E-Cigarettes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

E-Cigarettes

Well I started filming weddings the same year the smoking ban in the UK came into force (2007) so I've only ever caught smokers in shot outside a venue. I usually don't use shots of people smoking because IMO it simply doesn't look nice (sorry smokers - I am an ex-smoker BTW) however at last week's wedding loads of people seem to be smoking E-Cigarettes but they are allowed to be smoked inside a building, so they seemed to be everywhere - even the bride and groom were smoking them on the top table during the speeches!!!

I'm not sure if I want to continue my policy of not including shots of people smoking if E-Cigarettes are set to become so prolific (plus I think they look a little stupid - a bit like the long cigarette holders of yesteryear)

Thoughts?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: E-Cigarettes

I try to prevent to shoot people having a cigarette unless everybody is holding one, I"d just wait untill the cigarette is not in the image and if that is not possible I just will include it.
In your case if lot's of people where using e-cigarettes (didn't know they existed) during a speech and even the groom or bride I would try to keep it out of frame but if that doesn't work, I just would include it in the shot and wouldn't worry any further about it. I personally find it "not done" at a wedding, you smoke outside, even if you are just pretending. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think you're just going to have to take it on a case by case basis, Peter and go with what feels right.

I'm just glad I haven't come across that yet. They are very popular here in the U.S., which is unfortunate, as I doubt they are very healthy.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

They are banned over here but you still see them occasionally as people can still get them online and use them but never seen them inside a venue.
I try to make a habit of not filming people smoking outside and for my guest interviews outside in Summer, I'll make sure the shot excludes it. I also try not to shoot people eating as I feel that's not exactly a flattering shot. That was another reason I stopped doing ethnic weddings as they complained bitterly that I wasn't doing any footage of guests eating which is some cultures shows the guests are appreciating the food served to them ... I'll do the bridal party serving themselves at a buffet but it stops there.

Having the E-cigs inside the venue must make the footage look a little tacky but then again, we are there to record the day as it happens are we not?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Peter you feel the same way about people smoking as I feel about people with a drink or beer bottle in their hand. You are a former smoker and I am a smoker but also a former drinker. IMO, neither are particularly flattering in general. But how far does one go to eliminate certain content from their project? As most have said, as years pass it was the people at the wedding, who the bride goes back to view the most. If you eliminate all the smokers and I, hypothetically, eliminate all the drinkers, might we end up leaving out people who years later someone wishes to remember was there?
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #6
Trustee

Peter same here, all good then these blasted things came in last year, nothing we can do but to put them in the footage. I did get used to the new smoking ban law and think it was a brilliant idea but as per usual if there is a slight way people can break the law they will and whilst not breaking the law yet!! people are now smoking these dam e cigs inside rather than go outside again. Pure laziness and me personally i think all smokers look disgusting (no disrespect).
Like everything else that we think is tacky or wrong for our films i am now putting everything in as the clients are getting more and more judgmental as to what the end product should be like and making sure they get their monies worth and i mean every penny.!! So e-cigs and anything else that looks tacky is going in their video.
Whilst we are on the subject of smoking, Where i live there are cigy stumps every where, people with not two pennies to rub together spending their only money killing themselves. My granddad smoked heavy and died of throat cancer. Then again the most popular program-me, Emerdale in uk they all smoke on there so people think its normal. My pet hate smoking.... Rant over, ha.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Chip

Likewise with over use of alcohol, I don't film drunk and disorderly guests either ..they serve no part in a wedding and despite the abundance of alcohol a wedding is supposed to be a classy affair not a drunken smoke filled orgy. We really just have to put up with peoples habits ... luckily here smokers have to go outside the venue but the drunken boozers can stay inside and wreak havoc! I have had a drunk guest go to my gear and pick up my second cam and stagger around the dance floor saying "Look I'm the video guy" .. My pet hate of course is the drunks who insist on sticking their faces in my lens hood while I'm filming the first dance and think it's funny .. I normally respond by reminding them that they have just spoilt a precious moment for the bride and do they feel so smart now? After that they usually sulk away and harass some other poor guests. At least the smokers are well behaved and not uncontrollable (unless they have decided to have a joint outside of course)

Such is our life as wedding videographers I guess ..one of the reasons I only shoot until the first dance is that the guys who are determined to get drunk will be at their worst after I leave! Yay!!

It's not only smokers at weddings who cause issues ! Don't get me started on the guests with iPhones, tablets and such who decide to "film" the speeches and block my shots or even those who simply walk in front of my camera so don't get me started on that topic!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques