cropped body and lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

cropped body and lenses

I understand the concept you get a lens based of what it really is after factoring in the crop factor. My question is, if I get a 30mm wide angle lens to get as close as possible 50mm on my 70d, will the fact that its a wide angle lens distort the image at all? Or if I put that 30mm on the 70d next to a 50mm on a full frame, they will look pretty close to the same?
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: cropped body and lenses

Any distortion is likely to be the result of perspective, rather than cropping or lens angle itself. Just being closer or farther away from a subject will change the point of view, and distance between objects.

As far as distortion, I suppose it depends on the lens. My Rokinon 14mm, which looks very noticeably fisheyed on my full frame 5D mark II, really does look just like a 20mm on our crop factor. Whereas, I'm sure, a lens MADE for crop-factor only might still give wide-angle distortion.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
I understand the concept you get a lens based of what it really is after factoring in the crop factor. My question is, if I get a 30mm wide angle lens to get as close as possible 50mm on my 70d, will the fact that its a wide angle lens distort the image at all? Or if I put that 30mm on the 70d next to a 50mm on a full frame, they will look pretty close to the same?
Hey Sean, this is what I currently believe, but I might be completely wrong. So, if anyone who reads this post actually knows what they're talking about, please correct me!

1. 30mm lenses don't usually have noticeable barrel distortion anyway. It's worth looking into lens reviews of whatever particular lens you're asking about. But I've got a feeling you don't really have to worry about distortion until you reach low 20s and below.

2. in fact, using full frame lenses with distortion on crop sensor cameras is more likely to reduce distortion, if anything, because the sensor effectively crops out the distorted edges. That's how I understand these things work anyway...

3. 30 on crop vs 50 on full frame -- they will look pretty close to the same, but they're not going to be the same. Or, to put it another way: same field of view, but different perspective. Similar to using a 200mm on a person for a close-up, or stepping close with a 35 -- same field of view, but perspective different.

Like I said, I might be completely wrong about the above, but anyway...
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Crop factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques