Slow motion clips techniques? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Slow motion clips techniques?

I have never been much for slow motion but I thought I might expand my horizons tis year and try it a bit. Our cams only shoot 720 at 60p. We usually run everything at 1080 at 24p. My plan was to upscale the 720 to 1080 and run the 60p footage at 40% giving me my 24 frame a second. Does anyone else use this technique? If not what do you use? I am slightly worried about the quality lose and aliasing that an occur with it. Any thoughts?
Derek Neustaeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Slow motion clips techniques?

I do that all the time on my 5d3 & 6D for every wedding, mostly during the dancing when I'm flying. You really can't notice much of a quality difference, especially when only watched online. It works great. Obviously I'd love 60fps at 1080, but it definitely does work. Do some tests and you'll see.
Noah Ruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Slow motion clips techniques?

Derek, what NLE are you using?

I use Premiere Pro CC, and a much faster solution would be to simply import the 60p clips, interpret them to 23.976 in the project panel, drop them on the 1080p/24p timeline, and scale them up to fill the frame. Depending on the camera you're using, the difference in resolution and aliasing shouldn't bother a normal viewer. Most would never notice.

Skip to 49 seconds in this video (the closeups of the hair and the next few shots) they're all 720/60p shots played at 24p and upscaled on the timeline to match the 1080/24p footage: https://vimeo.com/92824164

Conversely, you could do what I used to do all time--edit the whole project on a 720p timeline, and scale the 1080p footage DOWN to match the 720p stuff. That gives you lots of options for cropping/zooming/whatever in post to the 1080p footage.

Though I suppose it probably makes more sense to uprez the few 720p shots than it does to downscale all the 1080p stuff.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques