 miles included in the price. Outside of that they get sent our next tier of pricing which covers greater distance and gives us the option of an overnight stay.

The cost visible to the couple is all bundled together so they can't see the travel charge. We do this so there is no negotiating or discussion. We've had it in the past where they try and save the cost by offering to give us lifts with the best man or something. So by not breaking it down there is nothing they can 'shave' off.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #5
New Boot

I just charge a flat rate to all of my locations which can be from 15 minutes to 5 hours away and overnight. I net more with local shoots, but am grateful to have the others even if it means higher expenses. I work around 18-20 days per month and am booked solid until October where if I could I would hire an assistant.

My situation might be slightly different, but the clients like a nice simple flat rate and for us to take credit cards. There are more expenses when I overnight, but use Hotwire to book rooms on the cheap and use bonus points for free nights. I drive an efficient car which gets 30 mpg on the highway to limit fuel expenses. I also take credit cards and do not charge a processing fee. I absorb the $15 day for CCs it costs the company, but we bill $575 per day or $10k-$11k per month. It's a decent living. Keep it simple.
Nick Danaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Major Player

I would know at time of booking what is involved as far as travel expenses, tolls and accomodations as well as parking arrangements would be and charge accordingly. If it is a local as 90% are , then I just ignore charging extras unless something unexpected sneaks up in which case I get a receipt and have that settled when they are back from their honeymoon. A small thing like parking less than $20 or/and travel gas less than $20, I would not even bother to bring that up. Makes me look cheap.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I believe that your quote should take this into consideration. This is also why you shouldn't have a flat rate and should quote per job. If you don't charge for mileage for a venue that is 2 hours away, you are losing money in terms of travel fees and the time it takes to get there.

I agree you should not itemize your travel costs but I think it should be included in the quote. Otherwise, you're only hurting yourself and your business.
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM   #8
New Boot

I offset my automobile expenses by getting compensated $0.56 per mile back from the company tax free. By driving an efficient vehicle I net about $700-$1000 per month based on 1k miles per week. More than covers fuel, tires and depreciation.

I also have one client with 44 locations, so things for us are slightly different.

If you are working on a tighter budget then add a fee for overnight, but I would avoid several line item charges because it's bad PR. Most people do not like lots of variable expenses in the budgets. They want predictable expenses and transparent billing. It is less work to reconcile and are not as likely to question expenses. When they get that they are not reluctant to spend and generally order more work and take a longer contract.

Don't make your bill look like a home mortgage closing.
Nick Danaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I stopped charging mileage, Belgium is not so big but the number of booking I got from the other side of the country after removing mileage cost have quadrupled, those couples used to pay up to 10% extra just to get me there, then I just raised my prices by 10% (I raise my prizes every year anyway) and say mileage costs are not charged, since everyone pays the same now no matter where they live I got clients from all over the country where it used to be only up to halfway the country. It often means much longer days due to long driving distances (max 2 hours in one direction) but I get my year much easier fully booked then I used to.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Major Player

I would definitely charge for mileage.

But I haven't traveled more than 30 minutes for a wedding in years.

I do have a blurb about Travel Fees though for destination weddings etc for Food/Meals and Lodging etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques